Science Forums

Flood/no flood

ChurchGoer859

This thread is to discuss personal opinions and also any evidence that people may have about the flood as referred to in the Bible. Any opinions are welcome either for or against its occurance, if it ocurred then when, and if it supports evolution or creation. :hihi:

Frankly this post has nothing to do with evolution so I am moving it to the philosophy thread.

This thread is to discuss personal opinions and also any evidence that people may have about the flood as referred to in the Bible.

Ok, Welcome!

A post like this is bound to get some flames in this forum.

My personal opinion on the matter is that the flood is as much a fairy tale as the rest of the bible.

This is my favorite Bible story to debunk so don't get me started. In my opinion it is the worst example of God's behavior, yet we teach it to our kids as a moral lesson. The recent tsunami has left many religious people in a quandry. To some, God was punishing the wicked. Others are giving thanks for their survival. The most confusing is thie perpetual excuse that God works in mysterious ways.

Yeah there are so many obvious things...

1. Not enough water (oops)

2. The thought of a 600 year old guy building such a large boat out of wood, with the technological knowledge of the time, is nothing but ridiculous

3. This supposed boat has never been found

4. The sheer management of all the animals, including the feeding and the waste disposal

5. How did the animals get to the boat?

6. How did they get back?

7. Whatever happened to the ancient civilisations and cultures in China, Egypt, etc.? Were they rounded up as well and then returned to their homeland where they restarted their culture as if nothing happened (exactly as if nothing happened, or we would have writings about it)

8. If god would want to save the world from sin or whatever the reason was, then why not kill all animals and humans, instead of just almost all? And why pull such a stunt anyway? Surely if god is omnipotent he could fix the flaws of his creation in other ways?

The flood didnt have to be global, only covering a good portion of what they knew

There world was alot less map back then.

God wanted to kill everyone and everything except for Noah, some animals and, apparently, a lot of birds and fish. How could he accomplish that with a local flood? And why would it then be necessary to round up all animals from around the world if only a small portion of the world would be flooded? God could then tell Noah to take two of every animal and walk a few kilometres to the west or something.

God wanted to kill everyone and everything except for Noah, some animals and, apparently, a lot of birds and fish.
how do you know who 'everyone' was?

besides, what seems more feasable on a boat, two of every species from a continent or from a planet?

the 'local' flood could have span a few countries, you can only walk so far in a day, in sandles, while holding 77 leashes in each hand.

in the desert, none the less.

:hihi:

Welcome churchgoer859!

Well, I doo not believe in god, but I think that something like such a flood has existed, there was a time that the mediterrean sea wasn't there and then one day the atlantic ocean (if I remember right) started to fill up the mediterrean sea with huge waterfall.

Now if people was far away from that waterfall, they had to find a reason for this water, the easist one is to tell it was from god. With generations going in slowly got transformed in a legend (and as well transformed by story tellers) and then it was written in a book, as it was a good way to make people follow your instructions (as otherwise the "good" god punishes you).

how do you know who 'everyone' was?

besides, what seems more feasable on a boat, two of every species from a continent or from a planet?

the 'local' flood could have span a few countries, you can only walk so far in a day, in sandles, while holding 77 leashes in each hand.

in the desert, none the less.

:hihi:

I was talking about the flood in the Bible, I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

This thread is to discuss personal opinions and also any evidence that people may have about the flood as referred to in the Bible. Any opinions are welcome either for or against its occurance, if it ocurred then when, and if it supports evolution or creation. :hihi:

The occurance of a flood is no more an opinion than the occurance of an earthquake - it either happend or it didn't. There is either evidence for it, or no evidence for it. If people want to try and rewrite the bible to turn what in any other religion would be considered a myth so that by stretching both the story and the physical evidence to say that a local flood could be the biblical flood, then they still do not prove that a flood occured. Obviously, the story must have some basis in reality, but no more than any myth.

The flood story is not supported by any evidence other than what's claimed in Genesis. That entire book is intriguing in its almost complete ignorance of science and morality. The main issue I take with it is how much effort creationists expend to prove it was a natural occurance. If it was caused and directed by God, why would nature have any part to play, and vice versa? Can't be both.

The flood story is not supported by any evidence other than what's claimed in Genesis. That entire book is intriguing in its almost complete ignorance of science and morality. The main issue I take with it is how much effort creationists expend to prove it was a natural occurance. If it was caused and directed by God, why would nature have any part to play, and vice versa? Can't be both.

Theres a great deal of effort expended by both sides in this debate, kinda reminds one of political retoric, Democrat versus Republican.

There really isn't any evidence that there was a flood, but there isn't anything conclusive disproving that it happened either. I think it just comes down to your personal belief system. As far as I'm concerned, it is not completely unreasonable to believe in it, unlike something like creationism.

There really isn't any evidence that there was a flood, but there isn't anything conclusive disproving that it happened either.

The evidence against the flood is the lack of evidence in favour of it. Of course, 'the lack of evidence in favour of the flood' is not held up as actual evidence itself, rather the theory isnt given weight or time because there's nothing there to start or begin a line of questioning with, ie. there's no evidence or artifacts to even have a discussion about, let alone lend credence to the idea.

Also

As far as I'm concerned, it is not completely unreasonable to believe in it, unlike something like creationism

What's the difference between the flood and creationism? They're both lacking in about the same amount of factual basis/evidence, so im wondering why one is more reasonable than the other? How about ghosts and astrology? Is belief in either one of these more reasonable than the other, or are they about the same? What about water dowsing and black magic as well?

Remember the onus is always on the outside idea to 'prove' itself (in full or part) before other people will take it seriously and start to listen. This is nothing personal, it's just the way it is (and the way it should be as well imho)