Science Forums

Wildlife Crossings

I'm curious if anyone here has some info on this subject.

It seems to be picking up momentum and is pretty big in Canada and the Nederlands already. It's an interesting concept because crossings are good for animals as well as humans. Apparently over a thousand people die each year in the states because of vehicle/animal collisions!

I'm particularly interested in new designs and international examples.

If you are unaware of such things, then perhaps this a good chance to expand your mind a bit. :shrug:

I'll post some examples if no-one responds, but I'd like to wait to see the response first.

It seems to be picking up momentum and is pretty big in Canada and the Nederlands already. It's an interesting concept because crossings are good for animals as well as humans. Apparently over a thousand people die each year in the states because of vehicle/animal collisions!

If you are unaware of such things, then perhaps this a good chance to expand your mind a bit. :(

I'll post some examples if no-one responds, but I'd like to wait to see the response first.

In Minnesota they are using the reflectors trying to reduce deer/car collisions. There are conflicting reports on the effectiveness. The deer population is very high and the roadside carnage is very apparent.

Overview of some of the projects around the US:

Why did the moose cross the road?

Heres one abstract that indicates reflectors are not effective:

http://www.bioone.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.2193%2F0091-7648(2006)34%5B1175%3AEOWWRF%5D2.0.CO%3B2

Advice from most of the folks I know who live in Minnesota, Wisconsin and other big deer/moose states:

If you see one ahead of you and you can't stop in time, GO THROUGH IT. Most people die trying to swerve and avoid the animal or in losing control from overbraking.

A moose is a lot softer than a tree,

Buffy

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got this in my email today:

For immediate release, June 19, 2007

Contact Jim Pissot: 403-678-0016, 403-609-9958

Grisly total of three grizzlies

Canmore, Alberta. Options for saving or rehablitating the cubs orphaned when their mother was crushed by a Canadian Pacific Railway train were dashed late this afternoon. Parks Canada officials confirmed today that both the grizzly cubs now are dead.

The mother bear was killed on Monday morning by a west-bound Canadian Pacific Railway train. It was reported that one of the cubs may have been struck as well. Parks Canada could found neither cub at the scene yesterday.

At about 9:00 Monday evening, the surviving cub was struck by another CP Railway train. When investigatators combed the scene a second time, the other dead cub was found.

"In fewer than 12 hours, Banff National Park has lost another family of grizzly bears," said Jim Pissot, executive director of Defenders of Wildlife Canada. "Canadians are saddened and infuriated. It's time for meaningful steps by Parks Canada and the Canadian Pacific Railway."

The loss of the sow and two cubs brings the total to twelve grizzlies killed by Canadian Pacific Railway trains in Banff National Park since 2000. There are 50 to 60 grizzlies in the park. CP Railway is the number one source of human-related grizzly bear mortality in Banff National Park. According to Parks Canada, three black bears have been killed by CP trains in Banff and Yoho national parks this year. CP Railway reported striking a additional black bear and her two cubs near the eastern border of Banff National Park, but nothing was found.

# # #

June 18, 2007

Alan Latourelle, Chief Executive Officer

Terry Perkins, Superintendent – Lake Louise, Yoho, Kootenay

Parks Canada Agency

Fred J. Green, President and Chief Executive Officer

Michael E. J. Phelps, Chair, Environmental and Safety Committee

Brock Winter, Senior Vice President, Operations

Grete Bridgewater, Manager, Environmental Policy and Regulation

Canadian Pacific Railway

Dear Ms. Bridgewater and Gentlemen,

No sooner do we breathe a sigh of relief that progress is being made to reduce wildlife mortality on the CP Railway tracks in Banff National Park, than another episode reminds us how important our work is and how far we have to go.

This morning’s death of another reproductive female grizzly and loss of her two cubs strikes another blow at the park’s grizzly bear population. I visited the site this evening and was heartsick at the scattered and bloody remnants along the track that once were one of Banff’s grizzlies. Somewhere in the woods, two cubs—one injured—likely won’t survive until next spring. I vowed then that Defenders Canada would not rest until this issue is resolved satisfactorily.

