Science Forums

Light energy and life

nutronjon

I am way too tired for heavy thinking, but have to respond to Moontanman's rejection of the idea of a mystical life force. First, if something is mystical or not, seems to up to the preciever. I have a child's mind and therefore everything is mystical to me. I think of our homes as full of magical, mystical powers that a wizzard of old would have loved to have. We have hot and cold water running out of our walls, little boxes that talk and make music, other boxes with tiny people in them, stars that light up our rooms, boxes that make things hot and boxes that make things cold. Now maybe others don't have a sense of awe and mystery, but to me, these are awesome and mystical powers and I would hate to loose that excited and delightfully fun feeling.

Also amazing to me is coal and such things are trapped solar energy. We can use this energy for heat and to make things move. Even more curious, is what happens to plants when the sunlight is filtered through different colored filters. Plants grow differently depending on which color is filters out. Healthy, normal plants require the full spectrum of light. Does anyone care to explain why?

I am way too tired for heavy thinking, but have to respond to Moontanman's rejection of the idea of a mystical life force. First, if something is mystical or not, seems to up to the preciever. I have a child's mind and therefore everything is mystical to me. I think of our homes as full of magical, mystical powers that a wizzard of old would have loved to have. We have hot and cold water running out of our walls, little boxes that talk and make music, other boxes with tiny people in them, stars that light up our rooms, boxes that make things hot and boxes that make things cold. Now maybe others don't have a sense of awe and mystery, but to me, these are awesome and mystical powers and I would hate to loose that excited and delightfully fun feeling.

Also amazing to me is coal and such things are trapped solar energy. We can use this energy for heat and to make things move. Even more curious, is what happens to plants when the sunlight is filtered through different colored filters. Plants grow differently depending on which color is filters out. Healthy, normal plants require the full spectrum of light. Does anyone care to explain why?

Nutron, feeling the mystery and believing it is a basic part of something are two completely different things. I feel the mystery in a great many things but I know that my feeling this way doesn't make them a mystery. Actually for me understanding how these things work make them even more wonderful than they feel when I have no clue as to how they work.

As for why plants require certain wave lengths actually all green plants grow best under the circumstances they evolved to grow under. Plants that are used to full light do best with full sunlight. Plants that grow in shaded locations have more or less of certain chemicals that help them better use what little light they get. Under the sea you can see an exaggerated version of this as sea water filters out light much more quickly than shade does on land. Plants that grow in deeper or less than clear water tend to be red, brown, or yellow. The deeper you get in the sea the bluer the light becomes. I've been accidentally cut (while scuba diving) at depths below 30 feet or so and the blood comes out a bright florescent green! There is no red light that deep and other pigments in blood reflect the green part of the spectrum. Some corals actually have pigments that allow them to use UV light by causing the light to absorbed and reemitted at a longer wavelength.

As for how or why coal and oil are made up of fossil plants I don't ascribe to that particular theory. Since most people do I won't confuse the situation here by going into why I don't think that is true. If you want to discuss this I am more than willing, but reading the "Deep Hot Biosphere" by Thomas Gold will explain it much better than I can.

You will never lose that feeling...I’m 48, and the more I learn the more awe inspiring and mysterious the world becomes.

People acquire knowledge differently.. some like you acquire it as a natural byproduct of curiosity , and the appreciation of beauty. I believe some see the world as a well mapped out and haveing distinct borders. This is just getting a book, or class confused with the actual territory it is referring to, instead of just a starting point for exploration. Believe me when I tell you, The universe that is right in your back yard is vastly unexplored territory.

To be a good scientist one needs to maintained a child like curiosity, as well as a sobriety of the mind found in a hunter or explorer.

Nutron, feeling the mystery and believing it is a basic part of something are two completely different things. I feel the mystery in a great many things but I know that my feeling this way doesn't make them a mystery. Actually for me understanding how these things work make them even more wonderful than they feel when I have no clue as to how they work.

As for why plants require certain wave lengths actually all green plants grow best under the circumstances they evolved to grow under. Plants that are used to full light do best with full sunlight. Plants that grow in shaded locations have more or less of certain chemicals that help them better use what little light they get. Under the sea you can see an exaggerated version of this as sea water filters out light much more quickly than shade does on land. Plants that grow in deeper or less than clear water tend to be red, brown, or yellow. The deeper you get in the sea the bluer the light becomes. I've been accidentally cut (while scuba diving) at depths below 30 feet or so and the blood comes out a bright florescent green! There is no red light that deep and other pigments in blood reflect the green part of the spectrum. Some corals actually have pigments that allow them to use UV light by causing the light to absorbed and reemitted at a longer wavelength.

As for how or why coal and oil are made up of fossil plants I don't ascribe to that particular theory. Since most people do I won't confuse the situation here by going into why I don't think that is true. If you want to discuss this I am more than willing, but reading the "Deep Hot Biosphere" by Thomas Gold will explain it much better than I can.

