Science Forums

Cats purring "can cure osteoporosis & injuries???"

Chels

i came across this while looking for an alternative treatment for osteoporosis, one which didn't involve alendronate, caltrate and hormone therapy, i came across this, my initial reacion is that it is a load of bollocks but i thought i would ask others opnions!

The world’s leading authority on the science of cats purring [and animal sounds in general] is Fauna Communications of the USA. A few years ago when the media was intrigued by the whole notion of cat’s purring being more than a nice sound, it was Fauna who supplied the info.

It is interesting that when [appalling] stuff is tested on animals, we rush to use it, companies declaring it safe. And when animals are proven to have wonderful qualities of healing, communication, empathy, perception, understanding, awareness etc., we [excluding Daily Mews readers of course] are a bit more sceptical.

And so it is with purring! But it is changing, and fast.

Fauna has drawn upon studies that prove beyond doubt that the frequency of a cat’s purr is such that it heals cats’ broken bones, severed tendons and lacerated skin; and also alleviates breathing difficulties.

Everything in the universe has a frequency. We humans know [again this is scientific fact] that certain frequencies heal our bones, and help with pain and muscle strains etc.

Cats purr at a range of between 20 and 50 Hz [measure of frequency]. Our bones heal best at between [wait for it] 20 and 50 Hz! Indeed our healing range goes up to 140 Hz-and yes, so do cat purrs.

Given the UK [and world-wide] has several million actual and potential osteoporosis and asthma sufferers, wouldn’t you think this is something worth investigating? Lobby your MP!

Wouldn’t you rather have a wonderful warm, delightful creature to heal you, or a cold steel machine? And if you can’t get the cat, how about a CD which blends purring with music?

Cat lovers don’t need telling that their beloved pet heals and relaxes [and makes us feel good]. And yet the purring cat can also energise us too! Is there no end to these creatures’ talents?

Let us have the same amount of research put into how animals can and do help the human race as is wasted on boosting flagging/sagging egos and unnecessary cruelty... And unlike humans, cats have no mental baggage about staying ill [and attracting sympathy, escaping from problems, even getting compensation]. Have you never enjoyed a brief bout of [non-life threatening] illness? Never?

A closing quote from Fauna

“Given the data on anabolic frequencies, fracture and healing research, the exact match of the frequencies and amplitudes of the cat's purrs to vibrational therapy research, time proven adages, biomechanical therapy, studies on tendon and muscle repair and Dr. Cook's study, it is certainly not a leap of faith to speculate that the cat's purr is a healing mechanism.”

So there you have it. Cats heal OK?

Hey Chels,

I don't know anything about frequency healing so I really can't address this, but it sounds hokey to me upon first examination.

A note on Copyright:

The article you quoted above is copyrighted. We ask that members only post snippets from the article (usually 2-3 paragraphs to give the main idea) and provide a link so readers can read the rest of the article on the site where it originates.

Please read our rules and if you want more information on fair use with copyrighted materials then please visit the following site: U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use

Thanks! :)

Looked at rationally, maybe there is something to it at least in theory. Firstly vibration would shake something, so that it settled and formed more mass (Look at the effect of sound on sand/ see also Cymatics, for how different tones create different patterns and how this 'could' restructure degraded material).

The way we treat animals and how we react suspiciously to treatments that aren't so cruel and destructive to their health, is down to psychology and how we condemn (look down on as inferior) that which we then feel justified in ill-treating: Ask Dr Mengele and the theory of the 'Untermensch'. What we think of as wonderful, we put on pedestal and try to preserve/ treat well. It's all down to the attitude we employ not the ultimate truth of the situation, that leads us to act as do - negative attitude and destruction (callous disregard for/ revolt at the thought of) or positive reaction and creation of the new/ preservation of the old (loving tenderness). These are mental mechanisms and this is how they work and why (What their purposes are).

The world’s leading authority on the science of cats purring (and animal sounds in general) is Fauna Communications of the USA.

Did it occur to you that the whole thing could be a joke or a sham? Hint:

The Daily Mews???

...the science of cats purring???

Also I checked, Fauna Communications exists (at least it's web site does), and it will sell you CD's of cats purring. Now that does not make them charlatans, but neither does it make them disinterested scientists.

Pending clarification that this is a genuine scientific organisation, I'd take what they say with a dose of salts.

P.S. I doubt this belongs in Alternative Theories, but it is pointless my requesting that every thread put here is moved elsewhere. So I guess I'll have to accept that this is a dumping ground for anything claiming to be remotely scientific. Which is a pity. It was intended to be a place for serious alternative theories put forward by someone willing to defend their ideas.

Well, that was the whole point - to figure out if this possiby could have a scientific claim or not, IS it or is it not, could it be a scientific theory? If it upsets you so much though, i have absolutely no problem with it being moved, in the grand scheme of things there are bigger things to worry about than OMG some newb posted something....IN THE WRONG THREAD!

and how DARE she!

Don't worry, i'll be sure to chastise myself over this one tonight, bless me father for i have sinned!

:)

Anycrap, paigetheoracle, thank you! for your input, i was thinking on a cellular level, vibrations could cause minute disruption of the cell structure, posibly enough to cause the body to recognise this as "wow, somethings going on here" and in turn maybe throw a few prostaglandins their way - maybe even initiate an extremely minor innate immune response???

i mean - check this one out: ww^w.osteopenia3.com/Body-vibration-Osteoporosis.html]Body-vibration Osteoporosis, Ostepenia (sorry about the ^, i cant post links yet)

short-term exposure to whole-body vibration (WBV) or the use of vibrating dumbbells can have beneficial effects on the musculoskeletal system

there actually seems to be a LOT of these "alternatives" to drug therapy in the treatment of osteopenia and osteoporosis, as well as othe rmusculoskeletal disorders, althoug the mechanisms arent completely known yet, there seems to be some promising work being done here.

Well, that was the whole point - to figure out if this possiby could have a scientific claim or not, IS it or is it not, could it be a scientific theory?

Sorry if my comments gave offense, I was just pointing out that there are already places on this site to discuss pseudo-sience and topics of general interest. This forum is not intended for that purpose, but has been the recipient of a steady stream of them.

...in the grand scheme of things there are bigger things to worry about than OMG some newb posted something....IN THE WRONG THREAD!

My comments were intended as a question for the moderators and staff, as to whether it is worthwhile bothering to move the threads. So I think we are actually in agreement, even if it may seem otherwise :)

P.S. Welcome to the site.

• 2 weeks later...

So, are you saying vibration in this case is too small to be significant and can only be psychological or that vibration can't affect you at all? If it's the former I can see your point - if it's the latter, you need to research the subject deeper (Vibration White Finger, Cymatics, why travel puts you into a soporific state, for example)

So, are you saying vibration in this case is too small to be significant and can only be psychological or that vibration can't affect you at all? If it's the former I can see your point - if it's the latter, you need to research the subject deeper (Vibration White Finger, Cymatics, why travel puts you into a soporific state, for example)

if electrolisis can remove bikini hair, anything's possible