Science Forums

Dna

Queso

Well, according to this article (that has a bunch of other interesting points in it too about DNA replication), its only about a millionth of an inch, all wound up inside your cells, but if you could unwind it and stretch it out it would be over 3 feet (1m) long!

Small, but really big,

Buffy

It is highly condense in your cells. I really dont know of my head what is the width of the double stranded dna, but it gets condense in to 30 nm fiber, then 30 nm selenoid gets condense into 700 nm fiber and then i think 1400 nm or chromatin.

it is very thin like many of us here already mentions, according to PBS if you unrevel all of your body dna it would stretch from here to the moon and back about 3000 times (yet my molecular bio professor said only 30 times).

interesting...

there are a lot of people I've been encountering lately that believe they can use visualization techniques, sunshine, and the Mayan Tzolkin to activate their DNA.

They believed that on "Galactic Activation Portal" days (there are 52 in a Tzolkin year. Black squares on the Tzolkin)

certain people could rapidly evolve themselves through meditation.

:hihi:

there are a lot of people I've been encountering lately that believe they can use visualization techniques, sunshine, and the Mayan Tzolkin to activate their DNA.
The only question is, why do they believe they could do it? Its not necessarily impossible: we're already doing "gene therapy" which is a chemical mechanism along the same lines, but the thing is that gene therapy only changes *them* not their *offspring*. The harder part is finding the mechanism that connects "what you're visualizing" with specific--and more importantly *directed*--changes to your DNA.

You'd need a massive Improbability Drive to magnify the effect and make it happen....

Sunlight might do it, but only randomly. That's how you get skin cancer of course!

On the other hand, claims and *demonstrations* of such techniques--usually that only the "enlightened masters" or "messengers from God" can perform--become the core for religious sects or at least highly lucrative snake oil distributorships.

Caveat emptor,

Buffy

Why would it be random?
You mean the sunlight? Sunburn causes severe stress, in combination with UV rays that have high energy levels that can directly affect bits of DNA. We don't know the entire mechanism, but susceptibility to cancer has to do with the ease with which thet DNA switches for the mechanisms that control reproduction of cells can be flipped causing them to reproduce without bound. But what changes or mutations occur in a DNA strand due to this sort of external attack can be anywhere on the DNA strand. A UV ray doesn't know how to target some specific location or not, it just hits it and if it hits it right with enough energy or repeatedly enough, it can cause damage. Certain areas are more *susceptible* to sustaining this damage, thus causing problems like causing the cell to become cancerous, but there are lots of different possibilities.

Randomly distributed,

Buffy

interesting...

They believed that on "Galactic Activation Portal" days (there are 52 in a Tzolkin year. Black squares on the Tzolkin)

:shrug:

Sunshine'll activate your DNA, but not in the way you want, i.e., cancer as Buffy mentions. Meditation seems to induce gamma waves in the brain and allows one to gradually control and use different parts of the brain, which could allow rewiring or thickening (as would any intensive use or activity of the brain).

Meditation is wonderful to help focus and train the mind and ease stress. I use Zen meditation for those purposes, although I'm not Zen Buddhist or anything for that matter. (I first encountered meditation when I took aikido many, many years ago.) I appreciate it for those effects. Unfortunately, I haven't noticed any rapid evolution or grown angelic wings or felt my mind explode like the Big Bang.

Shikantaza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Health applications and clinical studies of meditation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like Buffy says, the best way to activate your DNA is to genetically engineer yourself! :)

Like Buffy says, the best way to activate your DNA is to genetically engineer yourself! :shrug:

I totally agree...Although I think sunshine (to an extent) is healing. Too much of a good thing will burn you and give you cancer.

I go crazy when I havn't absorbed any sunshine in a few days. S'why I hated NYC!

Evolution isn't fast. It's hella slow! None of us will grow wings, ever.

Although, you can get REAL good at controlling your mind in it's dreaming state and fly all night long! :)

I try to look at everything collectively, microcosmicly, and macrocosmicly.

When I do this, I see human beings evolving faster than they ever have before.

It's this great digital connection. It's the great, mysterious cosmos.

It is waves, crescendos, and spirals.

Unseen dimensions, infinite potential.

Et Cetera

The way I see it,

Our technology is definately having it's own part in our evolutionary development. Changing us, manipulating our atmosphere.

We've created tools, like the internet, to help us communicate information more efficiantly, faster, and to a broader audience.

We're are all so much more connected than we used to be.... say... 500 years ago.

Even 50 years ago, Such a huge difference.

The fact that we have such an immense amount of information right at our fingertips is definately changing our psych, I think.

It's easier to learn, it's easier to envelop yourself in so many more influences from all over the place.

Our knowledge, our minds, our experiences, we're expanding and changing so much just from our technology.

And another thing, with all this technology, all these crazy electronic gizmos we're creating, there are so many more frequencies being shot into the air.

Wavelengths of all sorts, buzzing out of our technology and into our bodies,

That in itself is probably manipulating our DNA.

I wonder if we're going to start seeing more cancer or other diseases as a backdraw to having such amazingly electic technology all over the place.

Life is getting so intense,

for humans,

for our homo species,

We couldn't have possibly asked to have been born at a more exciting time.

I totally agree...Although I think sunshine (to an extent) is healing. Too much of a good thing will burn you and give you cancer.

Well, a few minutes perhaps. Most, if any, exposure will still add genetic damage anyway.

Evolution isn't fast. It's hella slow! None of us will grow wings, ever.

Although, you can get REAL good at controlling your mind in it's dreaming state and fly all night long! :)

I'll be dreaming in a few moments. I just want to note that evolution's only as fast or slow as the mutations, natural selection, and reproduction can get under way. From our perspective, for bacteria and insects evolution's blindingly quick. From their perspective, I'm sure they wonder how we ever crawled up onto land.

I just like to look at stuff.

It's this great digital connection. It's the great, mysterious cosmos.

It is waves, crescendos, and spirals.

Unseen dimensions, infinite potential.

Et Cetera

Cosmic mudra in da house.