Science Forums

Who has a bored cluster? REV 2.0

4-CPU cluster timing run set up for 12 points, 3 points/CPU. The first command line should write results within a fractional second. You have the correct long_double_precision CHI values from the serial runs. It verifies operation and sets the first time stamp. The second line is the timing run. If the first line is OK it is only a matter of waiting. The serial timing runs gave you the correct long_double_precision values for CHI for 30,000, 30,001, and 30,002 angstrom radii. If you compiled double_precision (Microsoft crap compilers) obtained CHI values will be different toward the right side.

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/uncleal3.zip

chipirbz.cpp - C++ source file, CHIpir loaded for full benzil. It is in UNIX format - linefeeds only. It must be compiled for the cluster OS.

readme.pir - Instructions and documentation.

timer.pir - Timing script file for 4 CPUs in cluster. 12 points calculated.

mpirun -np 5 ./chipirbz 3.35 0.15 5.0 1 1 >> time1.pir

mpirun -np 5 ./chipirbz 29999.0 1.0 30011.0 1 1 >> time2.pir

If it bombs for "-np 5" try "-np 4" (number of CPUs used plus the master)

buying time on the amazon cluster applying for the UCAL or MIT cluster usage

The short form: Resources won't be allocated unless justified by, for instance, a scholarly publication. No journal will publish except for experimental results. Professional management is about process not product.

I don't criticize the System, I turn my back on it. This comes out of my own wallet, with volunteers as available. It's a hobby. If it overturns all of physics on a tiny technicality... that's as much fun as anybody can have wthout being naked. If it validates physics as is, it was also fun.

"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong," Richard Feynman. Sombody should look; me, for instance. You if it pleases you. If it stops being interesting, stop. No harm, no foul.

Alexander,

800mhz PPC box

a Netra T1

my AMD64 3400+ box (desktop, but i would not mind, for a little while )

i may have a 1.0 ghz p3 sitting upstairs (my dad's PC, and i know he is not using that)

Too slow as single CPUs! Boot Linux (Knoppix LIVE! DvD is wonderful), try the timing run.

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/uncleal2.zip

An AMD FX-55 does it (difference of output file timestamps) in 36 min 4 sec. You are looking at hours! Calculating pi to 2.1 million decimal places is 5.95 sec in the FX-55. The next points in the CHI crunch are 1.7 hrs (6100 secs) each and then longer - at least 1000 points. It is an ugly probem.

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/uncleal2.zip

timing run

A "little time" won't do it. I ran the FX-55 for 80 days at 99.9% CPU while the rest of the house ran off a 200 MHz Pentium II. It needs a cluster now.

Inte3rc3pt (aka morally corrupted) has

800 Mhz box

another slow box

P4HT

his crazy AMD box

We went looking for sour CPUs in a 168-CPU Pentium cluster in Europe over six weekends (found 3 unreliable cores). It outperformed a 16-cluster of Opteron-848s... but not by much. Intel Pentiums are crap CPUs for doing heavy maths.

let me see what i have kicking around the garage, i may have another machine or two that may need to be put together

I would not be looking for large caliber capability if it were an easy problem. The number of atoms crunched increases as (radius)^3. We've got compute time down to (radius)^2. The problem starts at 107 trillion atoms and goes to 1 quadrillion atoms, 10^15. It's got to be a cluster or a single CPU well beyond an AMD FX-55 - a 3 GHz FX-74 or a 2.5 GHz Phenom X4 9850 would be interesting. A single Pentium box is unsuitable - but you know that! Wintel is a bad joke, Vista is its punchline.

What will Intel 45 nm architecture, hafnium oxide, quad-core CPUs accomplish? They'll boot Vista in 4 GB of RAM and leave you a MB of memory free in which to run DOS. Slowly.

Uncle,

I said that in the other thread, i am saying that those machines i can donate to be connected to morally corrupted's cluster, in addition to his 4 machines, i have 4, i still have to look in the garage to piece together one more perhaps...

this would make a total of 8-9 machines running the code, not any individual one. including 2 decently fast boxes, and 6-7 slower boxes, but capable of doing a lot all together.