Science Forums

Have I got Spyware on my Mac?

I don't know if this is the correct place for this but can someone confirm that I've got some form of spyware on my computer because of getting emails returned (That I didn't send) from people using my website and also from previous contacts: Probably the time I had my headphones on, listening to music and clicked onto some spam thoughtlessly, being redirected to a blank website (I turned off the computer as quickly as I could but the bot might have been downloaded by then).

I was going to stick this in the computer science section but I realized it wasn't really the right spot for it but I wasn't sure this was either

Nah, we stuff the "help me! my computer is out to get me!" threads here in Computer Science too. You'd be amazed where these can lead!

This one for example: yes, there has been an upsurge in Mac viruses and spyware and they're getting really sophisticated. Your symptoms could be coincidence (not enough info to tell) but its quite likely one or more viruses. Mac folks are going to have to start buying virus detection again...

A side note: there was a piece in the paper today about virus writers advertising (yes! they advertise!) for people who speak all sorts of languages so that they can build legitimate looking websites to launch infections that are targeted at specific countries! :eek:

Condoms should be marketed in 3 sizes, jumbo, colossal, and super colossal, so that men do not have to go in and ask for the small, ;)

Buffy

Nah, we stuff the "help me! my computer is out to get me!" threads here in Computer Science too. You'd be amazed where these can lead!

Yeah, yeah sure, just dump all the crazy threads into here, see if i care.... sheesh.... but you know what, you are right, who knows where these have lead us...

Now on mac viri, it can get bad, problem is that with each consequent os x, apple has been shittying up their firewall. Instead of using pf, like any normal unix distribution (any bsd and if i'm not mistaken, open solaris), apple is stuck in their own chosen stupid world of IPFW, and if it could not get worse, they have been taking out functionality out of the firewall instead of upgrading and contributing to improve already awesome pf. This leads to problems with security on their OS, so what you need to do (instead of downloading anti virus programs, which is the windows person way of looking at things), you need a good firewall rule set that will prevent things from knowing what they are looking at. Also it helps knowing some terminal commands, you can track viri using our favorite ps or top tools (ps in unix, top would have to be compiled and installed)

It also helps a lot to update when apple releases the update.... any security update needs to be installed and installed as soon as possible after release.

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling even more stupid! Just been on holiday and had a friend throw into a casual conversation that these companies offering to check your site for spyware 'actually' download it, so that you have to pay them to remove it again: It's like someone tossing a bucket of mud over you then innocently offering to dry clean your clothes for you at a cost. Both me and my partner, Margaret, have been caught out by this scam, so added to the original mistake I made when listening to music and paying scant attention to what I was doing (For which I could kick myself),oops - I've done it again and could kick myself, baby one more time! (at least).