Science Forums

Length of day

Okay, maybe not "earth science" but it's related to Earth more than it is astronomy so I am posting this here.

I have been using this cool site lately to keep an eye on the amount of sunlight we get in Oslo now.

Current local time in Oslo - Norway

It's really cool. It's June 6 and we already have 18.5 hours of sunlight. It never gets dark now. And it's getting better - on the 21st (summer solstice) we get another 20 minutes when the sun comes up at 03:54 and sets at 22:44.

Of course, we pay for it at the other end of the year with the exact opposite amounts of darkness... :confused:

Anyone here living further north than I am? Or what's the current amount of sunshine you get where you live?

Guest chendoh
Okay, maybe not "earth science" but it's related to Earth more than it is astronomy so I am posting this here.

I have been using this cool site lately to keep an eye on the amount of sunlight we get in Oslo now.

Current local time in Oslo - Norway

It's really cool. It's June 6 and we already have 18.5 hours of sunlight. It never gets dark now. And it's getting better - on the 21st (summer solstice) we get another 20 minutes when the sun comes up at 03:54 and sets at 22:44.

Of course, we pay for it at the other end of the year with the exact opposite amounts of darkness... :rotfl:

Anyone here living further north than I am? Or what's the current amount of sunshine you get where you live?
Very cool!

I used http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=97

For Hbg.Pa....4miles SSE....Capital City Airport....7miles SSE

Of my location.

Looks like 14hrs55" daylight.

Hbg. Pa. Cord.

Latitude: 40° 16'North

Longitude: 76° 53'West

Mine:

+40.17240115

Have you ever heard of?

Welcome to Heavens-Above!

Guest chendoh

:rotfl:

Yeah! I use heavens above when I need to figure out where the space station and satellites are! :kettle:
:rockon:Right On, Right on...;) :phones:

There's an other called Orbitron, you install......It'll show you all satellites.....There's and ours.....use as desktop, it should be available on the web.

in a way you are lucky, you have seasons. it is summer 12 months out f the year here :cup:

True. The seasons are great and quite varied, and each has it's charms. But my favorite part is late spring/early summer (May and June) when the days just grow longer and longer... :evil:

I've always wanted to visit a part of the world that receives an overwhelming amount of darkness or daylight. There isn't much deviation where I live. Even when I went to Alaska, the amount of daylight/night was about even. I must have just gone at the wrong time of the year to experience such drastic changes in light.

Guest chendoh
I've always wanted to visit a part of the world that receives an overwhelming amount of darkness or daylight. There isn't much deviation where I live. Even when I went to Alaska, the amount of daylight/night was about even. I must have just gone at the wrong time of the year to experience such drastic changes in light.
usually,

anyXYZ, above 60 degrees should do the trick.

No matter the season..........

usually,

anyXYZ, above 60 degrees should do the trick.

No matter the season..........

Well - any place on the globe except at the equator will have periods of similar-length days and nights. There will always be a mid-winter (shortest day), a mid-summer (longest day), and mid-fall and mid-spring which will have equal day lengths.

The spring/autumn equinox usually happen on March 21 and September 22 (spring or autumn date depending on which half of the globe).

Not quite as far north - Aberdeen - The difference between the two is quite minor, as I recall. I used to regularily visit Stavanger and Bergen (which I think is at an almost identical latitude to Oslo) and noticed no particular difference with Aberdeen.

Not quite as far north - Aberdeen - The difference between the two is quite minor, as I recall. I used to regularily visit Stavanger and Bergen (which I think is at an almost identical latitude to Oslo) and noticed no particular difference with Aberdeen.

Right you are - we're close, but you're still a bit south of me. Probably not a lot of difference in length of day, though!

http://www.europeetravel.com/images/maps/europe-political-large.gif