Science Forums

Berlusconi elected again...:(

sanctus

Well, it seems that I have to boycott Italy again, even if I'm italian too (double nationality). I really can't understand how people can still vote for someone who amongst other changes laws to suit himself...for example he can't be proceessed as long as he is president even if there are many publicly known issues to process him...

I mean here it is not about ideas, it is about the person I never would vote for someone who has my ideas if he is a background like Berlusconi.... I wonder what are the motives of the majority that voted for him...

For those who don't know him, wikipedia gives a good resume:

Silvio Berlusconi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

for example from that source:

His ownership of an Italian television network has been controversial. According to Berlusconi's adversaries, the Mediaset (Fininvest's media division) TV channels have played a crucial role in his political success by airing propaganda during news or other information-oriented programming. In contrast, his supporters claim that the networks have always maintained a neutral political stance.

After Berlusconi's election as Prime Minister, the left accused him of also abusing his position as premier to control the publicly owned RAI TV channels. In practice, they maintain, this permits him to control almost all TV sources of information, while the right insists that the RAI channels are, if anything, biased in favor of the centre-left. According to independent observers[4], two of the State channels (Rai 1 and Rai 2) had been indeed controlled by Berlusconi's government, while Rai 3 managed to retain independence and a critical stance. Such control, in a famous example, was displayed when Berlusconi called Member of European Parliament Martin Schultz a "Nazi kapo", and the Rai 1 news program showed the incident with no audio and offering a misleading account. Political debate in Italy has become rather alienating, as the contenders often seem to completely lack a shared information source regarded as neutral and reliable. Although Berlusconi officially resigned from all functions in his commercial group in 1994 upon entering political office, he is still the largest shareholder and is perceived to have retained control.

Section 5 and 7 give also good insights...

Thanks for sharing this, sanctus.

It's starting to get really frustrating. With all of the bad leadership and heinous acts occurring in the world, I think that I am quite possible starting to believe in the rapture. :beer:

It's seriously time for us all to tighten the sails and go left full rudder. :beer:

It's a sad day for Italy, but after all, if he is elected by popular vote then someone must want to keep him in charge. :eek:

While I think that your statement really hits the nail on the head, it is contingent on two very important caveats. One, that the election process adequately represents the wants and desires of the greater populace. Two, that people vote based on their own wants and desires, and not in some sheepish block.