Science Forums

Spin

Queso

This was brought up in another forum:

Right Brain v Left Brain | Herald Sun

The guy who brought it up said to look at it, determine if its spinning clock wise or counter clock wise

then close your eyes and create a spin in your mind that spins in the other direction (like visually imagine a whirlpool going clockwise, or counter clockwise. feel it)

then open your eyes and if you did it right the spinner will be spinning in the opposite direction.

I just did made it flip back and forth a couple times by doing this.

A lot of people have been trying to figure out how this works.

Someone even videotaped it with a camera to see if it flips on its own and apparently it doesn't.

can anyone else make it flip,

or can anyone figure out how this psychology works? :ud:

People, people... First of all, let's realize that the black figure against the gray background is not rotating either clockwise or counterclockwise, because there is no radial point in the image (a point around which somethings rotates)... It's a two-dimensional image, not three! You perceive it as three-dimensional only because it is an illusion -- an ambiguous illusion that can be "read" in alternative ways. If you stare at the image long enough to disable your three-dimensional illusion perception, you will see that parts of the black image, like the "leg" at an angle, are swinging back and forth like a pendulum, while other parts are swelling and shrinking amorphously (changing shape).

??

:ud:

I don't see it that way. do you?

I find no issue with it at all. What I don't get is how they attribute a perception of counterclockwise rotation to the left side, :phones:. The more one applies logic, fact and examines detail, the more obvious the interpretation of clockwise rotation.

Now, it's true that it's strictly a 2D figure and so there's no rotation either way, but it's clearly the projection of a 3D figure which is asymmetrical and very familiar. Now it's easy to see from the head and shoulders that the more extended arm is her right one, that when it's going rightward it is to the far side, so a perception of rotation in the other way is incompatible with the highly familiar figure that the shape represents. :fluffy:

This is another strange perceptual thing

How smart is Your Right Foot ? ?

Just try this. It is from an orthopaedic surgeon............

This will boggle your mind and you will keep trying over and over again to

see if you can outsmart your foot, but, you can't. It's preprogrammed in

your brain!

1. While sitting where you are at your desk in front of your

computer, lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles.

2. Now, while doing this, draw the number '6' in the air with

your right hand. Your foot will change direction.

I told you so!!! And there's nothing you can do about it!

You and I both know how stupid it is, but before the day is done you are

going to try it again, if you've not already done so.