Science Forums

We need a trillion more indoor plants.

I too planted trees in places I have lived (still do) hoping that I would stay there long enough to see them in all there glory,

But as fate would have it I have never seen any of these trees grow up, but take consolation in the fact that I have planted over 50 trees in my lifetime and would like to think that they are all still there.

This place that I live now (for 13 years) I have planted two sycamores, two hickory, three water oaks a orange tree and one other that I can't remember the name, although I have had to to cut down a 24" pine (pine bores) one 10" wild cherry (lighting strike) and one 30" water oak (split down the middle in hurricane).

The tree chair sounds really cool And I wish you a pic of it!

I think if you want something to happen it can,

if you give it a chance,

keep working it,

and Don't take no for a answer.

turtle, when you say harvest, you mean cut?

i like the pot idea for bringing inside, but have you ever tried to grow an outdoor (the types that grow in the PNW) indoors? it's not easy....i am from the same area as you (BC) and my god it wasn't easy getting outdoor species indoors (you got bonsai right? you know. grow a cold bonsai inside all year...). It's not just light, but humidity and temperature etc... great idea, but the specie of tree would be SUPER important. Perhaps ficus for indoor chairs? they have the benefit of a banyan style growth habit aka support/braces lol.

turtle, when you say harvest, you mean cut?

i like the pot idea for bringing inside, but have you ever tried to grow an outdoor (the types that grow in the PNW) indoors? it's not easy....i am from the same area as you (BC) and my god it wasn't easy getting outdoor species indoors (you got bonsai right? you know. grow a cold bonsai inside all year...). It's not just light, but humidity and temperature etc... great idea, but the specie of tree would be SUPER important. Perhaps ficus for indoor chairs? they have the benefit of a banyan style growth habit aka support/braces lol.

Yes; harvest = cut. You grow the furniture to the size and form you want, then cut the supporting trunks, dress & level the feet/legs and voila... :( Treat the piece as you would any household furnishing. The ground is now free to start growing another piece of furniture. :QuestionM

I agree that keeping them alive indoors is not practical; I took a flight of fancy there. B) Last year I was down to 1 bonsai from ~200, and bringing it inside last Winter is what killed it. :singer: For my chair, I allowed select side shoots to grow & tied them in place to form support braces, rungs, the seat, the arms, and to fill in the back. Because of the intergrowth, the bark is left intact as it's nearly imposssible to remove. Advantage furniture farmer however, as no wood finish is required. B)

Adjunct Professor Margaret Burchett at the University of Technology Sydney led a number of trials with plants placed inside large airtight glass containers or chambers.

. . .

In what Professor Burchett terms a “dungeon” (basement) or window-tight situation, there is a toxic mixture of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) found in indoor air. Although these compounds are present indoors in low individual concentrations, they are capable of producing toxic symptoms in humans — and the cocktail can be addictive, or even synergistic in its effects.

New paint, carpets, furniture and fittings radiate these VOCs, and Professor Burchett and her colleagues caution that “if you smell that new office smell, you are scenting the toxic VOCs”.

. . .

Dominant VOC toxicity symptoms are sore eyes, nose and throat; a feeling of dizziness; loss of concentration; headaches; mild nausea; faint disorientation; and mildly depersonalised feelings. These are the same symptoms present in “sick building syndrome” or “building-related illness”.

Professor Burchett’s research group has shown that a mixture of plant species — including:

Spathiphyllum (Peace Lily)

Howea forsteriana (Kentia Palm)

Dracaena marginata (Marginata)

Dracaena deremensis (Janet Craig)

Epipremnum aureum (Devil’s Ivy)

can achieve a complete removal of VOCs in 24 hours in a closed chamber with no ventilation, and a 10 to 20 per cent reduction in flow-through conditions.

These removal rates rise with increasing VOC concentrations, which have been tested from five to 1000 parts per million in the case of benzine (where the occupational maximum indoor concentration in Australia is five ppm, averaged over an eight-hour day).

Professor Burchett emphasises that one does not need a “rain forest” to detoxify basement or sealed office areas, and states that plants strategically placed in the workplace can achieve significant results.

Several large, shoulder-high plants from the recommended species could be placed on the floor, and smaller plants could be sited near computers and on desk surfaces.

. . .

. ..

In a British experiment, scientists claim that rats died after being released into small tanks with edge-to-edge new carpets. And in a study conducted for the housing department in the United Kingdom, it was found that pot plants reduced by one third the build-up of nitrogen oxides in houses with gas fires and stoves, which produce these compounds.

A recent Swedish study to improve the indoor environment in an x-ray unit situated in a hospital “dungeon”, demonstrated conclusively that pot plants not only achieved a substantial reduction in total VOCs in the indoor air but also reduced worker absenteeism by 60 per cent (!!!)

. . .The World Health Organisation report, The Right to Healthy Indoor Air, published in 2000, highlights increasing recognition of a legal obligation on the part of owners and managers to supply healthy air for the occupants

The Benefits of Indoor Plants - Sustainable Gardening Australia

Here is an interesting list of claims from an indoor plant hire company

Action Indoor Plant Hire - Benefits of Indoor Plants

With plants in your office:

You can increase productivity

You can Increase employee retention

You can have cleaner air and a healthier environment by reduction of VOCS

You can improved your corporate image

You can reduce stress and cut down on distractions due to office noise

You can reduce employee down time

You can boost comfort levels

You can attract and retain selective employees

You can foster a positive image

Plants aid in the learning process

Plants add colour

and!!!

Cleaner Air - Healthier Environment with lower concentrations of VOCs

Plant-filled rooms contain 50% to 60% fewer airborne moulds and bacteria than rooms without plants. By cleaning workplace air with plants, you can significantly reduce sick leave expenses.

Indoor plants help to improve the quality of life indoors in many different ways, they are:

They reduce the harmful substances in the indoor air, for example volatile organic compounds (VOC's); they support the stabilization of the relative humidity and also support the oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange (O2/CO2).

They are cheaper in use when compared to powerful air filter systems.

They offer flexibility in the selection of their location and, if necessary, can be moved or relocated.

They are environmentally friendly.

They offer aesthetic stimulants to people in the rooms.

They do not cause acoustic problems.

They do not interfere with ventilation systems that are already installed.

If cared for professionally, they will keep up high results on relatively low maintenance costs.

They offer flexibility in their regular care, this means that the maintenance intervals are not of such high importance.

They help to create a balanced working climate and thereby support good motivation.

They can be used as attractive and splendid room dividers in open plan offices.

They reduce blinding effects and the tiring of the eyes in that they reflect yellow/green spectrum, which the human eye response to as being pleasant and relaxing.

The introduction of plants requires no change to the structure of the building.

They offer the opportunity to discretely solve an environmental problem.

Live Plants only require relatively low purchase or regular hire/maintenance costs.

The possibility of a sudden breakdown is relatively low.

OK Everyone

I need some seriuos focused brainpower now.

I have found someone who can print the stickers to stick on the plastic plants

Safety Signs & Safety Labels from Seton Australia

The proble is what to sy

i liked the idea of the word "Please",as in:

Garden & Lawn Signs - Seton Australia

Or perhaps some initials NPP? as in

Then something more dramatic perhaps

or

Flammable Safety Signs - Seton Australia

or something abit ironic sarcastic?

There are so many

Safety Signs & Safety Labels from Seton Australia

Something educational

Have cleaner air

Plant a real plant

Have a healthier environment

Plant a real plant

or

Please

Plant a real plant

for cleaner air

Another problem

What colour to print them

Green sounds good but it might just merge into the green plastic

O Dear so hard:)

I am a sticker enthusiast myself and would love to get my hand in this.

I would go with yellow or red stickers, or white, maybe.

caution:

this plant is dead

caution:

this plant is plastic

warning:

this plant is fake

please plant a live one

warning:

this plant is useless

attention:

clean air cannot come

from plastic leaves

attention:

real flowers smell better

I wish I were a real plant.

I wish I could breathe.

I wish I could grow.

attention:

This plant won't grow.

Please, plant a real one.

For better air replace me

with a real plant.

:)I'll come up with more.:eek_big:

I am a sticker enthusiast myself and would love to get my hand in this.

I would go with yellow or red stickers, or white, maybe.

caution:

this plant is dead

caution:

this plant is plastic

warning:

this plant is fake

please plant a live one

warning:

this plant is useless

attention:

clean air cannot come

from plastic leaves

attention:

real flowers smell better

I wish I were a real plant.

I wish I could breathe.

I wish I could grow.

attention:

This plant won't grow.

Please, plant a real one.

For better air replace me

with a real plant.

:)I'll come up with more.;)

O WOW

I like them all

Perhaps a Hypography poll?

What is the maximum number you can vote for!

"I wish I were a real plant." is so heart-rending it needs a picture logo of some kind. Perhaps Bambi being squashed by Godzilla's foot?

Mostly Ganoderma the signs will being attached to plastic plants in Pubs, Clubs, Fast Food Outlets, Shopping Centres, Offices and Government Departments. All those too mean,too oblivious of Global Warming, too tired or stupid, or cheap to hire or buy a few plants. So colour- fading should not be a problem. We could always add some UV protection in the ink I think.

Hopefully we will have an earth friendly super glue that makes them impossible to remove.;)

I never thought of Car or bumper stickers. That is a whole new area for Terrorist Propaganda!:D:):)1

They could be green.

What sort of slogan would work on a car/bike/bikie's jacket?

Stickers

Of course, we again have a problem.

Stickers will have to be made from recycled paper .

It there such a thing as recyclable ink?

Footnote We need a snazzy, hip, ageless, all demographic but cool name for Our Terrorist Group. Perhaps exotic but pronounceable for the website (in tiny letters on stickers?)

eg

The Green Panthers?

Khmer Green?

Real Plant Patriotic Front (RPPF)?

National Plant Liberation Army (NPLA)?

Revolutionary Army Against Plastic Plants ( with the exception of Christmas trees)RAAPPWECT

Jihad Against Plastic Plants (JAPP)?(Ex Xmass trees)

Revolutionary People's Struggle against Plastic Plants (RPSAPP) (Ex Xmass trees)

Al-Umm ah don't like plastic ( a bit lame)

The Um Supreme Truth of Green Plants ( getting a bit quasi religions here, which is good for tax breaks)

H'sbat al-Ansar ( exotic but not very descriptive) (Ex Xmass trees)

Organization of the Oppressed on Earth ( A good one but unfortunately already taken by Hezbollah)

Green Volunteers (Sounds like an alternative to National Service- a bit lame)

Al' Green Martyrs Brigade (Implies self immolation-far too messy)

Democratic Front for the Liberation of Plastic. (Ex Xmass trees)(Sounds like we want to steal their stupid plastic plants & then they would go out and buy new ones.)

Army of the Righteous Plastic Plant Haters (Ex CT's)

Lashkar-e-Tayyiba (What's Kashmir for Plastic Plant?)

The Shining Path of Greenness (I like this one. Just the right a touch of religion, fanaticism and fundamentalism -ex. xMas trees)

My thanks to the CIA's list of terrorist organisations for inspirational ideas.

Terrorism - Terrorist Organizations

even more here

USCFL - Complete List of Terrorist and Insurgency Groups Worldwide

My head spins. So many decisions. Keep the ideas flowing!

This is the brainstorming period of Revolutionary Activity.:)

Hungry Microbes Share Out The Carbon In The Roots Of Plants

ScienceDaily (Oct. 21, 2007) — Sugars made by plants are rapidly used by microbes living in their roots, according to new research at the University of York, creating a short cut in the carbon cycle that is vital to life on earth.

The green leaves of plants use the energy of sunlight to make sugar by combining water with carbon dioxide from the atmosphere

. This sugar fuels the plant’s growth, but scientists in the University’s Department of Biology discovered that some of it goes straight to the roots to feed a surprising variety of microbes.

In the carbon cycle, plants remove carbon dioxide (a greenhouse gas) from the atmosphere.

Eventually, the carbon compounds that plants make are ‘eaten’ by microbes and animals, which release carbon dioxide back into the atmosphere.

The rapid cycling demonstrated by the new research is an important link in this process.

Hungry Microbes Share Out The Carbon In The Roots Of Plants

"I wish I were a real plant." is so heart-rending it needs a picture logo of some kind. Perhaps Bambi being squashed by Godzilla's foot?

:eek:

:)

Stickers

Of course, we again have a problem.

Stickers will have to be made from recycled paper .

It there such a thing as recyclable ink?

No that I've ever heard of, but there is plant based ink such as soy ink. Seems appropriate, eh? ;)

Footnote We need a snazzy, hip, ageless, all demographic but cool name for Our Terrorist Group. Perhaps exotic but pronounceable for the website (in tiny letters on stickers?)

Sounds like a good idea. But perhaps it should be a "Inspirist group" rather than a "terrorist group". A little more PC ya know. ;)

Real Plant Patriotic Front (RPPF)?

National Plant Liberation Army (NPLA)?

Those two are my favorites from the list. :)

Sounds like a good idea. But perhaps it should be a "Inspirist group" rather than a "terrorist group". A little more PC ya know. :)

"Terrorist gives it a sense of menace an In-your face, tough, street wise, feel. But I guess many are frightened by the word these days due to government fear mongering. Even my 90YO M-I-Law is terrified that an Arab will bomb her in the outer suburbs of Sydney

But Inspirist sounds a liitle mild mannered and Clark Kent rather than Superman?

Those two are my favorites from the list. :eek:

yes I think I agree.[EVIL]

Green Schools Offer Healthier Classrooms -- and Might Boost Test Scores

. . .

. . .

Indoor air pollution is another challenge.

As many as 15,000 schools have poor indoor air quality that triggers asthma, causes headaches, and spreads airborne illness, especially among children, who breathe more air, proportionally, than adults.

Forest Hills' has 30 percent fresh air recirculating in the classrooms, says Tom Walters, director of energy and construction management for Forest Hills, "to keep the kids healthier."

Still, green schools are missing one thing -- that 'new' school smell that comes from conventional paints, glues, and tile.

Traditional classroom construction materials release chemical gas for years. Green classrooms use materials that don't emit chemicals, and also do not emit an odor. "People are used to a 'new building' smell," says Heinen, "but the ideal situation is not being able to smell anything at all."

AlterNet: Health and Wellness: Green Schools Offer Healthier Classrooms -- and Might Boost Test Scores

So why can't the kids learn how to make, care for, and produce indoor plants in science, agriculture,environment, biology and horticultures courses?

how much does it cost to get "30 percent fresh air recirculating in the classrooms"

In high school I took a year of botany, I learned everything there was to know about a greenhouse, I even grew hydroponic sunflowers. . . outside in the greenhouse. Go back into the highschool and there wasn't a single living plant, anywhere.

I definately agree everyone trapped indoors for scheduled amounts of time need to see life, breathing, growing life. Not to mention how beneficial they are to the entire environment.

What is interesting is the healthy affect of bringing a lot of plants inside to clean the air, can be simulated by living outside. The proposed idea is to make the inside, look like the outside.

One of the biggest factors that got us into this mess, was the rising price of energy. It became necessary to seal structures, to conserved energy. Doing that we seal in artificial air and seal out the outside. The old house, with a lot of drafts, was actually a very healthy house. One only had to crank up the heat and enjoy the fresh air drafts. Now one needs to plug the fresh air vents up, to conserve energy. This seals out the outside making the inside air stale, in need some type of correction.

What is interesting is the healthy affect of bringing a lot of plants inside to clean the air, can be simulated by living outside.

I would say it the other way around.

The proposed idea is to make the inside, look like the outside.

Not only that, but to make the inside into/out-of the outside, or is it the outside the inside. Well, you know what I mean. :turtle:

One of the biggest factors that got us into this mess, was the rising price of energy. It became necessary to seal structures, to conserved energy. Doing that we seal in artificial air and seal out the outside. The old house, with a lot of drafts, was actually a very healthy house. One only had to crank up the heat and enjoy the fresh air drafts. Now one needs to plug the fresh air vents up, to conserve energy. This seals out the outside making the inside air stale, in need some type of correction.

It's a tradeoff between comfort and fresh air I suppose.

No building is perfectly sealed (with the exceptions of disease labs etc.). Air can migrate in and out. Air conditioning units cycle air as well. Houses have to be built with air in mind (houses that incorporate wood). Otherwise, moisture would rot the wood if it became trapped. Air vents are standard on houses these days and have been for a very long time. Commercial buildings suffer from poor air quality much more frequently than residential buildings due to a more sealed build. Plants can help filter the air, but their role in physical air circulation is minimal at best.

I wonder if the gaseous transfers occurring during photosynthesis have ever been measured for speed and distance (as well as all the other factors involved: entropy, dispersion rate, etc.)? :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Ha Ha Ha!

FRIDAY, Nov. 16 (HealthDay News) -- While bringing home a live Christmas tree marks the beginning of the holiday season for many, the mold that thrives on its branches can trigger weeks of suffering for some, a new study shows.

Connecticut researchers have found that the mold count from a live Christmas tree rose to five times the normal level two weeks after the tree was brought indoors, and that can prove problematic for people with mold allergies. Their research was presented this week at the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology annual meeting, in Dallas.

"Christmas trees are another possible source of mold exposure during the holiday season," said study co-author Philip Hemmers, an allergist and immunologist with St. Vincent's Medical Center in Bridgeport, Conn. "Mold allergies peak in the fall, and we see a second peak with a lot of our mold-sensitive patients during the holiday season. Our finding correlates with this second peak of mold sensitivity."

The researchers studied the mold growth of a live Christmas tree in a house in Connecticut. Mold reproduce by releasing spores into the air, so after the live Christmas tree was brought inside the house and decorated, the researchers measured mold spore counts. These counts were taken 12 times over a two-week period between Dec. 24 and Jan. 6. The researchers did not assess the types of mold or whether these molds triggered allergic symptoms in people living in the house.

The study found that the mold spore count was 800 spores per square meter (m3) for the first three days. Normal spore counts are less than 1,000 spores/m3, said Hemmers. However, the spore count rose after day four, reaching a maximum of 5,000 spores/m3 by day 14.

"This mold spore count is five times above normal. These high levels have been correlated with allergic rhinitis and an increased rate of asthma symptoms and asthma-related hospitalization in other studies," said Hemmers. "So if you don't feel well during the holidays, consider the Christmas tree as a possible source of allergies."

We were talking about the excessiveness of christmas trees.

Just in time for the season, too.