Science Forums

Who has a bored cluster? REV 2.0

Ran the timer on Single unit P4-HL -though for some reason possible due to my own error my data output doen't resemble the sample data provided.

l run it again on the slowest unit for you later

30000.000 10536230484820 0.999999996563450112

30001.000 10537284108460 0.999999994889044989

30002.000 10538337781848 0.999999992353169516

The numbers are bang-on, as they should be for a given executable, radius/atoms/CHI. What was the difference in timestamps between time1.txt and time2.txt output files? An FX-55 does the second run, the three larger radius points, in 36 min 4 sec. The first file requires a (fractional) second and is only used to set a starting time for the second file.

You don't need an external timer. Merely subtract the two timestamps. That gives better numbers - no other process adding to delays. From README in the ZIP, right at the top of the file,

TIMING RUN: "timer.bat" script file runs executable static file "chibzh" through two radius intervals. No external math libraries are needed. The difference in timestamps is the execution time for the second run for three points: 30,000 A, 30,001 A, and 30,002 A radius. An AMD FX-55 requires 36 min 4 sec.

:8^>)

on nix, you can always use the time command, uncle :) it records time just prior to execution, and calculates the difference after the execution completion....

try it,

time cat /proc/cpuinfo

eliminates the need for that section of the code all together..... you could also use a var to record unix time prior to execution and then just after the finish, the difference will give you run time in seconds...

Thank you! No matter how you do the timing, it is only the timing that matters. Adding another 0.1 log(radius) extension to the graph would require ~63 days in the FX-55. It makes more sense to run in slack time in unused hardware or in a bored cluster. The fitted line may not be perfectly straight. The slight curvature, if any, only shows at large radii.

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/bzhdense.png

78 atoms/unit cell, with hydrogens.

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/bzdense.png

48 atoms/unit cell, no hydrogens.

The hydrogens matter despite the slower crunch

The payoff is a coin flip. If you contribute - after the experiment is run - either you get an Acknowledgement in the published paper (spacetime is chiral) or we don't tell anybody (no surprises observed). Every physicist knows what the answer must be! A similar question was asked Christmas 1956. On New Year's Day 1957 every physicist who knew what the answer must be was proven wrong,

The Fall of Parity

Question authority.

P4 - 01:05:01

AMD 00:43:01

You can appreciate the need for a bored cluster with the parallel processing version of the program. Is the AMD doing anything for a couple of months? Sigh. I can write up a serial script file for new radii with estimated execution times. A single P4 really isn't up to the task. Intel hafnium CPUs with 45 nm architecure will be interesting.

You can try it but I doubt it is that simple if you want speed. My UK programmer worked almost four months transforming serial BigCHI into parallel CHIpir. Each value report is devastating to process throughput. Subtleties. He gave up, then had a dream with the solution. Source code length about doubles. Speed is everything.

For a cluster run you need the big gun primed to fire, with documentation. Tell me how many processors can be grabbed and I'll mount a ZIP including a script file for execution.

You can try it but I doubt it is that simple if you want speed. My UK programmer worked almost four months transforming serial BigCHI into parallel CHIpir. Each value report is devastating to process throughput. Subtleties. He gave up, then had a dream with the solution. Source code length about doubles. Speed is everything.

For a cluster run you need the big gun primed to fire, with documentation. Tell me how many processors can be grabbed and I'll mount a ZIP including a script file for execution.

Well Currently, I have 4 - Alexander has graciously said he could commit 2-3 to the project provided I can run a suitable OS for PPC, etc.. but that's not an issue as BCCD has support in Beta 2.2.2 for PPC's - I can also try to enlist a few more so realistically within about a weeks time could have a 10 node cluster up and runnning.

Running serial BigCHI through MPI probably won't do it. Parallel-executing CHIpir source code is twice as large as that for BigCHI. Speed is important. We do everything to make the executable fast. Tell me how many CPUs are in the cluster and I'll mount a ZIP archive with a script file, the source code, and documentation. Parallel source code should be compiled for the cluster in which it will reside.

Remember - compile long_double_precision - NO Microsoft compilers!

ok, i have 3 machines which i can donate for a little while to the project:

i have

800mhz PPC box

a Netra T1

my AMD64 3400+ box (desktop, but i would not mind, for a little while ;) )

i may have a 1.0 ghz p3 sitting upstairs (my dad's PC, and i know he is not using that)

Inte3rc3pt (aka morally corrupted) has

800 Mhz box

another slow box

P4HT

his crazy AMD box

I used to have a quad 933 p3 box (4 penguins was real nice)... but that's been given as a gift to someone :|

let me see what i have kicking around the garage, i may have another machine or two that may need to be put together :)

I may have another friend who may be able to donate his machine to the project, for a while anyways

i also may have another friend who may be able to just give me his old box, but i have to call him

ooh i wonder if squelch has anything....

I'll know for sure as it gets closer to monday...