Science Forums

Brewing Beer

Racoon

Has anyone here brewed their own beer?

I'd like to elicit any experience and knowledge from the Hypographers..

I humbly ask for any wisdom anyone may care to impart.

I listed Brewing Beer in chemistry becuz' it is chemistry. ;)

Sugars --> alcohol.

Formulas..

Beer has been a staple of man, and I intend to reproduce the experiment and results.

Any previous quaffing experience, links, preferrences would be highly appreciated.

I imagine creating a distributable beer/product.. The market may be flooded by established micro-brews, and Mega-Corporations already...

But theres always a room for something new, if its good! :)

You should seriously consider making a love ale that's green.

Not bad Orbi.. ;)

The colors would have to be safe.. but they're already in most food products..

"4-Leaf Clover Ale".. The love Potion! .. I see the marketing working that angle whether or not the beer tastes good, or wether it gets your mate drunk enough for a rendezvous :) :D

I need to start copyrighting the names.. the most important part.. Its like a title on a book. It needs to be clever.

No I've not tried it myself (yet) I know of three that do and they say it's pretty easy.

here are some brewers catalogs of recipes you let me know if you like them. (I'm still thinking about it my self.):eek_big:

The Beer Recipator - Recipes

Cats Meow 3.

This is a on book on how to brew, maybe this well help too.

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Introduction

If you want more let me know what you're looking for. :eek_big:

I've brewed several batches of beer in a former apartment. The first batch was a porter mix and I added shredded ginger with the yeast. I then strained and bottled. I put a bit too much for most people's taste, but it worked. :cheer:

Get creative and experiment. Kits are a good starting pad, but then you can personalize. :)

Many Thanks for the links and tips so far everybody.. :hihi:

My good intentions are to purchase some equipment and yeast this summer.

I'd like to grow my own hops, but its too late for that now..

This will be trial and error first few times , then I will think about growing hops next year after a little more research..

However, I would like to share the formula of the lovely Chacmool's African Sorgum Beer from another thread! :D :)

Sounds like a good experiment in overnight beer.

Umqombothi (Oom-comb-bo-tee) - African Sorghum Beer

* Using an open dish, mix the 3kg malt and 2.5kg mielie-meal (maize) or sorghum together with lukewarm water.

* Leave mixture in a cool place overnight, or until mixture tastes sour.

* Boil 25 litres of water in a pot and pour the mixture into it. Cook for about 40 minutes while stiring often.

* After cooking, pour the mixture into an open dish and allow to cool down.

* When the mixture has cooled, add 2kg of malt to the mixture and mix thoroughly.

* Add 40g of of yeast, mix again and leave overnight.

* The following morning strain and serve.

:scared:

Perhaps I might enlist the sorgum enthusiast that is Turtle in this experiment.. :hyper: :D

Bumab hasn't posted for quite a while but has logged in recently, you could also send him an email by the link in his user profile. Home brewing is his main hobby. :)

Good call Q! I'm still holding out hope for word on the helium gassed beer he was plotting. >> http://hypography.com/forums/chemistry/2137-bubbles.html

Alas Racoon San, i don't think my sorghum harvest will be large enough for Chacmools recipe; maybe we can cut down the recipe. I'm also growing some millet, and I hear you can make beer from it too. :umno: :lol: