Science Forums

Hey I wanna upgrade my comp but need help.

My comp now.

256 mg ram 2x 128

18 gb hd

plll 800mhz

GeForce FX 5500 256mb vid card

I want a processor that will run over 1000mhz im sure ill need a new board for this I want to make the upgrades for less than 200$ canadian I don't know what is needed to insiall a new processor onto a mother board (tools etc) biut ive worked with most other components of my comp before. I dont know what processor and board i should get i want stuff that wil eventually let me run HL2 and Halo 2 can you guys offer suggestions on boards and processors? I plan on buying the stuff from new egg or a local suplyier. ty in advance

ok, here's a nice combo, it will be a little over cost, but its probably worth the money:

mobo-proc combo: http://www.pricewatch.com/h/prc.aspx?i=306&a=4384

P4 1.9 gig 256m of 400mhz fsb comes with heatsink and cooling fan

HD: http://www.pricewatch.com/h/prc.aspx?i=26&a=5084

80 gig SATA HD, very fast

Memory, 256 should do just fine, you wont be able to run the game on the highest settings, but i hope you werent thinking that you would for a little over $200... other than that, i think you should be ok...

P.S. HL2 beats Halo 2 out of the water!

P.S. HL2 beats Halo 2 out of the water!

Well I knew THAT. LOL.

Halo is still fun tho.

I guess what I should have been asking is: What do all the specs for Processors and motherboards mean . Which are important?

Also can I buy a new P4 mother board and use my P3 processor? And vice versa?

If you want to know what cpu you can add to your existing board you need to know what socket it is in order to find out what cpu will go in it. Id imagine it's 370, but go here -> http://www.lavalys.com/ and download everest home edition to find out if you dont already know.

If your board is 370 you cant really do much by way of upgrading cpu (P4 wont fit). If it was me i would overclock the cpu to see how much i could get out of it and maybe all you would then need to do is buy a gpu and some more RAM.

And as far as a new board and your old cpu goes i would say no. P4's started on 478 i think and there is no P3 with the same pin count.

as geko said, the motherboard only takes certain CPUs, and it does not only depend on the socket used, it also depends on voltage and specs of the system. Your mother board, chances are wont take a faster cpu, maybe a 933, but its not worth the upgrade, HL2 wont play on a 933, and no you cant put a P4 in there, rather you can, but your motherboard will only use what it can, for example your motherboard can only sustain speeds up to 800 mhz, and you put a 933 chiset in it, your bios will still say 800 mhz, and opetrating speeds will be left untouched...

what all the stuff and specs mean? well here's a howstuff on microprocessors, i couldnt have explained it better myself... http://computer.howstuffworks.com/microprocessor1.htm

P.S. click next, there's a table and explanations for what clock speed, fsb and stuff means...

Halo was an ok game, Halo 2 has a bit better graphics, but i really dont like it and would prefer 1 over 2, i guess i've had better.

But wouldn't a PIII simply fry on a P4 motherboard?

I am not sure about the processor specs, it is possible though, if there is too much current going through, you are right and the resistors will overheat causing a major problem, also i think that there is protection on the motherboards from using wrong processors, not sure but it could be done, and the only way of getting around that would be bios settings, thats the way I'd do it if i was building a mobo anyways...

Yes, the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is in the video card, although some new motherboards have onboard graphics chips (for example the Intel Extreme chips).

For overclocking, there are lots of places online to find information.

Here is one example:

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/

I currently run an Athlon XP 2500+ overclocked to 3200+. This was pretty easy, because I looked for a particular version of the Athlon that is sold as 2500+ but is actually the same as the 3200+. This happens with a lot of equipment - it is only "guaranteed" to work up to a certain limit, but can be overclocked. A lot of early Athlons have locks which make it much harder to overclock. My motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X which is perfect for overclocking. Neither the chip nor the mobo is new.

(BTW, "mobo" is geek speek for "motherboard".) ;)

Motherboards based on the nForce chipset are generally good overclockers but I haven't followed the trends enough to give you any advice as to what to get for that.

there NO safe overclocking, there ae many procedures available online, but it is not a thing that just any person should attempt, not saying that you are incapable of doing it, just that you need to understand that there are limits to everything, faster you go, the hoter the processor is, better cooling you need to provide, so you need to be smart about how much overclockage you do. Also not every processor/board can be overclocked easily, at times it requires actual soldering, and sometimes boards just dont allow it...