Science Forums

Hey I wanna upgrade my comp but need help.

Ok so id need to upgrade both simlutainusily. What can you tell me about overclocking. Is there a general "Safe" methode? Also isint the gpu in the vid card? And can someone tell me what mobo is?

To get optimum setting all round, you would be best to CPU + Mobo + RAM, such that the

RAM has the same speed rating as the motherboard. This typically measure on the Frontside

bus of the CPU (200, 266, 333, 400, 800 MHz). There are RAMs for each type. You might

be hard pressed to all three under $200 Canadian.

One way to budget would be to go the route of an AMD Athlon which are often cheaper rated

at the same setting. What can be confusing is Athlons are often said to clock slower, yet

can outperform an Intel Pentium 4 for both integer and floating pt math. This is because the

pipelines are a bit shorter in an Athlon.

I put together a 1.8 GHz Athlon, MSI Mobo, 512 MB 3700 RAM (400 MHz) for about $280

(US). So your price in Canada could be a bit more. Gamers are often speaking about

Athlons because they support higher frame rates on games (Half Life, Doom3, etc.). ;)

Maddog