Science Forums

Strange Days on Planet Earth

nutronjon

This is a show shown on the public broadcasting channel. Well there are two of them. The one I just watched suggest that over fishing the ocean is a significant factor in global warming. Over fishing results in the release of methane, which causes global warming. The solution is fish farms in huge balls that float in the oceans, and leaving the rest of the ocean alone so it recover.

Global warning is endangering many animals. Especially in Africa there is a huge loss of wild life.

The next problem is contamination of underground water, which gets into the ocean and lakes. Here the problem is over population and inability to treat water.

NG Live Home > Washington, D.C. > Films

Strange Days on Planet Earth

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 7 p.m. order tickets | ticket info

A group of bushmeat hunters, from an episode of Strange Days on Planet Earth

Photograph by Mark KnobilWashington, D.C. premiere

The critically acclaimed PBS series National Geographic’s Strange Days on Planet Earth, hosted by Edward Norton, explores mysterious changes happening on our planet with the urgency of a fast-moving, high-tech detective story. See two riveting episodes, Dirty Secrets, which examines world water systems, and Most Dangerous Catch, which explores the shocking effects of overfishing, followed by a discussion with series producer Mark Shelley and Justin Brashares, ecologist, University of California, Berkeley.

This series was created with generous support from ITT Corporation.

This screening is presented as part of the Environmental Film Festival in the Nation's Capital.

This is a show shown on the public broadcasting channel. Well there are two of them. The one I just watched suggest that over fishing the ocean is a significant factor in global warming. Over fishing results in the release of methane, which causes global warming. The solution is fish farms in huge balls that float in the oceans, and leaving the rest of the ocean alone so it recover.

Global warning is endangering many animals. Especially in Africa there is a huge loss of wild life.

The next problem is contamination of underground water, which gets into the ocean and lakes. Here the problem is over population and inability to treat water.

I saw the two hours that were devoted to this topic.

The first strange effects were the natural result of over fishing and the last showed the effects of commercial pollution.

It is a shame the way the oceans are being polluted.

Mike C

1) Conservation - somebody else in the tenebrous future deserves to consume it; and not them, either.

2) Environmentalism - whatever you have of value, we are against it.

3) Endangered - existing on real estate that could be revenue-producing.

4) Compassion - an evolutionarily stupid act committed at others' expense.

5) Conflict resolution - stealing what cannot be earned.

6) Dialogue - non-negotiable demands.

7) Diversity - acceptance based upon disqualification.

8) Globalization - universal opportunity creates pandemic poverty because only workers have money to spend.

9) Government - If you ever need anything, just call me and I'll help you figure out how to live without it, for a fee.

10) Liberalism - political philosophy demanding the possibility of picking up a turd by its clean end.

1) Conservation - somebody else in the tenebrous future deserves to consume it; and not them, either.

2) Environmentalism - whatever you have of value, we are against it.

3) Endangered - existing on real estate that could be revenue-producing.

4) Compassion - an evolutionarily stupid act committed at others' expense.

5) Conflict resolution - stealing what cannot be earned.

6) Dialogue - non-negotiable demands.

7) Diversity - acceptance based upon disqualification.

8) Globalization - universal opportunity creates pandemic poverty because only workers have money to spend.

9) Government - If you ever need anything, just call me and I'll help you figure out how to live without it, for a fee.

10) Liberalism - political philosophy demanding the possibility of picking up a turd by its clean end.

11) Conservetism- The idea that it's ok for every one else to eat **** as long as I don't have to.

I can remember when everyone talked about how sad it was we were polluting the rivers. I guess they didn't think about where that water went back then:doh:

I watched those shows too. I guess tecnically I was a bush meat hunter when I was a kid! I helped my grandfather trap muskrats for their pelts and we not only sold the pelts but also the meat. Muskrat is probably the best small game animals you can eat, it tasts great, and they only eat live plants from along the river, horse weeds, nettle, pig weeds, stuff like that!:shrug: