Science Forums

Polar bears....SHHHH!!!

freeztar

BUSH CAUGHT CENSORING POLAR BEAR SCIENTISTS IN ALASKA

Barely a week seems to pass without the Bush administration getting caught hiding, censoring, or denying global warming science. Last week the Center for Biological Diversity and former Clinton official Debora Williams obtained an internal administration order <http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/swcbd/press/polar-bear-03-07-2007.html>

prohibiting U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service scientists from talking about polar bears, sea ice, or global warming.

Congressmen Jay Inslee (D-WA), Bart Gordon (D-TN) and Brad Miller (D-NC) have demanded the administration withdraw the policy and explain its actions to Congress. Check out the media coverage at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/306820_bears09.html?source=mypi>,

San Francisco Chronicle

<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/03/09/MNGBQOIBMG1.DTL>,

and the Washington Post

washingtonpost.com

But they're providing aid and comfort to the terrorists! If we don't stay the course on denying global warming protecting our country's access to oil our natural resources, then the terrorists win! Those partisan hack administrators scientist's supervisors have more experience and they are good Patriotic Americans: why do the crazy enviros always blame America first?

Dittoderriere,

Buffy

No kidding, it's not a typical week without the revelation or whiff of another scandal in the air. I remember when I watched the presidential debates between Bush and Kerry, where both of them proved incompetent and uninformed about stem cells and the controversy. Later I read about complaint letters in Science from scientists who'd been censored over global warming or asked about their political and religious affiliations in the NIH in interviews or job applications. Several government climate scientists have said they've been pressured by the administration to leave or have been fired. People are scared to do science in this country. People are scared to think in this country. What Orwell wrote about in 1984 is becoming truer by the day the longer this administration remains in power.

What Orwell wrote about in 1984 is becoming truer by the day the longer this administration remains in power.

So odd you said that. There was a recent YouTube ad done using Apple's 1984 ad. It was an ad putting down Hilary Clinton (showing her in black and white on the 'indoctrination'). I kept thinking how much more appropriate it would be to show Bush or Rove up there instead:D

Science has become a political tool more so than it has been before. Unfortunately that makes science less effective at doing what it should:(

There was a recent YouTube ad done using Apple's 1984 ad. It was an ad putting down Hilary Clinton (showing her in black and white on the 'indoctrination'). I kept thinking how much more appropriate it would be to show Bush or Rove up there instead:D
The problem with that, I think, would be that many viewers would take it for an over-the-top military recruitment ad, rather than political satire. :lol: Satire has been know to backfire that way.
Science has become a political tool more so than it has been before.
I’d have to see some pretty compelling analysis before I accepted that claim!

I’m aware I’m validating Godwin's Law extraordinarily early in the thread, but der Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei engaged in an effort to justify bad policies with science back in 1930s that, I think, all but its most extreme Bush critics would be unlikely to agree has been exceeded by the present-day US Executive administration.