Science Forums

Triangle mystery

I received this puzzle a few day ago and I have no clue about the answer. After shifting the inner blocks of the triangle to form a new and identical triangle one block is missing. I still get a triangle but with one block less. How can this be?

EDIT: File replaced by Tormod to reduce filesize. Original was 500K!!!

I have not seen this before, but one problem that comes up when looking at this diagram, is that if you find the total area of the large triange:

1/2(bh)= 1/2(13X5)=32.5 square units.

When the tiangle is broken up into sub units the sum of the areas = 32 square units on both triangle neglecting the "hole".

If one were to put the two tiangles together to form a rectangle, you would have an area:

Area=bh = 13X5=65 square units.

The sum of the sub-units in the triangles would equal 64 square units and your missing square would total up to 65 square units.

:hyper:

It looks like some subtle fudging in the drawing of the two specimens. The hypotenuse of the bottom specimen is bowed ever-so-slightly outward, while the opposite is true of the top one. You can detect this by where the upper left corner of the #4 piece touches the hypotenuse in the bottom drawing, and compare that to the same locale in the top drawing.

The slopes of the two smaller triangles aren't the same - one is 3/8, one is 2/5 - there is no way that they could form a triangle.
Precisely what I found as well! Hence my answer in post #3 above was the correct one: the hypotenuse bulges somewhat in the lower drawing, and is a tad concave on the top specimen. :hyper:

Afterthought: that puzzle is one of the kewlest tantalizers ever!!!

Looks to me as if the angled side of the triangle is slightly bowed in, thus the slopes are slightly different. That's why the two triangles, when switched, form a different slope. I bet that's where the extra space comes from, the difference in the non-linear edge