Science Forums

Offsetting My Computer's Carbon Footprint

Switchy

I used to leave my computer on all day even when I wasn't using it (to analyse signals for Seti). Anyway I noticed a €30 increase in my Electricity bill over 2 months. This made me think that I must have a fairly large carbon footprint due to my computer alone each year (€30 x 6 two monthly periods = €180 a year worth of electricity).

In reality is this a large amount? Should I buy CO2 offsets and if so who should I buy them from?

Switchy :hihi: (thinking green)

I used to leave my computer on all day even when I wasn't using it (to analyse signals for Seti). Anyway I noticed a €30 increase in my Electricity bill over 2 months. This made me think that I must have a fairly large carbon footprint due to my computer alone each year (€30 x 6 two monthly periods = €180 a year worth of electricity).

In reality is this a large amount? Should I buy CO2 offsets and if so who should I buy them from?

Switchy :phones: (thinking green)

I'm not real fond of buying carbon offsets. I would simply recommend turning your computer off when it is not in use:)

Alternately, or in addition even, if you have a choice where your electricity comes from, buy it from wind or solar generated sources.

I am not sure how it works where you are, where I am, I can tell my electric company I want X number of Kwh to come from wind power. It costs a little extra, but the added funds go towards producing more wind generators. So not only is your energy green, the extra money goes toward producing more green energy.

Switchy :phones: (thinking green)

Have you ever opened the computer up and blown out any dust accumulating in the fans? Fans working harder to cool things will increase the bill.

Do you turn your monitor off when you leave the computer running?

There is alot of energy waste with background running devices. I read somewhere that (depending on the product) some items use 50% of the energy when turned off, keeping clocks running and such.

When the kids moved the x-box from the living room (where I could oversee and demand they turn it off) to their bedroom, my powerbill jumped. I made them put it on a power strip with a turn off (like it was in the living room) and saw my power bill return to normal.

Maybe there are other things using power that you can adapt to reduce the bill.

I turned my water heater down 10 deg. and the thermostat up 07 deg.(from 72 to 79) this made a big deference,

and a friend of mine has a programmable thermostat that turns the ac off 1/2 hour after he goes to work then it turns on 45 min before he get home.

he says the house is cool when he gets home, (But it doesn't use power for 8 HR at the hottest time of the day)

and a friend of mine has a programmable thermostat that turns the ac off 1/2 hour after he goes to work then it turns on 45 min before he get home.

he says the house is cool when he gets home, (But it doesn't use power for 8 HR at the hottest time of the day)

Absolutely! I have one that you can program up to four settings, differently for each day of the week if needed. I spent some more money up front, but it's wonderful! I set it a bit warmer during the night, then cool 15 minutes before I wake up. It then goes up 6 degrees (into the 80s) while I'm at work, and is cool 15 minutes before I get home.

I got it when I installed my 3 ton, 2 stage (slower fan blow when it doesn't need to cool off as much, so uses less energy, faster when it needs to drop several degrees in a hurry or is really hot outside)...17 SEER...air conditioner.

I also installed new doors, recaulked around the windows (which are also on my list of things to replace *some day*), put in new insulation when I replaced the drywall, and will be saving to put solar on the roof (not sure I can pull this off, but I'll be savin' :) )

My computer is pretty much on all the time. I work a lot. And I'm on Hypography! Hopefully, I've got a battery and system that charges and burns efficiently. :eek:

Yes I just put it on my read list I'll start it tomorrow (on break)

InfiniteNow

Absolutely! I have one that you can program up to four settings' date=' differently for each day of the week if needed. I spent some more money up front, but it's wonderful! I set it a bit warmer during the night, then cool 15 minutes before I wake up. It then goes up 6 degrees (into the 80s) while I'm at work, and is cool 15 minutes before I get home.

I got it when I installed my 3 ton, 2 stage (slower fan blow when it doesn't need to cool off as much, so uses less energy, faster when it needs to drop several degrees in a hurry or is really hot outside)...17 SEER...air conditioner.

