Science Forums

Keeping Pets Is Reprehensible

Turtle

Environmental and Economic Costs of Nonindigenous Species in the United States

Claims:

The Approximately 50,000 Nonindigenous Species In The United States Cause Major Environmental Damage And Losses Totaling Approximately $137 Billion Per Year

Some of those non-indigenous species it includes are cats, dogs, and fish costing 17 billion, 250 million, and one billion respectively in environmental damage. There is a chart with other pet-like animals.

This looks like a rather reputable study, but the first thing I'm looking at is for cats - page 4 (print page 56) and it's not exactly intuitive. The damage cats are attributed is via killing birds. I sympathize with this because my younger cat is quite the hunter. Despite my best preventative efforts, she bags herself some birds now and then. The paper evaluates this cost on the environment:

Although it is not easy to determine the value of each bird killed, a reasonable value might be $30.

30 dollars per bird? That puts her robins and turtle doves on par with my steak and lobster. The price is justified with this paragraph:

This cost is based on the facts that a bird watcher spends $0.40 per bird observed (USFWS 1988), a hunter spends $216 per bird shot (USFWS 1988), and ornithologists spend $800 per bird reared for release (Tinney 1981). Another way to look at the value of each bird is by considering that EPA fines polluters $10 per fish killed, including small, immature fish (Pimentel and Greiner 1997); a value of $30 per bird therefore seems roughly equivalent.

They figure cats kill 568 million birds per year each costing 30 dollars - so about 17 billion in damages to the environment by our half-domesticated feline friends. If that number represents something real then it is indeed a lot of damage. But, there seems to be some trickery in that figure. I've yet to look at dogs and fish nor any others.

~modest

Cats are extremely prolific (I think that's the word) breeders...I'll have to try and find a link but I recall reading that one female stray can lead to thousands of direct offspring in her lifetime and during this same time span hundreds of thousands of indirect offspring (grand and great grand-kittens).

They make their homes where-ever they can often resulting in property damage and nasty smells which property owners must either learn to deal with or blow some dough to get rid of.

I wonder if that is taken into account in the 17 billion.

Cats are extremely prolific (I think that's the word) breeders...I'll have to try and find a link but I recall reading that one female stray can lead to thousands of direct offspring in her lifetime and during this same time span hundreds of thousands of indirect offspring (grand and great grand-kittens).

They make their homes where-ever they can often resulting in property damage and nasty smells which property owners must either learn to deal with or blow some dough to get rid of.

I wonder if that is taken into account in the 17 billion.

I went looking & still don't have good numbers on the outside breeding. I find we have two terms at play: 1)free-ranging cats; 2) feral cats. So pet cats let to roam free and/or breed if not fixed, and escaped cats roaming free & breeding like Fibonacci numbers. :evil:

Searching free ranging cat trends opens up an overload of data. :eek: Here's the top hit: The Effects of Free-ranging Cats on Birds in Wisconsin,

Studies in Wisconsin and elsewhere indicate that free-ranging domestic cats (Felis catus) pose a threat to birds and other wildlife.

In Wisconsin, concern about free-ranging cats was first highlighted in the mid 1990’s, when a study by Coleman and Temple attempted to study predation by free-ranging cats on birds in rural locations across the state. Extrapolating the results from this study indicated that millions of birds were being killed annually in Wisconsin by cats. Because of the difficulty in studying any species living outdoors across the entire state, the exact number of birds killed annually by free-ranging cats will never be fully enumerated. However, over the past decade additional studies in the Midwest and elsewhere have suggested similar problems with cat predation on birds and should alert us to the fact that free-ranging cats are killing large numbers of birds in Wisconsin each year. Moreover, other studies have shown that cats in some habitats may be directly competing with native avian predators, such as American Kestrels (Falco sparverius), Northern Harriers (Circus cyaneus) and Red-tailed Hawks (Buteo jamaicensis) for prey. ...

I boldened a pertinent bit in relation to more unaccounted costs. For each fewer predator bird shall we add $30? Or how many bird-views it would get @ $.40/view? What else would have eaten those birds the cats killed that now can't? How many were hummingbirds and how many & which plants weren't pollinated by them? How many....er...oh. :doh: Never mind. :D

PS On second thought, we haven't looked into the larger negative societal effects & costs of pet keeping known as hoarding, so in closing, I.....oh... :)

December 24' date=' 2007

Nearly 1500 animal hoarding cases are found annually with the same sad scene – urine and feces covering floors, malnourished dogs and cats that need to be put down and even dead bodies.

