Science Forums

Interrogation techniques and applications

Fatstep

I'm not good at writing these, but..

I want to know what you all believe about our current system of interrogation for detainees in jails in the U.S.

I know the CIA has in the past used LSD to force confessions and insanity is often caused by isolation and sleep deprivation, but are we just doing this to get an answer, even if the person who admits doing something isn't the one who truly did it?

I want to know what you all believe about our current system of interrogation...

It sometimes works, it sometimes doesn’t. Basically, it depends. Here’s an article which may be insightful for you:

The Rules of Interrogation | TIME

If such interrogation tactics are legally questionable, are they at least useful? Is there any reason to believe that discomfort, nudity and sexual humiliation actually persuade men to share secrets? The answer is yes—sometimes—but not without great risk.

<…>

"But the human mind is more complex than that. There's no magic bullet." Over time, most intelligence professionals have settled on tools in the torture lite category. The fbi's methods fall on the genteel end of the spectrum. "Convicted felons have explained that they more likely would confess to an investigator who treated them with respect," according to a November 2002 issue of the fbi Law Enforcement Bulletin.

The interview should be a seduction, not a showdown. Suspects should be encouraged to explain their crimes as somehow rational. As any cop or reporter will tell you, most people want to tell their story, given the right incentive. Extremists and guerrilla warriors tend to be less malleable than criminals, however. And since the military and government agencies operating abroad function with fewer legal constraints, they take more risks. Last spring the Department of Defense finalized a secret "stress matrix" detailing dozens of tactics that could and could not be used at Guantanamo. The document, described to Time by a lawyer close to the process, permits sleep and sensory deprivation, among other things, under certain conditions. Depending on the personality of suspects, these strategies can be effective, experts say.

Now, if someone could find a copy of their Interrogation Stress Matrix, that’d be an interesting read for sure…

Now, if someone could find a copy of their Interrogation Stress Matrix, that’d be an interesting read for sure…

I'm onto it.. I'll be back later tonight with my findings..

I do however know one thing.. the interrogation techniques used for Government Depts is nothing like the technique the gangs in NZ use.. and the stress factor for most people when being stood over and intimidated is high..

Unless of course your name is Ashley aka Trash and ya make em a coffee.. :eek_big:

Last spring the Department of Defense finalized a secret "stress matrix" detailing dozens of tactics that could and could not be used at Guantanamo. The document, described to Time by a lawyer close to the process, permits sleep and sensory deprivation, among other things, under certain conditions. Depending on the personality of suspects, these strategies can be effective, experts say. The idea is to disorient prisoners to the point at which they lose all sense of time, normality and control—to break them, that is.

Once they "break" they will say anything whether it's true or not, so I am saying why even use these techniques. Detainees will say ANYTHING, true or not, just to avoid further torture, so are we doing this just to get answers which could very possibly be lies?