Science Forums

Interesting Geology

Turtle

I think this is a volcanic eruption deposit. Also notice, if not chuckle at, how I flinch when the gunshot up the road goes off!

Hi Turtle,

You didn't flinch that much.

I found the following on wiki

Initially, varve was used to describe the separate components of annual layers in glacial lake sediments, but at the 1910 Geological Congress, the Swedish geologist Gerard De Geer (1858-1943) proposed a new formal definition where varve described the whole of any annual sedimentary layer. More recently introduced terms such as 'annually laminated' are synonymous with varve.

Have you ever come across any spherically exfoliating siltstone?

I wonder if one could genetically reverse engineer a turtle to be born without a shell.

I would hold it, and fed it, and make it my little reptile/puppy friend.[ATTACH]2210[/ATTACH]

We are not amused. :eek: :cap: ;) :turtle: :shrug: Well, a little maybe. :(

Hi Turtle,

You didn't flinch that much.

I found the following on wiki

...Initially, varve was used to describe the separate components of annual layers in glacial lake sediments, but at the 1910 Geological Congress, the Swedish geologist Gerard De Geer (1858-1943) proposed a new formal definition where varve described the whole of any annual sedimentary layer. More recently introduced terms such as 'annually laminated' are synonymous with varve.

Have you ever come across any spherically exfoliating siltstone?

An annually laminated formation by any other name, would still taste like dirt. :D I missed that congress; out with the flu if I recall. :eek2: 0.o

No round flaking sedimentary rocks that I recall coming across in the Gifford Pinchot. :clue: It rings a dim bell though; perhaps I ran across such a matter in a lab. :rant:

On the vid of the pyroclastic deposit, I think it is more likely from Mt. Adams or one of its field vents/cones rather than from St. Helens. I'm going to have a closer Google of it. :cap:

Muy Excellente Turtle-san. :eek:

You can still scale and manuever varves with the best of them! :D

The "rock" that you pulled from the layers is apparently Not a rock, but more like a chunk of compressed clay. It didn't wash clean, and it fractured quite easily... ;)

Strange.

You guy's could look for fossils by screening some material. Especially above and below the volcanic layers, or find some wash's cutting though the layers.

Buffalo bagged a large chunk of the first deposit for me; it weighs several pounds. I plan on taking some photos of the layering, and then breaking it apart & sifting through it. Racoon collected a like amount and is going to mix it in with his potting soil. :eek:

With no microscope, I won't be identifying any pollen grains or the like:naughty: :D, but if there's a piece of bone in there I will find it! ;)

I think I have the GoogleEarth marked now with the location of the varve I have been describing. Can I get some feedback on if the file below attached works to take you to the site? Takk. :cap:

Mmmm...the new setup does not allow .kmz files as attachments. Here's the thread instead at GEC: >> Google Earth Community: Varves - glacial lake sediment deposits

That is all. :)

Hey Tortuga,

You can include the video in your GE placemark as a video, though to add it to the post, you must link as you have.

You video displayed in a placemark. Code copied from "embed" in YouTube.

Here's the screenshot of the code showing the YouTube code. <font color="white"> meerly gets rid of the to: from: clutter at the bottom of the post. :)

Hey Tortuga,

You can include the video in your GE placemark as a video, though to add it to the post, you must link as you have.

You video displayed in a placemark. Code copied from "embed" in YouTube.

Here's the screenshot of the code showing the YouTube code. <font color="white"> meerly gets rid of the to: from: clutter at the bottom of the post. :)

:cap: :bow: Roger Wilco! Muchas gracias amigo.

Before I rush off to comply, I have more on the sample collected for me by Buffalo. I weighed the piece at 3 pounds, and have a short video below of the unwrapping & some measuring. This piece is much darker than the brown section I earlier posted, and preparing a clear, flat cross-section is not going well. :( :doh: :D

The piece is damp and very crumbly, and now really a pile of pieces. :hihi: I took some and mixed it with water to form a thick paste, as the texture overall is that of clay. I'm letting it rest and then I'll try throwing a little coil pot.

In a small beaker, I nearly filled it with water and mixed in ~cm^2 of material and broke it up & stirred it good. Now I'm just watching to see how things settle. (My 'beaker' is a glass tea-candle holder, and has ripply glass I now see, making for bad seeing of sediment layering. :):doh:

Finally, here's a photo of a section from this large piece, showing a 15 year period alongside a scale. :photos: :) :cap:

YouTube - Extreme Varve Unwrapping :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVAdDgXWMUg

• 1 month later...

