Science Forums

Underwater Volcanism

Turtle

I think before this gets out of hand we ought to make a simple notepad file to record coordinates. Oui/no? Names too of course if they have them. :confused:

Indeed, but could I recommend an excel spreadsheet instead. It's tidier and easy to search, organize, etc.

Our friend over there...

You mean Hill?

Where the heck has he been (besides GE community of course)?

Indeed, but could I recommend an excel spreadsheet instead. It's tidier and easy to search, organize, etc.

Well, I don't have that. :hihi:

You mean Hill?

Where the heck has he been (besides GE community of course)?

I can't mention names, but his inititial starts with Hill yes. :lol: I expect he'll be along as soon as time allows. ;) ..........:confused:

Ok, here it is.

I suppose the list is still in the process of being compiled. If you've updated it since you posted the text file, resend it and I'll update the excel file.

Btw, you can download the free program open office and it comes with an excel equivalent spreadsheet program. It will open excel documents, though I've had problems saving from that program and then opening the excel file in excel. It was always jumbled, but perhaps they've fixed that since then (about 2 years ago). It's worth a shot. :confused:

Why did you convert all the lat/longs to decimals rather than leave it at minutes? Unless of course, you are getting those from somewhere (other than wiki) that has it already in decimal form...

WOW!

You single-handedly brought all of Turtle and I's efforts into the ground and up into the sky. Thank you!

I found this excel spreadsheet from that link you offered, Cedars, and filtered it to only include sub-glacial and sub-marine volcanos. We've got a list of 143 with lat/long already listed! :(

Thanks again Cedars! :doh:

The excel file is provided courtesy of the Smithsonian Institution, Global Volcanism Program.

WOW!

You single-handedly brought all of Turtle and I's efforts into the ground and up into the sky. Thank you!

I found this excel spreadsheet from that link you offered, Cedars, and filtered it to only include sub-glacial and sub-marine volcanos. We've got a list of 143 with lat/long already listed!

Thanks again Cedars!:)

Ditto on the thanks Cedars, and ditto ditto to you Freezter! I can open that file you made, by using the Quattro on this machine. :(

So we have 143, and I found some of those long-lost links. More-or-less, only 3 million or so more underwater volcanoes to list. ;) The first link is also the item I mentioned on underwater volcanoes not at plate boundries or hotspots. Petit-spot volcanoes now need a looking up. :cup: :doh:

Thousand of new volcanoes revealed beneath the waves - earth - 09 July 2007 - New Scientist Environment

The true extent to which the ocean bed is dotted with volcanoes has been revealed by researchers who have counted 201,055 underwater cones. This is over 10 times more than have been found before.

The team estimates that in total there could be about 3 million submarine volcanoes, 39,000 of which rise more than 1000 metres over the sea bed.

In 2006, a team of researchers from Japan discovered a new type of volcano which also defied conventional theories of volcanism. The "petit-spot" volcanoes, aged between one to eight million years old, did not sit at tectonic plate boundaries or over volcanic hotspots.

New type of volcano:

New type of volcano fires imaginations - earth - 27 July 2006 - New Scientist Environment

Naoto Hirano at the Tokyo Institute of Technology' date=' Japan, and colleagues have discovered miniature volcanoes – between 0.005 cubic kilometres and 1 km3 in size – near the underwater Japan Trench. These volcanoes, dubbed “petit spot” because of their size, cannot be accounted for by any of the conventional theories of volcanism. ...[/quote']

Interesting bit here on how magma may dampen earthquakes:

Fragmented Structure Of Seafloor Faults May Dampen Effects Of Earthquakes

...Examining data from 19 locations in the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian oceans, researchers led by graduate student Patricia Gregg have found that “transform” faults are not developing or behaving as theories of plate tectonics say they should. Rather than stretching as long, continuous fault lines across the seafloor, the faults are often segmented and show signs of recent or ongoing volcanism. Both phenomena appear to prevent earthquakes from spreading across the seafloor, thus reducing their magnitude and impact.

The findings by Gregg, Lin, and colleagues may also have implications for understanding the theory of plate tectonics, which says that new crust is only formed at mid-ocean ridges. By traditional definitions, no crust can be created or destroyed at a transform fault. The new study raises the possibility that new crust may be forming along these faults and fractures at fast-spreading ridges such as the East Pacific Rise.

“Our understanding of how transform faults behave must be reevaluated,” said Gregg. “There is a discrepancy that needs to be addressed.”

Now that's just silly...

Where's the spreadsheet for all those, cause I'm sure as heck not putting all that together! :hihi:

Whoa!

I've got some (more) reading to do!

:)

No worries mate; we're just pushing this snowball to the edge of the hill. ;)

I went Google Earth flying over the Pacific the other day, looking for underwater volcanoes listed and not, and I stumbled on a treasure to post in Racoon Sans 'Obscure Islands' thread.

Flying over the South Pacific on GoogleEarth Air and looking for underwater volcanoes, I zoomed in on a suspect obscure outcrop and found me a real turtle treasure island. :bounce: ......:turtle:.........:coin: :coin:

Welcome to Suwarrow. :shrug:

Suwarrow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So Suwarrow is a coral atoll, and I read up to refresh my memory on just what makes a coral atoll because coral doesn't grow in the deep. :eek2: As I thought, Suwarrow is really an underwater volcano first, and a coral atoll second. Basically an underwater 'mountain' is a seamount if it doesn't break the surface, an island if it does, and a coral atoll if it has coral on top that surrounds a lagoon. :read:

I love Serendipity...and she loves me. :love: :turtle:

I think the excel sheet needs column headers.

Done and done! :)

The original post has been updated with the new spreadsheet that has headers.

I wonder what the "status" header is referring to.

Some of the listings are "uranium-series", "magnetism", "historical", and "hydrophonic".

:shrug:

Notice!

I didn't find this when I found the excel file, but I found it while digging around today. It seems we should notify them with any data we add to the list. I'm posting the usage guidelines below.

Using these Data

We have several requests for users of these data:

1) Please let us know of corrections or additions (with references or reprints if possible) that will help us improve the data file.

2) Please acknowledge "Smithsonian Institution, Global Volcanism Program" as the data source in any disseminated use of the data file.

3) We would appreciate a copy of whatever published work results from your use of the data.

This goes for both the excel summary list and the Google Earth placemarks.

Notice!

I didn't find this when I found the excel file, but I found it while digging around today. It seems we should notify them with any data we add to the list. I'm posting the usage guidelines below.

Using these Data

We have several requests for users of these data:

1) Please let us know of corrections or additions (with references or reprints if possible) that will help us improve the data file.

2) Please acknowledge "Smithsonian Institution, Global Volcanism Program" as the data source in any disseminated use of the data file.

3) We would appreciate a copy of whatever published work results from your use of the data.

This goes for both the excel summary list and the Google Earth placemarks.

Nothin' like profit to suck the fun right out of a well intended project. ;) No good deed goes unpunished. :) I acknowledge deleting my copy of the Smithsonian Institution, Global Volcanism Program file. The buck stops here. :camera: ........................:bounce:

Nothin' like profit to suck the fun right out of a well intended project. :shrug: No good deed goes unpunished. :Glasses: I acknowledge deleting my copy of the Smithsonian Institution, Global Volcanism Program file. The buck stops here. :crash: ........................:shrug:

I think your taking it the wrong way.

It's common courtesy among the scientific community to acknowledge data sources. We are free to distribute the file, but we must reference the source. So no problem with #2.

It urges us to verify sources with credibility when making new determinations (only if we choose to use their data ;) ). I think we can handle #1. ;)

#3 is a bit trickier. What exactly constitutes "published work"? No matter, they would only "appreciate it", so it's not any form of obligation.

So, could you lend a hand with this snowball, it's nearing the edge. :D

:)

Nothin' like profit to suck the fun right out of a well intended project. :shrug: No good deed goes unpunished. :Glasses: I acknowledge deleting my copy of the Smithsonian Institution, Global Volcanism Program file. The buck stops here. :crash: ........................:shrug:

Whoa, Turtle!

Thats a good thing. They dont want incorrect or incomplete data on their site.

Facts are not copyrighted. The list of volcanoes, is a list of facts.

Speaking as a former gov employee:

Another part of this is when people use the web information in the above context, and follow through and send a copy (I think a link would work for this situation), it allows them (smithsonian) to assemble information on how important continued funding is when they put in their budgets to the dept. heads, who hand it over to the people who meet with whoever gets the money out of congress. Its proof the information is serving x-number of taxpayers. And the small recognition for where you got the information lets the people viewing your information see the government provided some of this data.

I use sources on sites I read to find further information. Heres one link I found because a site had given its source:

publications

And it could be you guys will come up with something the Smithsonian wants to use in their own website to further their content.

It really is a win-win for everyone.

I think your taking it the wrong way. ...

Whoa, Turtle! ...

:) As a writer I find the tone of the guidelines threatening. It isn't just what is said, it's who is saying it. I won't be playing with their ball.

Meantime, tens of thousands of underwater volcanos merrily chug away; out of sight, out of mind. :hihi:: :hihi:

No one's list of underwater volcanism and hydrothermal venting is complete without the inclusion of the Gakkel Ridge complex. :shrug:

NSF - OLPA - PR 01-93: HEALY RESEARCHERS MAKE A SERIES OF STRIKING DISCOVERIES ABOUT ARCTIC OCEAN

Contrary to their expectations, scientists on a research cruise to the Arctic Ocean have found evidence that the Gakkel Ridge, the world's slowest spreading mid-ocean ridge, may be very volcanically active. They also believe that conditions in a field of undersea vents, known as "black smokers," could support previously unknown species of marine life.

The findings were among a range of discoveries made by researchers aboard the US Coast Guard Cutter Healy, an icebreaker equipped for science, and a companion German research vessel, the Polarstern, in late August, early in a nine-week cruise to the Gakkel Ridge, Earth's least volcanically active mid-ocean ridge.