Science Forums

Mold Experiment

Theory5

hi i started a thread in chemistry about mold on play-doh and I started my experiment.

I just started so i don't have any results yet.

1 wine (or sherry idk which) bottle, clear so i can see in okay.

1 heel of bread crumbled up

1 small cut up strawberry from the bottom of the container.

some water

then i took some toilet paper and rolled that up TIGHT, but it didnt fit it was too small

so then i took a tissue and rolled that up as well and it fit. Its to stop the mold from coming out of the bottle so i wedged it in the neck good and tight

Some small piece of plumbers putty put over to top and pressed in so its flat.

Some electrical tape put TIGHTLY over.

I got some instructions from this site

Science Explorer: Mold Terrarium--watch blue,green,and white plants grow on food

more for younger kids but good if you just want to make mold

i will let u know what my results were, tell me yours!

what are you trying to get out of it? yes some kind of fungus will grow, the spores are EVERYWHERE!

This is actually an important point from the point of view of experiment design/goals: Your experiment is not going to say much about what fungi grows best in playdoh, because your sample is almost completely skewed by what spores just happen to be in your area.

The experiment is most likely to show whether or not playdoh is a good medium for growth, although you ought to have some alternative media and some control. Its an interesting issue because as you see from the previous discussion in your original thread, the playdoh folks put lots of stuff to kill these beasties in the formula, and a key question is whether these fungicides become ineffective over time: something a lot of us care about, as my kid for example has a whole shelf full of 5+ year old playdoh....

Germs and fungi and bacteria, oh my,

Buffy

well its not what grows on play doh but what grows on playdoh, bread and strawberries as they are all in 1 bottle...i am telling you now, if it is regular air mold will grow on bread and strawberries, and i dont know about playdoh but i assume it would.

mold will grow on any non organic thing if it has food on the surface, say bread crumbs and strawberries B)

i fun experiment is getting some agar plates and wiping various things like a doorknob or something and smearing on the agar....now that is some freaky stuff!