Science Forums

First aid for animals

Chacmool

My beloved cat died a few days ago. He was like my own child, and I am heartbroken.

He choked to death, and I was totally clueless on how to save him. I feel very guilty, so I thought I would try and educate myself and others on how to potentially save an animal's life.

I found this useful article explaining what to do if a cat is choking. If only I had this information sooner... :doh:

Does anyone have more first aid tips?

Sorry to hear about your cat, Chac - but what did it choke on?

Thanks, Boerseun.

I'm not quite sure what happened. I woke up during the night when I heard him gagging, but he must have been struggling for a while already. I was unable to dislodge any object or to help him get air. It must have been a terrible, frightening way to die. :doh:

Sorry to hear that Chacmool. :(

I have passed the article to my friends with pets in hopes that they do not go through the same thing. Who knows? You may become responsible for saved lives in the future.

Thanks. My hope is that something good will come out of this tragedy.

Another good thing is that I will probably adopt a cat from the local animal shelter soon. I went there today to drop off my cat's leftover pellets, and there are the most beautiful kitties! Also, they are going to put a commemorative plaque for Chesh in the garden.

I can't believe how many people just abandon their pets. A huge problem in South Africa at the moment is that droves of people are emigrating and many of them can't afford to or don't want to take their pets along. :doh:

Here is some more first aid for our best friends.

Where I live, summers can be scorchingly hot. It is important to remember to NEVER leave an animal (or a child, for that matter) in a car baking out in the sun. Not even with the window slightly open.

If your pet does somehow get heat stroke, here is what you can do. There are also useful tips on what to do in the case of hypothermia.

Basic first aid for pets is pretty close to that of humans. The main thing you have to be weary of is any sort of medication. Basic wound care is pretty much the same as well as the Heimlich. One should remember that an injured animal is a stressed animal and is much more likely to bite.

Pet overpopulation is a huge problem (I run a local animal shelter). It is amazing what simple things can help reduce the homeless animal population.

Spay/neutering has a huge impact. A single unaltered dog or cat can potentially grow to 60,000 pets in 6 years (The wonders of exponential growth...).

Microchip your pet also. This is a permanent way to identify an animal and trace it back to the owner.