Science Forums

We need a trillion more indoor plants.

• 2 weeks later...

i am hoping to experiment with some LED growing lights. i am thinking using Pereksiopsis spathulata (a very fast growing cacti with true leaves). the reason is this plant grows quick, very hardy, and shows whether it has good light or poor light by its leaf size/shape. once i find some in the right spectrum's i will give wiring a go...not my area. anybody have any good sites for learning how to wire up your own LED boards?

i am hoping to experiment with some LED growing lights. i am thinking using Pereksiopsis spathulata (a very fast growing cacti with true leaves). the reason is this plant grows quick, very hardy, and shows whether it has good light or poor light by its leaf size/shape. once i find some in the right spectrum's i will give wiring a go...not my area. anybody have any good sites for learning how to wire up your own LED boards?

I found this site that shows how to hook up the lighting hope this helps you out.

ILLUMALED Wiring Diagram — International Light Technologies, Inc.

This site has some good information too.

Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) Lighting

is this what you were looking for?

it does indeed, i hope my electric inept brain can get it right.

so to get it straight. it is basically like this?

you wire your "LED Driver" to an "illumaled module" (what is that???). then you can put 1 light in the white wire and one light in the black wire? or are those connectors?

is illumaled the light or something fancy? god i suck at technical stuff!

[LED driver]====[illumaled module]====[one light per wire]====[illumaled module]

it does indeed, i hope my electric inept brain can get it right.

so to get it straight. it is basically like this?

you wire your "LED Driver" to an "illumaled module" (what is that???). then you can put 1 light in the white wire and one light in the black wire? or are those connectors?

is illumaled the light or something fancy? god i suck at technical stuff!

[LED driver]====[illumaled module]====[one light per wire]====[illumaled module]

http://www.intl-lighttech.com/library/Datasheets/illumaled_wiring.pdf

I think 'ILLUMALED' module is the company name for the pre-wired bank/group of LED's they produce. The "LED driver" looks to be a transformer with rectifier; a device to convert house current AC to low voltage DC.

The "LED driver" you need is determined by how many modules to use; the more modules the greater the current required. See upper left corner of link, where it says:

Note 2: Use a combination of 1,2,3, or 5 module drivers to power more than 5 modules.

Does that clarify? :turtle:

it does indeed :eek: thanks a lot...i know transformers thanks for the help!

so do all LED run off DC?

This source says some LED's run on low voltage AC, but 'not as well' (?) as DC. :rotfl: :turtle:

frequently asked questions about LED's

LED bulbs are DC driven - this means that the LEDs themselves run on DC power only - so if LED bulbs are used in a 240v situation where there are long cable runs you would have to use a 240v AC/12v AC transformer.

Some LED bulbs simply won't run on 12v AC (like the new 3w units), although we do stock bulbs that carry a 12v AC/DC tag it's been our experience that they simply don't like being run on AC.

Darn moody LED's! Maybe if we soaked them first in Zoloft?? :evil::Alien:

Plants 'mess up' climate change predictions

Michael Kahn

Reuters

Thursday, 30 August 2007

Current predictions for global warming underestimate the risk of floods and overestimate the impact of droughts by not taking into account the role plants play in absorbing carbon dioxide, researchers say.

News in Science - Plants 'mess up' climate change predictions - 30/08/2007

No one is studying the effects of a trillion indoor plants in each of our big cities.

• 2 weeks later...
I think this should be promoted worldwide as another green peace action especially when we can see many silly people putting fake / plastic plants inside the malls, commercial buildings and restaurants...

Jet i can't give you any more reputation but you are my sole mate

My idea is to have stickers printed saying something like

"Shithouse plastic plants"

or

" Excellent you are greening the world" for those that have real plants.

I am seriously thinking of getting these printed if I can think of a better word than "****-house" or some other clever slogan.

I will then sell them on the internet for green guerrillas to place on plastic plants in shopping malls/offices or "Stars" on businesses that use real plants.

My local shopping mall has 100, 5m high, plastic palm trees!

Why?!?

Who does that help?

The only thing stopping me now is a good slogan for anti-plastic plants (and about $10,000).:shrug:

Put on your thinking cap please!

Maybe not plants indoors but I use plants in the greenhouses as environment indicators, particularly during the winter. Having an important collection it is imperative that I watch the air conditions. For humidity I use Tillandsia unisoides (Air Plant) for humidity and Chloriphytum for air condition. The leaves of Chloriphytum show at the first sign that there is something wrong. I burn natural gas for heating during the winter, not to keep them warm but into the tolleration of the plants I grow.

I know I could by instruments to do the job but when I started with plants in the mid 60's there were no such instruments available.

The only thing stopping me now is a good slogan for anti-plastic plants (and about $10,000).:)

Put on your thinking cap please!

Ok, this can be fun...I'll just throw ideas to get started, so most of these will probably suck...

"Attack of the killer tomatoes! Oh wait, they're fake! lol"

"I gave my loved one a plastic rose, and was given a plastic smile"

"I will surely die, but my houseplants will live forever"

"Always dust your houseplants, at least every 50 years or so"

"Eat more greens, but avoid the plastic ones"

"Palm Trees are cool, fake palm trees are cold (touch me)"

"Don't look at me, I'm not real"

"Do you reallly think they water me?"

"Please feed the hungry! (brought to you by the Plastic Plant Association for Minority (ie REAL plants) Equality) PPAME"

"Plastic plants are easy to care for. They're already permanently dead!"

"Support dust, buy more plastic plants"

"Plastic plants make CO2, not O2"

"Suck on a plastic grape, I'm going live!"

"I could have been a toy, but instead I am a plastic rose"

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on plastic plants"

"Plastics are good technology, plastic plants are poor implementation"

"The Eleventh Commandment; Thou shalt not grow idol plants"

"Plastic plants belong in industrial areas"

"Real plants are moving"

"Don't turn oil into Christmas trees"

"Give a hoot, don't buy plants that don't respire"

"Plastic plants suck...well, not air or water, but they still suck"

:doh:

:D

"I gave my loved one a plastic rose, and was given a plastic smile"

That is great!!!!

this thread has inspired me as well. i am bring some plants inside again and see how they work out. if the ants play nice the plants will remain. orchids can do fairly well in darker situations. ferns are also a great source of foliage for dark houses.

Do we really need to bother that an old lady puts plastic flowers in her window?

Plastic flowers are a way of recycling 000's of tons of used plastic, as well as providing employment for someone in China, if all are happy then who are we to say it is wrong. Most people that put plastic into their windows do so because the environment in their homes does not support the cultivation of living material. Quite simply the atmosphere is too dry and too dark to grow plants other than succulents and cacti. The way forward is to teach the kids how to grow plants and the first thing is to make them enjoy plants. I volunteer my time to teach garden science in a primary school and the kids love it. This afternoon I have had a class of 7-8 year olds and you would be surprised what they do not know. Where does potatoes come from? "The supermarket". Which insects do we kill "All of them" Never do you hear my father showed me that, it is always my grandpa showed me, it is though we have missed a generation to the supermarket/garden centre.

What we need do is encourage everyone to grow a plant, it does not matter whether it be indoors or out even to the point of sponsoring the planting of a tree