Science Forums

What Americans, USAans, yanks, beleive.

Embarrassingly Stupid Americans -- One in Five Believes Sun Revolves Around Earth

stupidThe title of this article, that an embarrassingly high number of Americans believe that the sun revolves around the Earth, is only one point argued by the Washington Post’s Susan Jacoby, in her attempt to prove that Americans are in serious intellectual trouble, facing a virulent mixture of anti-intellectualism, anti-rationalism and low expectations.

What else is signaling that Americans are becoming increasingly dumbed-down as a society?

* Reading -- of books, newspapers and magazines -- is on the decline. A 2007 study even found that 80 percent of American families did not buy or read a book in 2006.

Embarrassingly Stupid Americans -- One in Five Believes Sun Revolves Around Earth - Articles

What else is signaling that Americans are becoming increasingly dumbed-down as a society?

* Reading -- of books, newspapers and magazines -- is on the decline. A 2007 study even found that 80 percent of American families did not buy or read a book in 2006.

While I don't disagree that our nation's overall intelligence has been on the decline, I do challenge the conclusion made by the above. I'm confident that fewer people read per capita than previous, but the metric above does not bear that out. While reading and buying of books, newspapers, and magazines may be on the decline, I'd be curiuos to see if they were able to control for the effect of the internet.

Just because sales are down does not mean that fewer people are reading. It could mean that more people are reading online.

Like me. :doh:

• 1 month later...

1994 All Over Again? Public Opinion and Health Care

About 70% of Americans consistently believed that the system was in a state of crisis or had major problems (see line graph), and the proportion dissatisfied with it had increased to 81% by November 2007.

Despite this negative consensus, however, there is no convergence on proposals for reform.

Instead, public opinion is characterised by ambivalence or divergence regarding future directions, which may foil efforts to forge agreement on the best way to improve the system.

Philosophically, many Americans are suspicious of direct, massive government intervention.

This attitude was apparent in a series of polls, conducted for the Kaiser Family Foundation, in which many respondents said they oppose a "national health plan, financed by taxpayers, in which all Americans would get their insurance from a single government plan."

Of the seven polls conducted between 1998 and 2004, six found that 47 to 58% of Americans opposed a single government plan; the most recent poll, conducted in August 2007, indicated that opposition has decreased but that Americans remain divided (41% opposed, 47% in favor).

Survey questions posing alternative options may be more revealing.

When given a choice between "replacing the current health care system with a new government-run health care system" and "maintaining the current system based mostly on private health insurance," 51 to 63% of respondents in five Gallup polls conducted since 2001 said they preferred to maintain the current system, though the proportion had declined to about 48% in November 2007.

Even supporters of reform may be uneasy with government intervention, which makes their endorsements unreliable.

Although a 2006 poll conducted by ABC News, the Kaiser Family Foundation, and USA Today found that 56% of Americans favored government health insurance over the current system, support eroded when these respondents were told that such a program could mean reduced access to some medical treatments (64% of initial supporters became opponents), limits on the choice of doctors (49% became opponents), increased waiting times (40% opposed), and greater cost sharing (36% opposed). Whether these downsides would actually materialise and, even if they did, how much the resulting system would differ from current managed-care practices are matters of debate. The point is that public perceptions appear fragile and susceptible to change.

More detail here:

NEJM -- 1994 All Over Again? Public Opinion and Health Care

• 2 months later...

Senate Approves Immunity for Telecom Companies in Wiretapping

By a vote of 69-28, the Senate approved a bill overhauling

the rules covering secret government eavesdropping and

granting immunity to telecommunications companies that aided

in the wiretapping of Americans without warrants.

Read More:

The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia

Senate Approves Immunity for Telecom Companies in Wiretapping

By a vote of 69-28, the Senate approved a bill overhauling

the rules covering secret government eavesdropping and

granting immunity to telecommunications companies that aided

in the wiretapping of Americans without warrants.

Read More:

The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia

Sometimes I feel we will damn lucky if Bush doesn't try to declare martial law and take over the country before he leaves in January of 2009. Even worse is the fear the conservatives and the religious right would go along with it!

I don't think he needs martial Law

Listen to this and be afraid.

Sunday 13 July 2008

Listen Now - 13072008 |

Bubble Wrap

Everything is relative this evening in The Night Air as we pop the bubble wrap protecting that precious artwork formerly known as 'The Truth'. Enter the slippery realm of reality massage, spin doctoring and info-maiment. You'll hear our favourite erroneous hero Sergeant Schultz, the operatic poetry of Donald H. Rumsfeld and a boy from Queensland who went on to head one of the biggest PR firms in the world They're all trying to measure that pesky gap between Truth and Reality.

Night Air

• 2 weeks later...

An email doing the rounds.

The Plan!

?

Robin Williams, wearing a shirt that says 'I love New York ' in Arabic.

You gotta love Robin Williams... ..Even if he's nuts! Leave it to Robin Williams to come up with the perfect plan. What we need now is for our UN Ambassador to stand up and repeat this message.

Robin Williams' plan...(Hard to argue with this logic!)

'I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here's one plan.'

1) 'The US will apologize to the world for our 'interference' in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those 'good 'ole' boys'. We will never 'interfere' again.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany , South Korea , the Middle East , and the Philippines They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days, the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are. They're illegal!!! France will welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

5) No foreign 'students' over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a 'D' and it's back home baby.

