Science Forums

Interesting contraption

I came accross this interesting gadget today. It's a personal compost machine, which is a good alternative to smelly heaps in one's backyard. It relatively inexpensive, and you just "feed" it whatever organic material that comes out of your kitchen (vegetable scraps, paper, chicken, etc).

In a couple weeks you have nice, fresh compost without any smell or excessive work involved.

Naturemill: Automatic Indoor Composter!

Anybody here make their own compost?

Would you consider buying it?

Both. I don't generate a lot of waste, and am in the office or on travel most of the time. However, the biowaste I do accumlate I collect and bring to the backyard where I have a small compost pile. Since it is so small, I will buy it as needed. For example, earlier this year I planted a bunch of vines, and they like compost a lot (so I'm told), so I bought some local Austin compost called "Dillo Dirt." The vines are very happy indeed!

Now, if I could just teach my dog that what he's doing is NOT considered compost, we'd be all set. :turtle:

I came accross this interesting gadget today. It's a personal compost machine, which is a good alternative to smelly heaps in one's backyard. It relatively inexpensive, and you just "feed" it whatever organic material that comes out of your kitchen (vegetable scraps, paper, chicken, etc).

In a couple weeks you have nice, fresh compost without any smell or excessive work involved.

Naturemill: Automatic Indoor Composter!

i compost outside. i use chicken wire circlets to hold 2 piles (2' diameter x 2' tall) and regularly turn & water them, & harvest compost from them every couple of weeks.

i wouldn't buy this because:

#1 it's too expensive at $400,

#2 anybody with space to garden outside has space for a compost pile. if you don't garden, you don't need compost.

#3 the advertisement says meat is OK and while the machine may reduce it, it is extremely bad practice to put meat in compost.:daydreaming:

#4 the unit uses electricity continuously (10watts) and so actually adds to the user's carbon footprint.

all around waste of resources imho :bounce: :winknudge:

I've even seen tiny compost arrangements, sized for indoor use, and of course you can always throw it in the municipal collection if you don't have a garden. I should get one, currently I put my orgs in a plastic basket and then in a closed bag out the window, but it makes an annoying lot of mould.