According to a document recently released by a team of people from the Hoarding of Animals Research Consortium (HARC), there are three types of hoarders: the overwhelmed caregiver, the rescuer and the exploiter. The overwhelmed caregiver initially cares for their pet and over time, realize that there is a problem. They may be socially isolated but accept getting help. The rescuer develops a compulsion to rescue animals with the belief that they are the only one who can. They find it hard to refuse new animals and steer clear of authorities. The exploiter wants animals to serve their own needs, deny the problem and reject help with the notion that they know best. They may make up excuses for their current circumstance but express no remorse. Some people will fit into a combination of these. ...[/quote']Pet Hoarding -- ZooToo Pet News

Of course, pet hoarding is reprehensible. :)

_______

I'm a bit surprised that the study you referenced above regarding the effect of an increased cat population on avian predators didn't seem to consider that the cats themselves might represent an increase in the supply of prey for those birds. Is that out of the realm of possibility? Will Red-tailed Hawks kill and eat kittens?

Of course, pet hoarding is reprehensible. :D

_______

I'm a bit surprised that the study you referenced above regarding the effect of an increased cat population on avian predators didn't seem to consider that the cats themselves might represent an increase in the supply of prey for those birds. Is that out of the realm of possibility? Will Red-tailed Hawks kill and eat kittens?

Not out of the realm I don't think, no. Wouldn't that make a great photo op though? The 'hang-in-there' kitten dangling from a raptors claws. :eek: :hihi:

While the cat-kill data focuses on birds, the cats likely kill a lot of small critters as well, and while we don't like the mice eating our grain on the farm, mice (& other little kitty prey) serve a purpose in the wider wild circle of life. More food for thought anyway. :) That's what got us all into this after all, i.e. thinking it's innocuous to keep pets. :hyper:

Not out of the realm I don't think, no. Wouldn't that make a great photo op though? The 'hang-in-there' kitten dangling from a raptors claws. :eek: :eek:

:lol::D:hihi::hihi::lol: Good one!

While the cat-kill data focuses on birds, the cats likely kill a lot of small critters as well, and while we don't like the mice eating our grain on the farm, mice (& other little kitty prey) serve a purpose in the wider wild circle of life. More food for thought anyway. :) That's what got us all into this after all, i.e. thinking it's innocuous to keep pets. :hyper:

Well sure, but if I'm a hawk and I'm hungry, and my normal food source is depleated, I'm thinking about eating those fuzzy creatures that have been eating my food.

Since the prey is larger, I would expect the size of hawks to increase over generations assuming feral cats were actually to become an important source of food for them.

But I definitely agree that laws should be implemented and enforced to control the pet population so that it does not have a detrimental effect on the natural environment.

Expecting responsible pet ownership is paramount to that effort, but enacting laws intended to eradicate pet ownership in it's entirety is an over exaggeration, and could potentially lead to an increase in uncontrolled black markets in animal trade, which is something else I find reprehensible.

...Since the prey is larger, I would expect the size of hawks to increase over generations assuming feral cats were actually to become an important source of food for them.

They may instinctively know better than to try & take a cat/kitten. :( Here at least we also have eagles, but they tend to prefer fish around here. The free ranging cats must also be killing millions of snakes, frogs, & toads just to name a few species more. :hihi:

But I definitely agree that laws should be implemented and enforced to control the pet population so that it does not have a detrimental effect on the natural environment.

Expecting responsible pet ownership is paramount to that effort, but enacting laws intended to eradicate pet ownership in it's entirety is an over exaggeration, and could potentially lead to an increase in uncontrolled black markets in animal trade, which is something else I find reprehensible.

I haven't suggested any such law, and I think such abolitions are doomed to failure. I did suggest a law requiring pet owners to carry liability insurance, but received no comment. What would you think of such a law?

Laws are in effect, but people think their right to own pets supercedes these laws. Another dog attack here this week and the news people spent more time showing the owner display photos of her dogs that 'are very well behaved', than the man's injuries. Attacked in his own yard when the dogs pulled a fence board loose. Owner won't be charged though. Dog's will likely be euthanized; she'll get more dogs. :doh: The attack victim is scared to go outside now. :shrug:

Anyway, I was going to post on the larger costs to society of people who keep pigeons for pets, but I'm typed out. I'll get to it soon enough. Turtle out. :lol: :clue:

Anyway, I was going to post on the larger costs to society of people who keep pigeons for pets, but I'm typed out. I'll get to it soon enough. Turtle out. :) :)

This is a particularly damning example of a widespread ethos among pet owners that their rights supercede those of the public at large. Worthy of rebuke I'd say. :doh: :eek:

...Mr. Newcomer listened to tales of pigeon lovers spraying hawks' eyes and beaks with a mixture of bleach and ammonia, creating a lethal gas. Another claimed he beat hawks to death with sticks. Another bragged about a five-gallon bucket full of talons he collected as trophies from his kills. Some boasted about killing 50 birds a year.

The pigeon aficionados did not know Mr. Newcomer was a special agent with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service who had infiltrated their clubs to gather evidence for a large-scale investigation known as Operation High Roller. For a year and a half, he posed as a curious arrival on the roller pigeon scene and tracked the hawk killers with undercover surveillance. He scooped dead hawks out of their garbage at night. ...

Pigeon aficionados by day, hawk killers by night

O.k. then....that seriously P!$$3$ me OFF!!!!!!

I am a firm believer that people like that should recieve the same treatment that they deal out! Birds of prey are awsome! I always feel inspired when I see them. Red Tailed Hawks are my favorite.

This is a particularly damning example of a widespread ethos among pet owners that their rights supercede those of the public at large. Worthy of rebuke I'd say.

I'd say much more than rebuke is in order for anyone that would intentionally harm an animal for reasons other than self defence, defence of family or food.

• 6 months later...

Somebodies poor Scottish fold (cat) has been seeking shelter occasionally under my deck and at my back door. It's either horrifically neglected or recently fully strayed. I'm debating how to handle it... flyers / animal control / let the girlfriend feed it and let it in the garage :) It's an unneutered adolescent male and somebody has sure dropped the ball. It's easily a 300 dollar cat as well :cup:

Keeping pets may not be reprehensible, but some people sure are reprehensible at keeping 'em. :Alien:

~modest

Somebodies poor Scottish fold (cat) has been seeking shelter occasionally under my deck and at my back door. It's either horrifically neglected or recently fully strayed. I'm debating how to handle it... flyers / animal control / let the girlfriend feed it and let it in the garage
If you like the wee beastie, and are willing to endure the annoyances and enjoy the rewards of having a cat, I recommend having him neutered (castrated) and keeping his as a pet. If you do, I strongly recommend you keep him always confined inside – despite opinions to the contrary, all evidence of which I’m aware indicates that “indoor” cats – even former outdoor/feral ones - are more physically and psychologically healthy than outdoor or indoor/outdoor cats, and are much less likely to be injured, killed, become seriously ill, or wreak the various local ecological havocs described in this thread.

Otherwise, since you seem to be describing a show/breeding quality cat, I recommend you contact a fostering/adoption organization specializing in the breed – try a google search for “scottish fold rescue”. There’s been a trend in such orgs to “specialize” along breed lines, as “maybe purebreds” seem to be more desired than “ordinary shelter” animals. In many cases, the fostered animals are as mongrelized as any, bearing only a faint resemblance to their alleged breed. Every one of these organizations I’ve encountered is “no kill”, meaning they never euthanize an animal they can’t adopt, unless it is suffering excessively from illness or injury. Many consist of networks of peoples homes.

All excellent advice Craig.

I decided to take responsibility for "little bit" (as he's now affectionately known by my girlfriend). I just about called animal control (I'm positive, after all, that he would have been adopted at his age and uniqueness), but there was freezing rain the other night and he showed up soaked and cold... :cat: so :shrug:

Making the final decision was my elder cat (I should say, I currently have 2 cats and a dog)—my eldest cat is a rather-territorial male. Introducing an unneutered, adolescent stray could have been stressful, but little-bit is young-enough that my current cat didn't see him as a threat (but more like a kitten) and is not at all bothered.