6) The US will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not 'interfere.' They can pray to Allah, or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to their army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us 'Ugly Americans' any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH..learn it...or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?

'The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?' '

If you agree with the above forward it to friends...If not, and I would be amazed, DELETE it!!

Yeah, I've seen it, I'm not completely sure Robin Williams actually said this but it is true that is the US with drew completly from the world the world would miss us. If noting else they would miss being able to complain about us. But in the real world every country has it's problems and it's critics. Here is another of these e-mails of wisdom.

>

> THE

> FOLLOWING IMMIGRATION LAWS SHOULD BE PROPOSED...

>

> 1

> There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools.

> * * * * * * *

> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

> 2. All ballots will be in this nation's

> language.

> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

> 3.. All

> government business will be conducted in our language.

> * * * * * * * * * *

> * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

> 4. Non-residents will NOT have the right to

> vote no matter how long they are here.

> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

> * * * * * *

> 5. Non-citizens will NEVER be able to hold political office.

>

> 6. Foreigners will not

> be a burden to the taxpayers. No welfare, no food stamps, no health

> care, or

> other government assistance programs. Any burden will be deported.

> * * * *

> * * * * * * * * * * * * ; * * * * * * * *

> 7. Foreigners can invest in this

> country, but it must be an amount at least equal to 40,000 times the

> daily

> minimum wage.

> 8. If

> foreigners come here and buy land... options will be restricted.

> Certain

> parcels including waterfront property are reserved for citizens

> naturally born

> into this country.

> 9.

> Foreigners may have no protests; no demonstrations, no waving of a

> foreign

> flag, no political organizing, no bad-mouthing our president or his

> policies.

> Th ese will lead to deportation.

> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

> * *

> 10. If you do come to this country illegally, you will be actively

> hunted &, when caught, sent to jail until your deportation can be

> arranged. All assets will be taken from you..

> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

> * * * * * * * * *

>

> Harsh,

> you say?.......

>

> The

> above laws are current immigration laws of

> MEXICO!

>

If you don't want to end up in a camp in Oz

1. come by plane, not a leaky fishing boat

2. bring lots of money.

3. Don't have a long beard or Arab dress.

#1 and #3 will be ok but I'll have to work on #2:doh: Actually if I had #2 the neocons would probably tolerate me:shrug:

The Plan!

?

Robin Williams, wearing a shirt that says 'I love New York ' in Arabic.

You gotta love Robin Williams... ..Even if he's nuts! Leave it to Robin Williams to come up with the perfect plan. What we need now is for our UN Ambassador to stand up and repeat this message.

Robin Williams' plan...(Hard to argue with this logic!)

'I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here's one plan.'

1) 'The US will apologize to the world for our 'interference' in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those 'good 'ole' boys'. We will never 'interfere' again.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany , South Korea , the Middle East , and the Philippines They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days, the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are. They're illegal!!! France will welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

5) No foreign 'students' over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a 'D' and it's back home baby.

6) The US will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not 'interfere.' They can pray to Allah, or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to their army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us 'Ugly Americans' any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH..learn it...or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?

'The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?' '

If you agree with the above forward it to friends...If not, and I would be amazed, DELETE it!!

Sounds good ith the exception of #10 (I'm pretty 'nuff as it is:hihi:) Show me a candidate using this as their campain promise and I'll vote for them (I'd finally have an excuse to vote:hihi: Yet another election full of candidates that ain't worth a $#1+!!:cup: I'm registered but won't be voting...not with these choices...we're screwed either way.)

Hi,

Across the pond from America we have so many evils to vote for so I tend to pick on the 'lesser evil' hoping the real baddies will be kept out . Would you Americans care to give Gordon Brown a job- now - burmt out Prime Minister of tired Britain !

Nigel & goin nuts with our government

Voting is compulsory in Australia at all levels.

We now have a wide range of political opinion represented especially in the senate.

I wish voting was compulsory in the USA too.

It seems such a pity to decide not to have some say in how your country is run and leave it to the fanatical 30%. I can't understand why yanks are still sticking with the Republican Party after the mess they have made and the money they have flushed down the toilet. Obarma should be miles ahead- but he isn't.

Here for example the NSW Liberal Party has been captured (enthralled) by the wealthy USA style Born-again Christian Right; just when everyone is getting sick of the present State Government. But there is no way you can vote Liberal with that happening. If you get really upset you can always join a political party and try to change it.

Here, you always have a choice of the greens, the marijuana party,the shooters party (funded by USA NRA), etc

I wish voting was compulsory in the USA too.

So what happens if you don't vote?

EDIT: I found this

Initially the Australian Electoral Commission will write to all apparent non-voters requesting that they either provide a reason for their failure to vote or pay a $20 penalty.

If, within 21 days, the apparent non-voter fails to reply, cannot provide a valid and sufficient reason or declines to pay the penalty, then prosecution proceedings may be instigated. If the matter is dealt with in court and the person is found guilty, he or she may be fined up to $50 plus court costs.

Interesting...

This just would not stand in America. We like freedom you know. :turtle:

Seriously though, the only event I can think of in American history that has been compulsory has been the war drafts (and that only affected a portion of the population). That didn't go over too well. :naughty: