Science Forums

Smokes and bombs

TINNY

I have done something ages ago. I CERTAİNLY DO NOT RECOMMEND TO WORK WİTH NITROs.

Be away from explosives, as 1ml of nitro can get you finger off easily. Its a bad reality that you cant make fun of a bit of explosive. A little mass is a big mess in fact...(hey it fit like poem :xx: )

___Working as a roady years ago, I was operating a spot from the top of a covered arena & my compadres were just at the foot of the stage in the orchestra pit working the other lights; unbeknownst to us, the band had prepeared a little pyrotechnics. They overloaded the flashpots & the resulting flash scorched not only our speaker cabinets, but our tech as well.

___Any theatrical smoke effects, dry ice included is strictly for experienced experts. Dry ice contained too tightly can explode & mishandled can produce severe burns. Recently in the US (New Jersey I think) a band set off some smoke pots & caught the ceiling foam on fire & then burned the place to the ground killing a memeber of the band & many other patrons.

___Don't even mess with this stuff! :xx:

nitroglycerin is also a drug... weird.
For a long time. Small stabilized tablets taken sublingually (under the tongue), absorbed rapidly. They directly dilate the coronary vasculature. Other nitrates (e.g., isosorbide) are taken orally and last longer, but with less dramatic effect. Nitroglycerin is for acute events only.

The famous 'nitro headache' is caused by the effects of nitric esters on blood vessels, they widen in the brain and cause a supposably very painful headache.
True. In fact, I inhaled some once in organic lab, collapsed, and got hauled off to the hospital. Pretty interesting day.

• 2 weeks later...
...1ml of nitro can get you finger off easily...

From my experience (with methyl nitrate, similar, but much less sensitive to impact, and less powerful per volume because it's density is lower) 1mL would remove a good portion of your arm, should it accidently detonate.

As for nitroglycerine, I certainly wouldn't recommend making it and not stabilizing by gelling/adding to porous material. There are other nitric esters (ethylene glycol dinitrate, for example, same synthesis, more powerful, much less sensitive to everything) that would work better.

At the moment, I'm looking into a very interesting nitramine explosive, cis-syn-cis-2,6-Dioxo-1,3,4,5,7,8-hexanitrodecahydro-1H,5H-diimidazo[4,6-b:4',5'-e]pyrazine, which is apparently the most powerful explosive in the world. At the moment I'm trying to find another journal that might describe it's explosive properties, right now I only have two describing it's synthesis as well as some physical properties, and the fact that it's the most powerful explosive in the world (morso than CL-20 or even octanitrocubane).

It has the highest density of a carbon-hydrogen-nitrogen-oxygen explosive, 2.07g/mL. The formula is C6H4N12O14, giving it a perfect oxygen balance to CO2 and H2O.

The synthesis as reported didn't seem to efficient with the nitric acid, so I wrote up my own synthesis, that first nitrates to lower nitrated compounds and then by the addition of N2O5 and strong heating finishes nitration, with an expected yield of 75-85%. This cut down on the nitric acid, but uses lots of acetic anhydride. Luckily it can be regenerated without to much hassle once turned into acetic acid by the water.

Here's the journals I have on it:

2,6-Dioxodecahydro-1H,5H-diimidazo[4,5-b:4',5'-e]pyrazine, Vedachalam et al, J. Org. Chem, Vol 56, No. 10, 1991, pg 3413-3419

describes the synthesis of the above and it's nitration

A review of energetic materials synthesis, P.F. Pagoria et al, Thermochimica Acta 384 (2002) pg 187-204

mentions it being the most powerful explosive, as well as revealing the density.

• 2 weeks later...

What is that? A joke? Llamas?

Pathetic.

If you want to talk pyrotechnics go to these places.

http://www.power-labs.com/forum/index.php

http://xsorbit27.com/users5/crucible/index.php

http://www.roguesci.org/

http://www.xsorbit2.com/users/apcforum/index.cgi

Otherwise try to keep stuff to a basic minimum in terms of chemical compound and how it's arranged. No talk about reactions or creating.

A mate of mine works in the special effects dept. of a movie studio, and he swears by making smoke with oil. I'm no chemist, but I would think that it would smell - untill he demonstrated the machine he built for the studio to me.

Basically, it's just a little 2-stroke gas engine, with its exhaust being coiled up. Now, you run this machine for a couple of minutes 'till the exhaust heats up, then a series of fine sprayers sprays a thin mist of a specific grade oil over the exhaust-coil. I suppose you could spray diesel as well, that's how the aerobatics smokers work - they spray diesel over the exhausts. I suppose adding different compounds will affect the colour.

Any case - within a couple of minutes we had to switch off the machine, 'cause the smoke coming out of my friend's garage completely obliterated visibility on the road in front of his house, and a couple of cars almost piled into each other. This was less than three minutes after the oil-sprayers came on. And I didn't smell anything. Weird. My skin felt a little oily afterwards, though, and there was a thin film on my glasses - but why didn't it smell? Does the oil actually burn? How does it create the smoke? Burning oil gives off black smoke, and has a distinctive smell - but this smoke was bright white, and had absolutely no smell.

Like I said, I'm not a chemist's backside, but this is an extremely cool little machine!

Probably boils the oil, which condenses as soon as it cools down in the air.

I'd be concerned about the fire hazard, oil mist burns extremely well if it ignites, with huge amounts of heat. If that ignited, you'd have a VERY serious problem. But luckily oil is hard to ignite unless it's very hot, so your only fire danger would be very close to the smoker. I can't remember the flash-point of oil off the top of my head (fuels won't ignite below the flash-point), but I think it was over 200 degrees.

If the oil ignited/burned, the whole thing would turn into a fireball, most likely exploding but most definatly killing anyone nearby.

That farm a llama place is the perfect example of what not to do with explosives. That, and the people there are idiots who I hope blow off a limb or two and maybe get some sense around "explosives", if you can call bursting WD40 cans with naplam an "explosive". And they even think that it's a fuel air explosive! ARRRGG!