I also installed new doors, recaulked around the windows (which are also on my list of things to replace *some day*), put in new insulation when I replaced the drywall, and will be saving to put solar on the roof (not sure I can pull this off, but I'll be savin' )

My computer is pretty much on all the time. I work a lot. And I'm on Hypography! Hopefully, I've got a battery and system that charges and burns efficiently. [/Quote']

Sounds like your on the right track, :eek:

And I'm on Hypography all the time too.:)

This made me think that I must have a fairly large carbon footprint due to my computer alone each year (€30 x 6 two monthly periods = €180 a year worth of electricity).
I’ve similar concerns – I like keeping my power consumption as low as possible, using as many ordinary materials, gadgets, and techniques. I often leave my home machine “running hard” (with its CPU utilization at 100%) at various tasks. By using a laptop instead of a desktop, and setting the screen to power off after 10 minutes of no keyboarding, I’m able to keep its power consumption under 20 W.

Finding what household devices are responsible for consuming too much energy, so you know which ones to replace, and selecting the lowest power devices available when shopping for them, is made much easier with the aid of a small, easy-to-use meter like the P3 Kill-A-Watt. I got one about a year ago, and love it. I can monitor the energy and power of anything with an ordinary 120 V plug, in my house of in store showrooms.

Should I buy CO2 offsets and if so who should I buy them from?
As Zythryn mentions, your electric company likely allows you to select a more expensive energy provider who guarantees a high percentage of power generated by no/low emission sources such as solar and wind.

Another approach is “make your own offset”, by reducing the power consumed by other devices in your household to compensate for your computer(s). If you haven’t already, replacing high-power lights (eg: incandescents) with low-power ones (eg: florescents) is an easy and effective first step.

InfiniteNow

Here's another thread for your list Doug.

http://hypography.com/forums/earth-s...tml#post131073[/Quote]

very good read thanks. :shrug:;)

Here is another thought I've installed a water conserving toilet in my house six months ago the old used two not ( ten) gal. of water per flush the new one only seven gal. the best thing it looks and acts the same as the old one but I'm saving three gal a flush.

:phones:(<-- didn't think I ever use this one)

Toiletology 101: Water Conservation

Indoor Water Conservation

Sourcebook: Indoor Water Conservation

Here is another thought I've installed a water conserving toilet in my house six months ago the old used ten gal. of water per flush the new one only seven gal. the best thing it looks and acts the same as the old one but I'm saving three gal a flush.

Doug, is that 10 gallons a day?? Most 'old toilets' use about a third of that (3.6 gallons per flush) as I recall.

I went the same route when we built our new house. Each bathroom has a 'low-flow' toilet. It uses .8 or 1.6 gallons per flush.

I am amazed at how much water a grass lawn takes though. Next summer I want to replace much of the grass with a biological cover that uses much less water.

I am amazed at how much water a grass lawn takes though. Next summer I want to replace much of the grass with a biological cover that uses much less water.

Bless your soul Zyth!! :shrug: :phones:

I'm not a fan of kempt yards. Plant a clover/violet mix and you will never have to water it and you get the added bonus of pretty flowers. ;)

I wonder how much energy and water we would save if everyone made this switch?

Well I just went and looked up the old John as it turns out I was wrong.;)

it's not 10 gal, it says it was 2 gal .:phones:

(Looks the same size as my 10 gal fish tank):shrug:

Ho well no excuses, Please Forgive me :hyper:

(you know I would have bet money on that):wave2::Money::hyper:

you have these easy options to save water in your 'old' toilet.

#1 adjust the float so the valve shuts off sooner, making for less water in the tank. virtually all 'old' toilet valves allow this adjustment.

or

#2 place some bricks or other suitable sinking water displacing objects into the tank to whatever limit will still leave enough water to clear the bowl of solids.

:wink: :turtle:

PS the second method is preferred, because it minimizes the volume of water without reducing the hydraulic head the tank produces. it is the head in the tank that gives the whoosh; a wide shallow tank of equal volume would simply trickle into the toilet bowl.