Science Forums

Why is there white stuff on the play-doh?

Theory5

Lol i was digging through my drawer and i came across this little container of play-doh, and i looked inside and there was this white stuff growing on it, could someone tell me what is in play-doh and what might make it grow this white stuff?not very much is growing, and some of this white stuff looks like its standing straight up, sorta like magnet filings when you pass a magnet close enough to the filings so they stand up. Another part just looks like a layer, on top of the play-doh. It interested me so thats why Im posting this.

Guest chendoh

According to the current Play-Doh patent (U.S. Patent 6,713,624), the compound is essentially a starch-based binder mixed with water, salt, lubricant and preservative. To be more specific, it contains:

·Water

·Starch-based binder

·Retrogradation inhibitor

·Salt

·Lubricant

·Surfactant

·Preservative

·Hardener

·Humectant

·Fragrance

·Color

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/play-doh.htm

Play-Doh is a commercial modeling compound similar in texture to bread dough that has been sold as a children's toy around the world for over half century. Its exact makeup is a trade secret, but it is primarily a mixture of wheat flour, water, deodorized kerosene or another petroleum distillate (which provides the smooth texture), salt, a drying agent such as borax (which deters mold), an alum-based hardening agent, and colorings and perfume

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play-Doh

When I first read your post I remembered from years ago, that it was made from flour, hence, the white 'stuff' :cat: is a type of mold.

Over time, the other agents; Retrogradation inhibitor, borax, degrade to a point that allows the play-doh, when kept cool, dark, and undisturbed, A chance to grow mold. :hihi: :doh:

Cool. Thanks. I wonder if I can get it to grow mold faster. Know anything that might allow me to make a.... i want to say culture, or ecosystem......... a thing that allows me to see different kinds of mold and study them. say a common household product that might help it grow? you didnt have to go into so much detail.... lol but thanks again.

Cool. Thanks. I wonder if I can get it to grow mold faster. Know anything that might allow me to make a.... i want to say culture, or ecosystem......... a thing that allows me to see different kinds of mold and study them. say a common household product that might help it grow? you didnt have to go into so much detail.... lol but thanks again.

Before you decide to grow a mold garden, I would like to mention that mold can be hazardous to your health...:cat:

yea I know. I was thinking about sealing it into some sort of plastic box, like a tuppaware container, most mold needs air right? If a field mouse can survive in an airtight container with 1 piece of weat to convert Co2 into oxogen then wont mold need less? therefore i could put a small plant into a container along with the mold, seal it and both will be happy?

Thank you chendoh, but undoubtedly my mother would see it, and then i would have to dispose of it. I am only 15, and my mother watches the news alot so she is scared of anything the news labels and "dangerous" (not that most of that stuff isnt dangerous....but) and there would be no use in explaining to her that (if i seal it off properly) there is very little harm.(most of the harm being if it cracks or someone opens the top or somthing like that.

Guest chendoh

Do you have a place outside?, like your family's shed, a woodpile?

The woodpile reminds me that you could get mushroom kits for growing your own, like Shitake, and if you get really good at it, you could start you own business by selling to restraunts, and small grocery stores.

Yes, as long as you can maintain proper growing conditions inside (eg: moisture level)

yup and that brings me back to the question: how can i make it so i can grow mold in an environment suitable for them to grow so i can observe what molds do what?

Guest chendoh

You can't as long as...........

undoubtedly my mother would see it, and then i would have to dispose of it. :naughty: I am only 15, and my mother watches the news alot so she is scared of anything the news labels and "dangerous" :eek: (not that most of that stuff isnt dangerous....but) and there would be no use in explaining to her that (if i seal it off properly) there is very little harm.(most of the harm being if it cracks or someone opens the top or somthing like that.:doh:

Try to explain that it's for next years science project. :hihi:

Google....Growing molds.