He has an appointment tomorrow to be neutered and vaccinated which luckally will be free with some veterinary connections in the family :) I can't be sure, but he already appears to be putting on some weight. He's not terribly malnourished, but certainly to an extent. It's also obvious he's rather-well domesticated. I've left a message with city animal control to see if anybody's looking for him, and I'm thinking about putting out signs....but, I'm also kinda thinking: whoever didn't care enough to have him neutered or keep track of him probably isn't looking for him and wouldn't be best caring for him if they were.

Turtle,also, sorry for hijacking your thread, Back to the topic :)

~modest

...He has an appointment tomorrow to be neutered and vaccinated which luckally will be free with some veterinary connections in the family :) I can't be sure, but he already appears to be putting on some weight. He's not terribly malnourished, but certainly to an extent. It's also obvious he's rather-well domesticated. I've left a message with city animal control to see if anybody's looking for him, and I'm thinking about putting out signs....but, I'm also kinda thinking: whoever didn't care enough to have him neutered or keep track of him probably isn't looking for him and wouldn't be best caring for him if they were.

Turtle,also, sorry for hijacking your thread, Back to the topic :)

~modest

:) no worries. :cat: :D i was just waiting to see if Craig or someone else was going to respond to Sanctus to ask how many wild critters his healthier/happier/better outdoor kitty might have killed. :shrug:

… I strongly recommend you keep him always confined inside – despite opinions to the contrary, all evidence of which I’m aware indicates that “indoor” cats – even former outdoor/feral ones - are more physically and psychologically healthy than outdoor or indoor/outdoor cats, and are much less likely to be injured, killed, become seriously ill, or wreak the various local ecological havocs described in this thread.
Craig, I think I do not agree on the indoor/outdoor cat-health you wrote about. It depends a bit where you live. At my parents place where we are really in the middle of the forrest, the cats where always only outside, one just died at age around 17 years...
I’m not aware of any statistically rigorous study of it, but a sampling of articles I just googled, appear to agree, give or take a year, with statements such as

On average, an indoor cat lives twelve years but some cats can live for as many as twenty years. In comparison, an outdoor cat’s life expectancy is less than five years.

from Indoors vs Outdoors Cats - Which way is best?.

Statistical data like this can’t be definitively applied to a particular cat and its habitat – some indoor cats die young from indoor misadventures, while some outdoor cats, like the one sanctus mentions, live to an advanced age – and does, as sanctus notes, depend on where you live, but I believe that statistics and commons sense dictate that, because there are typically more hazards outdoors than indoors, life expectancy is reduced for outdoor cats.

Where I lived on and off through my mid 20s (the mid 1980s), southern West Virginia, US, cat mortality was very high, with cats older than 7 being rare. The anecdotal consensus among my neighbors was that most lost cats were either hit by cars or “ran away”, I’m fairly sure most of the “run aways” were either undiscovered car strike victims, or were eaten by predators. Though I’ve seen housecats taken only by dogs, and once, by a bobcat, I’m fairly sure that our local bears and cougars ate them, too.

Housecats are not apex predators.

… i was just waiting to see if Craig or someone else was going to respond to Sanctus to ask how many wild critters his healthier/happier/better outdoor kitty might have killed. :bow:
Housecats are small predators, so it’s no surprise that they prey on small prey. :happybirthday: It’s also, I think, uncontested that the introduction of cats into unusual ecosystems, such as Australia, resulted in dramatic changes, including the extinction of many scientifically interesting animals. However, I think it’s important to recognize that our reaction to kitty carnage is biased by human social sensitivities. Among nonhuman animals, healthy/happy animals kill and are killed by other healthy/happy animals, get injured and sick, at a rate that would appall us, and lead us to deem it a “humanitarian disaster” on a par with the worst genocidal wars, if it were humans being killed and injured.

:) :) :bdayhappy_balloons: I have 3 young (about 2 years old) cats that I never allow outdoors. From a scientific and environmental perspective, I don’t think my decision is of much consequence. I decided thus because my human sensibilities recoil at the prospect of my cats being hurt or killed, or wreaking the bloody havoc experience tells me they would if I let them outside. As I see it, my decision has little to do with protecting nature, and much to do with satisfying my sensibilities, a rationale for which I’m unapologetic.