Science Forums

The Most Important Election of Our Lives

questor

The upcoming elections may well be the most important of our lives. We are facing a possible world-wide depression, a 7 year old war in Iraq, an ongoing struggle in Afghanistan which may get worse, a potential loss of our lone superpower status due to the rapid emergence of China, and a restless and

divided American electorate. Our world has changed dramatically in the last few weeks. We have not yet fully realized the magnitude or scope of this change and our politicians don't seem to have a clue as to what to do.

Now, onto this stage comes a relatively young man of minimal experience in governorship, economics, or foreign policy...pitted against an older man of considerable experience, but weighed down by his affiliation with an unpopular administration. The question is..Whom will you entrust with this monumental task facing the country and impinging on every part of your life?

Will your decision be based on dislike, past grievances, critiques by your peers, stories in the press or will you consider thoughtfully, seek true information and vote for the person you have the most confidence in regardless of political party?

Politics can be a contentious subject, but the purpose of this thread is to

try to determine the basic reasons why each person will vote for his choice.

I know some people just don't like Dems/Repubs for whatever reason, but let's discuss your core reason for your vote.

I try to vote for the person I think will do the most to help people who are worse off than I am. Sometimes that means voting for the liberal, sometimes it means the more conservative. I will almost always choose peace over war, and personal freedoms over restrictions. I tend to look at the total of a person's education, experience, and behavior during the race. During a Presidential election, foreign policy experience, or at least strong exposure to other cultures, is definitely a factor.

In this election, I think that both Obama and McCain make strong candidates. I lean toward Obama in large part out of reaction against the current administration and a distaste for what the Republicans have done with the power they were given. I do worry that the Democrats will gain too much power, which is likely to be just as bad (I tend to think that when the parties are nearly equal in power, and thus busy squabbling amongst themselves, the country is better off). However, McCain's choice of Palin as VP really did it for me - there are a number of things about her that simply frighten me, and I do not wish her to be President.

As an non-American not living in America, i believe none of the two will make a difference to the world. I watch the presidential elections being actively covered in my country (the most powerful post in the world. seems like a scene from a futuristic movie) and find little will be different for the rest of the world.

Both parties believe in democracy and capitalism. And America will always try to be a dominating superpower all over the world. Economically and militarily. Maybe one believes in less armed interference. But most of the problems out there in America are so very different than what you see in elections in the rest of the world.

Then again, this thread isn't even my place to post. Let the Americans talk and discuss.

I would suggest that this is the 2nd most important election, the first being the last one. Unfortunately we wound up in pretty bad shape.

To this election though, I agree, it is critically important.

I really liked McCain and had moments of considering voting for him. Basically I guess you could say I was undecided leaning towards Obama.

His choice of Palin but me solidly in the Obama camp.

I think the best result would be for Obama to win the presidency and a slight majority in congress for the republicans.

The lies in from the supporters of the republicans and the past behavior of the republicans shouldn't, in a perfect world, influence my vote, I agree with that. However, if people that would promote outright manipulative lies, such as Obama was a muslim, support the republican party, it just ends up playing a role in my decision making.

If the US was a private citizen, he would probably file for bankruptcy. A bankrupt person cannot help the less fortunate. It would seem to me that

the first thing to do would be to stop the wars and get our economy in shape, or else we will all be the ''less fortunate''. We need all our best minds and experience to do this. Do you think Obama is up to the task? What experience does he have that convinces you he is up to the task?

His experience as a community organizer (a job which he took despite having a very good degree from an excellent institution) helps assure me that he not only knows how to organize large groups of people and that he is more interested in helping people than helping himself. His degree in Constitutional Law provides good evidence to me that he is one of our best minds. I agree that McCain has shown that he is intelligent and good at getting things done in DC, but he has pushed for lower regulation of the economy for decades, and his party (to which he would be partially indebted for getting him into the white house) is the party that got us into the war. He also desires to expand the war, and has said such. Palin is even worse - she does not come off as intelligent, and she has no foreign experience, which is absolutely necessary for the next President. Or Vice-President.