Here's some interesting geology to work around. :hihi: :shrug:

The mysterious forest rings of northern Ontario

...Hamilton first became interested in the rings in 1997 when Sudbury prospector and geologist Bob Komarechka asked him about the potential kimberlite link. Now he has some new theories about how the giant rings were created, and his paper discussing some of the strange electrical phenomena that occur over the rings has been accepted for publication in the journal Geophysics.

According to Hamilton, the forest rings are caused by giant, naturally occurring electrochemical cells — big centres of negative charges (called reduced chimneys) that are frequently situated over metal or mineral deposits or methane (a natural gas source).

Think of them as huge natural electrical batteries with a negative charge in carbonate soil and surrounded by oxygen that carries a positive charge. The current from the batteries — the negative charge — travels outward and where it meets the positive charge, acidic conditions are created that eat away at the carbonate soil, causing it to drop in a circular depression around the natural battery. ...

CBC News In Depth: Science

I live near the only natural outcropping of rock along the entire coast of NC, about the length of a football field, "about a hundred meters for all you illogical metric people":banghead:

It's wild to see the habitat change from miles and miles of nearly blank sand to suddenly find an oasis of rock sticking out of the ocean, very suddenly due to a simple change in geology everything changes, life is suddenly everywhere, algae, echinoderms, crustaceans, anemones, fish and then just as suddenly back to visually lifeless sand........

...It's wild to see the habitat change from miles and miles of nearly blank sand to suddenly find an oasis of rock sticking out of the ocean, very suddenly due to a simple change in geology everything changes, life is suddenly everywhere, algae, echinoderms, crustaceans, anemones, fish and then just as suddenly back to visually lifeless sand........

It's finding simple changes out in the wilds that keeps my interest. I am visiting your rock vicariously. :shrug: :hihi:

:hihi:

A fractionalized melt,

A crystallized belt

Aquamarine and topaz :( :dust:

Gems a plenty is has, :dust:

What is it?

:dust:

Pegmatite?

• 1 month later...
That is amazing!

I loved the link you included. Pictures/Movies help me :)

How long in time, do you think it would take for a pothole like that to form? ;)

Danke. :)

The time required is very dependant on factors such as rock type, frequency of high water levels, number & type of entrapped 'hammer' stones, to name a few. All I can say for sure, is they take many years to form. :hihi:

I went looking for the geology of the area and found the bedrock there referred to as 'mafic lava'. >> http://www.secstate.wa.gov/library/docs/dnr/rm1_2006_002120.pdf

Looking further, and based on my observations :clue:, I think the rock type is gabbro. >> Gabbro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:sherlock: :turtle:

Danke. :clue:

The time required is very dependant on factors such as rock type, frequency of high water levels, number & type of entrapped 'hammer' stones, to name a few. All I can say for sure, is they take many years to form. :turtle:

I went looking for the geology of the area and found the bedrock there referred to as 'mafic lava'. >> http://www.secstate.wa.gov/library/docs/dnr/rm1_2006_002120.pdf

Looking further, and based on my observations :hihi:, I think the rock type is gabbro. >> Gabbro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

;) :sherlock:

Very cool!!! Thanks for the links! That was very informative about Gabbro I had no idea!

• 6 months later...

Today in my garden I chanced on an interesting geological mechanism called frost-heaving. About a week ago, I screened soil through 1/4" hardware cloth, applied ~ 4 inches of the screened soil to this small plot, and raked it smooth. The soil is wet from recent rains, and the temperature dropped last night to 25º F. The formations may have appeared earlier, however I only took noticce today. :hi: :shrug: :shrug: :confused:

Frost heaving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

... The current understanding is that certain soil particles have a high affinity for liquid water. As the liquid water around them freezes, these soils draw in liquid water from the unfrozen soils around them. If the air temperature is below freezing but relatively stable, the heat of fusion from the water that freezes can cause the temperature gradient in the soil to remain constant. The soil at the point where freezing is occurring continues to draw in liquid water from the soils below it, which then freezes and builds up into an "ice lens". Depending on the soil's affinity for moisture and amount of moisture available, a significant amount of soil displacement can result.

The earliest known documentation of frost heaving came in the 1600s....