Science Forums

Your *amazing* macroscopic plant detail photos.

Ganoderma

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Awesome photo Turtle!

Thanks. :hihi: Seems the teeny-tiny hook on the seed top is a key identifying feature for this buttercup as there is a similar Straight-beaked Buttercup, Ranunculus orthorhynchus. :hyper:

This is a shot of a native Washington species I collected in the wild and have growing in my garden. The web gives a happy coincidence of the scale of this petite flower. :hihi:

Fringecup - Tellima grandiflora

• 4 months later...

Not mine but some amazing stuff here

SECOND PLACE:

This image is not an insect's antennae, but rather the flower stem section of a spiny sow thistle (Sonchus asper) magnified 150x. The plant, often considered a weed in North America, was imaged on a dark-field microscope by Gerd Guenther of Düsseldorf, Germany.

Petite Pictures: The 20 Microscopic Photo Competition Prizewinners: Scientific American Slideshows

Did i see amicrosope (digital?) that links to your computer screen somewhere?

you can hook up your camera to microscopes quite easily. i bought an adapter for my cannon dslr it fits on like a lens, and also screws onto the micrscope eyepiece. i can then hook the camera up via USB to the computer and control it through there with all the settings. works great, but eats batteries!

Thanks

I guess I ask because I have had all sorts of dinky microscopes during my lifetime. I even got a fairly expensive one for my kids.

The trouble seems always how to get enough light on the subject.

The Konus looks like good value-thanks

Konus 450x Konuspix Digital Microscopes come with double illumination with incidental and transmitted light. Special microscope head camera changes into web camera (webcam) and digital camera (digicam). USB cable for computer connection is provided and makes it easy to connect this microscope to any computer. Microscope's digital camera supports 640x480 pixels. KONUSPIX-4 Digital Microscope is supplied with PC software for image processing. Konus 450x Konuspix Digital Microscope Web Camera & PC from OpticsPlanet is a great gift for kids and allows children ages 3 and above enjoy and discover the beauty of the micro world!

When i win the lottery i will start again with digital SLR cameras.

yes,lighting with many scopes and trying to get surface detail is tricky, and generally best done no more than 40x....when you get down to things like 400x and 1000x there is no space for above lighting, and gotta rely on bottom lighting unless you have some other setups going....but the common scopes tend to be like this.

you dont need slr cameras....i used to take many microscope shots just by setting up the camera on a tripod and lining it up with the scope (now that was REALLY time consuming!!!) but on a budget is just as well.

some new pics, plants & critters this time

ants farming mealies on an Agave

cactus rot progression (fungal)

lotus seed pod

Some mutated flowers of A. nervosa

• 3 months later...
The trickiest part at such very close proximity to the lens, is getting light on the subject.

The other problem is depth of field I've noticed,

and there is no option to adjust the f-stop on the cam.

roger light problem. light ring. :idea:

on the f-stop adjust, if there is no manual control on the camera, you may be able to control it by setting the exposure higher if it's not at full. to get the proper exposure, the camera then compensates by stopping down which gives a greater depth of field. :) mind you this only works for some cameras & the user will have to experiment. :cap: say macro! :photos:

• 2 weeks later...