Man, you excited my thinking and made my heart pound faster. Green blood? that would be a trip. What did you think? Were you ready to see green blood?

I have heard it suggested that desert plants, began as under water plants. I think they look a lot alike. Now I want a picture of ocean plants showing at what level different plants grow, and a better understanding of light at these levels. Come to think of it, we are told life began in the sea, and could that have something to do with what water does to light?

Your explanation made me think of the difficulty Black people have in absording vitamin D in the north, especially in cloudy regions, and the problem of too much sun for White people. What a different way to understand such things, when thinking of plants and sunlight too.

However, Moontanman, your explanation is not complete. Plants on land are crippled if they don't have the full spectrum light. I can not find the article that shows what happens when the different colors are filtered out, but have found an explanation of how ultraviolent light is not good for plants. What is blazes are these different colors in light in the first place? What would cause each color to have a different wave length, and why do plants respond differently to the wave lengths. What is happening here?

The reason plants appear green is because they relect what they do not absorb. In other words they are spitting the spectrum into the wave lenght needed in the photosynthetic process.

In biology, plants harness PHI-cycle geometry in photosynthesis to transform sunshine into sugar. Chlorophyll invites light into a 5-step water splitting cycle. Four photons of light strip four protons and four electrons from two water molecules, releasing a molecule of oxygen.

Solar fire split's Earth's water to liberate electrons, the common currency of chemistry. A chloroplast is a PHI spiral vortex of enzymes, minerals and water, where beams of light become spinning charge (electrons) racing around 5- and 6-carbon rings (sugar), common currency of biology.

http://http://www.championtrees.org/yarrow/phi/phi4.htm

Man, you excited my thinking and made my heart pound faster. Green blood? that would be a trip. What did you think? Were you ready to see green blood?

I have heard it suggested that desert plants, began as under water plants. I think they look a lot alike. Now I want a picture of ocean plants showing at what level different plants grow, and a better understanding of light at these levels. Come to think of it, we are told life began in the sea, and could that have something to do with what water does to light?

Your explanation made me think of the difficulty Black people have in absording vitamin D in the north, especially in cloudy regions, and the problem of too much sun for White people. What a different way to understand such things, when thinking of plants and sunlight too.

However, Moontanman, your explanation is not complete. Plants on land are crippled if they don't have the full spectrum light. I can not find the article that shows what happens when the different colors are filtered out, but have found an explanation of how ultraviolent light is not good for plants. What is blazes are these different colors in light in the first place? What would cause each color to have a different wave length, and why do plants respond differently to the wave lengths. What is happening here?

The green blood was kind of freaky, I was tempted from then on to cut a little but every time I went under just to see it.

I'm not sure about all desert plants but I know that cacti are thought to have evolved from rain forest plants that grew with out soil on trees. they dried out between rains so they were "preadapted" to desert life to a great extent.

I like the idea that life began deep under ground and moved to the light but the light does have a huge effect on sea life.

Different colors of light have to do with the engery that is contained in the photons and the wave length. Short wave length light like ultra violet has short a wave length and energetic photons. Red light has longer wave lenghts and less energy. Green vascular plants basically use red and blue light. The different pigments in sea plants allow them to use other wavelenghts more effeciently. The spectrum goes from low energy photons long wave lenghts in this order, infrared, Red, orange, yellow, green, blue violet, and ultra violet, to short wave lengths high energy photons. IR being longer and UV being shorter. This can be extened in both directions with Gamm rays being the shortest and very long radio waves being the longest. It is true that plants do better under full spectrum lighting but fantastic plant growth can be had by giving a plant light heavy in the wave lenths it uses most effeceintly.

I am way too tired for heavy thinking

1) Mystics are baffled by the obvious yet possess a complete understanding of the nonexistent.

2) Education discloses to the wise and disguises from the foolish their lack of understanding.

3) If you are too tired to think, embrace religion. Anybody can fashion a light switch. Few can empower it to accomplish something useful on demand.

Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing."

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Collected Quotes from Albert Einstein

What is blazes are these different colors in light in the first place? What would cause each color to have a different wave length, and why do plants respond differently to the wave lengths. What is happening here?

This is talked about quite a bit in this thread. I recommend reading a few pages into it from where I linked. :doh:

WOW:shrug: You guys are awesome! For a moment, I forgot I need to go to work, and that could disasterous. I better put reading this thread on hold until this weekend. Is there a good way to save threads in our personal files? I didn't know there is so much information to work with, just that I am fascinated by this light and transmutation thing.

I want to get one of my granddaughter's excited, so she might pursue science and this energy/transmutation thing. She is the only grandchild who I can influence in this way. :hihi: :nono: But at least I have a chance with one child, and I want to keep this thread and the one freeztar linked to, where I can easily find it and it won't get lost on a back page.

If people studied this stuff like they study their bibles, we might have a totally awesome reality. I love how you all think! And thank you all for being so patient with me.