Science Forums

Search Engine rumbling

Queso

Does google search the entire internet?

Is there a way to block google or other search engines?

Just curious.

Hello Orbsycli,

Google have bots that scan the www and make copies of open pages so it searches it's own database made from the internet, not the actual internet itself.

These sites give more info on how to block bots.

Robots

"No Robots"

p.s. How Ironic Orby, I just noticed that the advert served by Google on this page is 'Make sure your website displays on Major search engines when customers search highly relative products and services'.

Yes you can block google from searching your website, BUT WHY, unless its an illegal activity, websites are generally built to draw people in?

Hi Alexander,

If you are selling information (say via a FTP site) to your commercial customers you don't really want to have all the bots sneaking around your site.

I'm not trying to,

I was actually thinking about the philosophical aspects which you mentioned.

I'm trying to invision what the internet actually is.

Kind of like thinking about the universe....

It is everything that makes us human

The good the bad and the dispicable

It's the bond that draws people together while at the same time keeping them apart

It is the representation of everything that is or could be known

But ultimately it's the world's largest landfill

Garbage in garbage out! (with a few notable exceptions :turtle:)

Hi, Laurie (it's great that you stuck around :) )

If you are selling information (say via a FTP site) to your commercial customers you don't really want to have all the bots sneaking around your site.

Well, off the top of my head, why would one use an FTP server to share commercial data is beyond me, second of all, google does not search what it can not access, aka the protected area of websites, and places like ftp, it may cache openly available files, but rarely does it go behind the closed gates...

FTP is such an unsecure protocol anyways, it really needs to be encrypted.... that is why SFTP and FTPS were developed, and also that is why SSH supports file transfers and stuff like that.

I can research how one would go about making a website immune from searches... if you want/need .

Well, off the top of my head, why would one use an FTP server to share commercial data is beyond me, second of all, google does not search what it can not access, aka the protected area of websites, and places like ftp, it may cache openly available files, but rarely does it go behind the closed gates.

Hi Alexander,

The answer was cheapness because at the time (2002) the MS security problems were just starting to reach a peak and the ISP could worry about all of that junk, not me.

This option became unviable when nobody could access the FTP site (based in Melbourne Victoria) unless I unblocked a port from our firewall (based in Queensland) that allowed access through this port to another computer (based in Canberra ACT).

I can research how one would go about making a website immune from searches... if you want/need .

They're in the Robots and Norobots links in my first post.

The answer was cheapness because at the time (2002) the MS security problems were just starting to reach a peak and the ISP could worry about all of that junk, not me.

Laurie with all due respect, security is not a problem of your ISP, it is as much your problem as it is your ISP's. FTP is a very insecure protocol, i mean at which point is passing your login credentials in clear text sound like a great idea? So you go through a long ways to keep search engines away from your files pages, and yet here you are passing your login credentials over the air or over the wire in clear text, where it is available to anyone connected to the same network as you are.... mind you your computer does not even have to be compromised, hell your router can capture the packet and log the credentials where someone can pick them up later... It may not even be your router, it can be your customer's router, or other systems on your customer's network... and if your website is down, who is being blamed, you or your ISP...?

Laurie with all due respect, security is not a problem of your ISP, it is as much your problem as it is your ISP's. FTP is a very insecure protocol, i mean at which point is passing your login credentials in clear text sound like a great idea?

Hi Alexander,

When ISP's host your websites, FTP and email etc there's not that much you have to do about security apart from blocking malicious ports and keeping OS's and AV up to date.

The FTP site was for client access to encrypted PDF training Units for a large Educational institution.

I shut down the site when I discovered that blocking one firewall port (to the Australian Capital Territory) prevented access to the FTP site from within our internal network.

Wow.... finally someone was smart enough to block ftp :D

aaaaw those australian capital territory people, becoming a mini verison or something, soon enough you'll be running a 30 meg line, but wont be able to put web/file sharing/torrent/db or email servers up on it.

(just an fyi, you know you can run ftp on ports other then 21...)

oh so this was hosted on a windows server.... i see, well then ftp insecurity was the least of your troubles :(

You are a great sport, laurie, you should participate more oftenly :)

oh so this was hosted on a windows server.... i see, well then ftp insecurity was the least of your troubles :D

Hi Alexander,

The only reason I chose the ISP was because they used the software (Serv-U) I had selected if we were going to do things in-house. The buffer overruns with MS products at the time were causing so many problems that it was decided to outsource the worries (not to mention the later MYDOOM attacks, I had the European IPV4 server trying to connect on the MYDOOM port twice in less than an hour so our network was put to bed for the day, wierd).

BTW, I set up a secure SMB (SAMBA on Red Hat) server to minimise our internal problems.

• 2 weeks later...
There are some viruses and malware exclusively for ...

:shrug: :doh:

I :love: :)

One, viruses are for wimps, real men use protection

Two, that's what you get for using windows anyways

Three, those viruses don't only target Google, and they are obvious to spot

Four, even if i used windows, it would still not deter me from using Google, it's not Google that infects your computer, and to be stuck with a limited, crappy alternative.... i think not! :P

Five, viruses are a TYPE of malware!

And lastly Google rocks :(