Science Forums

Smokes and bombs

TINNY

hmm, interesting, smokes... i dont know, gotta do a little research on that.

As for bombs...I'm not sure if its good idea to post things like these here.

Anything, the basic idea is nitration of organic compounds, producing an unstable ONO2 groups....

well, these bombs stuffs are just for your interests... do not demonstrate them! it is against the federal law! you will be dead before you know what happens!

If you wanna see what would happen, there are tons of demonstration online done by experts, take a look at this website if you like seeing dangerous stuffs reacting and the production of em:

http://www.powerlabs.org/chemlabs/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a copy of the anarchist cookbook, I advise you, as someone fairly knowledgable in this field to NEVER try making any of the bombs and explosives it "tells" you how to make, unless you want to die or lose limbs.

There are two options if you have an interest in explosives (there is a very large difference between explosives and bombs, bombs are intended to kill and destroy, explosives are just another extremely interesting group of chemicals). The first is to join a forum discussing explosives and related subjects, such as roguesci.org or to a lesser extent sciencemadness.org . Both these sites have a great deal of information on the subject.

The second option (and highly advised even if you do go join some forums) is to find books on the subject. The Chemistry and Technology of Explosives, volume 1 to 4, is a very informative book about the chemistry, properties and synthesis of a vast number of explosives. Chemistry of Powder and Explosives is also supposed to be a good read, although I haven't had time to actually read my digital copy yet. Brassey's World Military Technology, Explosives, Pyrotechnics and Porpellants is also a good source of information on both the chemicals as well as some great information on the processes of burning and detonation. Generally, these books can be found for free in pdf format on the net, rogue science has a vast amount of information assembled by it's members which includes scans of the above books as well as much more.

Explosives is a very interesting aspect of chemistry, however, it's also a very dangerous one if you don't know what you are doing, and even when you do know what you are doing. The anarchists cookbook is full of extremely unsafe ideas, that will probably cost you limbs if you try them. The same goes for many websites dealing with the subject. There are a fair amount that deal with the subject in a responsible way, however this are never filled with information on "making bombs". They deal with chemistry, not stupidity.

Personally, I'm more interested in the theorectical aspects of explosives than practical aspects, though that does interest me, I'm much more likely to be researching than making some nitric esters (that and I have no nitric acid so I can't anyway).

Just a question to the mods- is theorectical discussion of the chemistry of explosive compounds discouraged as well? I understand the "no bombs" policy, but chemistry of explosives, not how to make them is harmless and definatly interesting.

Anything regarding information or procedures of making dangerous explosive should not be discussed in this forum (how to obtain nitric acid...etc).

Well, but theories, online demonstrations or linkswould be welcome, just dont encourage anyone to make dangerous chemicals, perform any kind of dangerous reaction or harm anyone using information from this forum.

(dont feel discourage of posting here, just dont go too far. ;) )

Yes, all nitric esters have this medical abilities, many much stronger than nitroglycerin such as methyl nitrate or ethylene glycol dinitrate. These are also more volatile and so you can be effected by breathing the fumes.

The famous 'nitro headache' is caused by the effects of nitric esters on blood vessels, they widen in the brain and cause a supposably very painful headache. Immunity to these effects builds up fairly quickly however. If enough nitroglycerine is there the effects can become severe enough that blood pressure will drop to nearly nothing and death will follow.

Nitroglycerin is much more stable than portrayed in the movies, if properly cleaned and purified. Also, nitroglycerin requires a very strong initial shock to undergo full detonation, a weak shock will produce a weak (realative to the full potential) explosion. Generally a #8 blasting cap equivalent is required to get a full detonation.

Methyl nitrate on the other hand can undergo a near full power detonation from even the weakest detonater.

I can live with those rules! I'll not start spouting out stuff on how to make 'kewl bombz' and such.

oh, and regarding your link on nitroglycerin as medicine:

"Nitroglycerin may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide."

:)

Also, I should point out technically nitroglycerin is not a realy compound. Glycerin trinitrate is the proper term. The difference is this:

Nitrate O-NO2

Nitro C-NO2

Nitramine N-NO2

If nitroglycerin where made it would have the formula C3H5N3O6 instead of C3H5N3O9. Nonetheless, everyone knows what you mean when you say nitroglycerin, and since everyone calls it that it doesn't really matter.

How do you produce the best smoke effects for onstage acts?

What about bombs. I got this anarchists cookbook i got from Kazaa. really cool bombs! Got any crazy ideas?

Hello all!

Anyways the anarchist cookbook is pure bullshit. Dont make any thing in it. It has such great ideas like combining sulphur with percholrates, a good idea if you want to blow yourself up.

I was reading one part and they had the formula for ethanol wrong!!!!!

As far as crazy ideas, the crazyest idea would be make the stuff in it. ;)

Anyways A good smoke mixture is three parts Potasium Nitrate (KNO3) and one part sugar. You can mix it toghether, then light it. Will burn easily and make lots of white smoke.

As far as making "bombs" HE is the most fun, but like they say if you have to ask you shouldn't be messing around with it...

• 2 weeks later...

I'd think it would be more like 1,2,3-O-nitro-propane or something, though I can't remember the correct name for the ONO2 group.

IIRC sulfur only reacted with chlorates (SO2 formation caused a rapid serious of reactions which quickly ignited the mixture, SO2 gas ignited it like a match), though I would think that mixing perchlorates and sulfur is not a great idea. I'll have to check though, I've seen alot of pyrotechnics discussions using sulfur and perchlorate oxidizers, but that was a while ago and I didn't read that closely.

Anyways the anarchist cookbook is pure bullshit. Dont make any thing in it. It has such great ideas like combining sulphur with percholrates, a good idea if you want to blow yourself up.
There are some in the "black-helicopter" crowd who are convinced that the Anarchists Cookbook is a CIA plot to rid the world of Anarchists, "black-helicopter" conspiracy theorists and other patriots....

Steal This Book,

Buffy