Science Forums

How do you write music?

Tormod

When I write music, I am very disorganized. I find that I tend to use a stream-of-consciousness approach (whatever falls into my head might get developed or it may fail). Sometimes I try to plan a structure, but more often than not my main theme develops automatically into standard ABABCA formats or similar structures.

I write by trying chords and lines on my guitar or keyboard, and then I use my sequencer (Ableton Live) to record stuff. I rarey write any notation these days, although sometimes I write down a chord progression.

One problem I have is that I own too many virtual instruments (aka VST plugins), and I have lost count of all my "creative sessions" that have been spent previewing presents rather then write anything at all. :hihi:

I sit in the sunshine in the morning and get so many ideas.

I have my own method of writing music, it makes sense to me and wouldn't make sense to you.

Sometimes I just record improvised guitar sessions and build off of those.

Sometimes I just lay down beats and play various synths to them and see what happens. I get a lot of ideas that way, too.

Pro tools, baby.

Pro tools, baby.

Take it back! Take it back!

:hihi:

Tracktion 2 here....creativity in its most unobtrusive means!

It seems we have similar workflows nonetheless.

I usually start out with a simple beat or a drum loop and improvise on top of that until I find something that fits. There is also the rare occasion that I actually "intellectually" create a tune, meaning that I use theory as a dictionary and precedence as guidance.

Now you're gonna think I'm ancient....

Cakewalk.... [runs away]

[creeps back and taunts]

...and an Arp 16-step sequencer!

If it ain't broke,

Buffy

I'd love to hear some of that ARP goodness! :(

Btw, the not-so-current-anymore trend has been towards emulations of old analog synths such as your coveted ARP. So you aren't so ancient afterall...just cool! :)

But you do need to ditch Cakewalk! :hihi:

Btw, the not-so-current-anymore trend has been towards emulations of old analog synths such as your coveted ARP. So you aren't so ancient afterall...just cool! :(
As I just found out tripping down memory lane...
But you do need to ditch Cakewalk! :hihi:
You do *not* need to tell me that!

Fight away about your favorite software, I'll probably be back to throwing money down this black hole in about 6 months....

Ringing modulators,

Buffy

Fight away about your favorite software, I'll probably be back to throwing money down this black hole in about 6 months....

Ringing modulators,

Buffy

Merely a joke to resolve your setup. :)

As you quite elegantly stated, "If it isn't broke...".

:(

(nice...ring modulator...are we in LOTR?!) :hihi:

I just did an experiment after getting all my recording equipment set up again.

Started a session in pro tools with reason rewired @ 90bpm.

Made a beat, duplicated it, panned them both (and eventually automated the panning)

I made one track sound liquid.

I just progressed and played around with synths and sharp keys.

Rearranged the beats, added more, took away some, reversed some, chopped up some and made them glitch.

It was only a 45 second test and I'll post it later it's kind of groovy.

I need a unit to sample and hold,

:)

:)

You're a relative newbie so I'll explain: you get a cookie if you correctly guess the obscure pop culture reference. If you're stumped you're welcome to post your question in 9095...

A new design, new design, :)

Buffy

Usually, I’ll just be singing and playing, often fumbling to remember some song, and begin to like the way its sounding (usually an acoustic guitar, sometimes a mandolin or an electric bass, very rarely a fiddle), and get an idea for some little story the music seems to suggest. Then, I’ll write a poem, following a regular metric foot with the usual variations for emphasis. Next, I mark it up with whatever chords inspired it, sometimes with little stretches of tablature for any phrase I don’t think I’ll remember.

Then, I try to play it in front of better musicians, hoping they’ll pick it up. In a couple of decades, this has only happened a couple of times.

I rarely record, and when I do, usually record several tracks with several people in realtime, adding a track or two later on my own for anything that seems to be missing. Wierdly, I seem to have next to no talent for live drumming, but seem to be able to add drum tracks to a recording, if not well, at least not badly.

lately i just do my finger work outs and stuff, which i do everyday, practicing scales, etc., and sometimes ill just come across a cool melody. but, i try not to write full songs, but rather approach it like a jazz song. i make a main melody and then when me and my friends get together we can jam it, with improvised solos. thats a lot of fun, and that way everytime you play a song its a little bit different, though basically the same thing.

You're a relative newbie so I'll explain: you get a cookie if you correctly guess the obscure pop culture reference. If you're stumped you're welcome to post your question in 9095...

A new design, new design, :)

Buffy

Ah ok...It was so obscure at first that I thought you just posted weird phrases at the end of every post. :)

Fun little game it is!

I need a unit to sample and hold

But not the lonely one

A new design, new design

So, do you have oatmeal or chocolate chip? :hihi:

Peeling off of my walls, :)

Freezey

Usually, I’ll just be singing and playing, often fumbling to remember some song, and begin to like the way its sounding ... Then, I try to play it in front of better musicians, hoping they’ll pick it up...
Spoken like a true bluegrass afficionado...

Crash on the levee mama water's gonna overflow, :)

Buffy

lately i just do my finger work outs and stuff, which i do everyday, practicing scales, etc., and sometimes ill just come across a cool melody. but, i try not to write full songs, but rather approach it like a jazz song. i make a main melody and then when me and my friends get together we can jam it, with improvised solos. thats a lot of fun, and that way everytime you play a song its a little bit different, though basically the same thing.

I love jazz music but find it hard to write and record a jazz song by myself. I'm running into the same trouble at the moment trying to write a prog rock song. It's just so much easier to jam out a song with these genres. Sadly I only have my roomate to jam with and he stays busy all the time (playing jazz gigs ironically).

So to those that can answer the original question with prog rock in mind, I would love to hear your methodology.