IMHO, the #1 problem for the next 4 years will be our economy. Obama gained no experience in economics by being a community organizer (whatever that is). North Korea is gearing up for another attempt at nuclear weapons, as is Iran. What will he do about this? These issues are of utmost importance

to us and the world. We need the most experience and diplomatic expertise we can muster. I can't see it in Obama. You can't fake it with rhetoric and platitudes, you have to deliver it and get it right.

If the US was a private citizen, he would probably file for bankruptcy. A bankrupt person cannot help the less fortunate. It would seem to me that

the first thing to do would be to stop the wars and get our economy in shape, or else we will all be the ''less fortunate''. We need all our best minds and experience to do this. Do you think Obama is up to the task? What experience does he have that convinces you he is up to the task?

Questor, why the hell would we want to keep the same political system in control that drove us to bankruptcy in the first place? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is crazy. Obama might screw up completely but McCain is sure to screw up, he is nothing more than Bush 2.0. McCain is just another neocon who wants to follow the neocon party line to oblivion.

The upcoming elections may well be the most important of our lives.

Politics can be a contentious subject, but the purpose of this thread is to

try to determine the basic reasons why each person will vote for his choice.

I know some people just don't like Dems/Repubs for whatever reason, but let's discuss your core reason for your vote.

There is nothing I hate more than being faced in the ballot box with making a decision based on who I think is the lesser of two evils. I dont like the decision I am facing in this election, same old (mcCain) and the ill-defined habits of Obama. I have no idea what Obama will actually do. He talks a good game but the devil is in the details. Hes been a senator of the USA and I have not seen anything spectacular coming from his office. He has great speech writers, but I am not voting for the debate club president, I am voting for the coach of the football team.

There is also my internal struggle that began with the primaries and why would I want to put the first woman or first black man into an office that is going to bear the brunt of the last 8 years failure to imagine the future accurately? Under that line of reasoning, McCain would get my vote under the You F'ed it up, you fix it line. But then again, both of those democratic senators had their votes to cast on every decision that has put the US where it is right now.

I am very likely to vote 3rd party.

While everybody considers it chic to bash Bush ( and he deserves it), what about the legislative branch led for the last two years by the Dems? They have had plenty of time to do something except stand around and criticise Bush. Why didn't they authorize drilling 2 years ago instead of fighting it? We would be 2 years closer to pumping our own gas. Why didn't they oversee the bank auditors to insure the real estate loans were properly collateralized?

Why haven't they tried to clean up government waste? Why do they want to raise taxes on an already overtaxed populace? The Dem leaders are not constructive, they are destructive to a healthy economy.

Do you understand how our system works? You need a 2/3 majority to overcome a veto. The Democrats had a slim majority, which means that they would need all the democrats plus a large number of republicans to overcome a veto. Since the veto would be coming from a high ranking republican to begin with, they would have needed to get a large number of republicans to feel very strongly against the republican establishment. Overcoming a presidential veto is NOT easy, even when it's something like SCHIP, giving health insurance to poor children.

Do you understand how our system works? You need a 2/3 majority to overcome a veto. The Democrats had a slim majority, which means that they would need all the democrats plus a large number of republicans to overcome a veto. Since the veto would be coming from a high ranking republican to begin with, they would have needed to get a large number of republicans to feel very strongly against the republican establishment. Overcoming a presidential veto is NOT easy, even when it's something like SCHIP, giving health insurance to poor children.

The very process for a 'bill' to reach the President, requires a good deal of compromise. In that compromise is your problem and why most Presidents veto anything, amendments. Bush however, has used the veto, less than any President in history.

IMO; Bill's should reflect the interest of the Nation, not the interest of a PARTY or the States one party represents. I understand House Members are intended to represent the needs of their State, but this is not what Senator's were intended to do...

By the way, the minority party can keep a bill tied up if they wish... SCHIP, EXTENDED coverage well beyond POOR children and truly poor children are covered by many other laws...It was an incremental move toward 'Universal Healthcare'...