In our letter of May 11, 2006 to CP Railway leadership we repeated our request that the Railway and Parks Canada initiate the basic research needed to address wildlife collisions. These important steps include:

Monitor grain spilling and vacuuming to document the effectiveness of the repair programs and vacuum truck operation;

Identify and characterize locations where animals are seen, struck or killed as a first step to reducing collisions at these locations; and,

Document encounters between locomotives and animals to better understand how to deter animals from the tracks.

This basic information is absolutely essential if we are to resolve and reduce the unacceptable levels of wildlife mortality on CP Railway tracks.

Likely we will see media statements from the Railway and the government asserting that both parties continue to work in cooperation with one another to address the ongoing issue of wildlife mortality… Exactly what does that mean? It will mean very little to the two cubs wandering alone tonight if you cannot add some significant and substantial action to this oft repeated platitude. What will it be?

Best regards,

Jim Pissot

Executive Director

Defenders of Wildlife Canada

• 2 months later...

Here's a recent article:

Freeway bridges could aid wildlife - The Californian / North County Times -

I particularly liked this comment at the bottom:

You've got to be joking - we face MASSIVE traffic on the 15, the 215 and the 91 and we're going to build bridges for wildlife. No, no and hell no ! How is this allowed to happen - someone needs to be thrown out of office if this becomes reality. Humans first, animals second. It's pretty easy - we evolved, we made tools, we made society, we are the primary users of the Earth and it's for us, not for the animals. I don't care about our animal neighbors when we can't fix problems for us.

:lol:

An Evaluation Of Wildlife Crossing Structures: Their Use And Effectiveness

The study of road impacts upon wildlife has ignited in the last decade, but only in the past few years have efforts begun to mitigate these impacts. Engineers and biologists are now working jointly to design operative wildlife underpasses and overpasses that will temper the effect roads have upon wildlife. Effective crossing structures will help to reconnect areas of viable habitat that have become isolated due to road construction. This is an arduous task if you consider the wide-ranging species in the world, their diverse biological needs and habitat requirements.

An Evaluation Of Wildlife Crossing Structures: Their Use And Effectiveness | Wildlands CPR

Carnivore Safe Passage > Designing Effective Wildlife Crossings

• 4 weeks later...
Now, scientists are trying to determine just how many individual bears – a bellwether indicator for how the ecological integrity of the wilderness is faring – are using the crossings. They are employing old-fashioned barbed wire strung across the corridors to snag bits of fur so that high-tech DNA analysis can determine the number of males and females in the park and how they are related.

The inadvertent game of chicken in the search for food, mates and dens used to end in 800 collisions a year in Banff. Then Parks Canada began erecting wildlife-crossing structures, as well as fencing along the highway. Now, 24 wildlife crossings, both underpasses and overpasses, have helped reduce animal mortality by 80 per cent and scientists have recorded animals using the structures more than 90,000 times since 1996.

globeandmail.com: Building bridges back to nature

Florida was one of the first states to recognize and react to the detrimental impact that roads have on wildlife. Florida’s human population has increased rapidly, from 9.7 million in 1980, to 12.9 million in 1990 to almost 16 million in 2000.3 Unfortunately, the human population grows at the expense of wildlife populations. This human increase has led to the development and expansion of roads, greater traffic density, faster highways, and increased habitat fragmentation. According to the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), for the past 50 years, the state has built an average of 4.5 miles of high-speed paved road per day.

Increased traffic and habitat fragmentation has pushed the endangered Florida panther — one of the rarest mammals in the world — ever closer to extinction. With approximately 80 cats in existence, each individual killed on Florida’s highways is a devastating loss. Between 1978 and 1994, 20 panther deaths (12 males and 8 females) and six injuries were documented from collisions with cars and trucks. Spring 2001 was especially deadly. Seven cats were killed on Florida highways in three months — as many as in all of 2000.4

When Alligator Alley, which crosses South Florida, was converted to I-75, 24 underpasses were installed to aid the crossing of panthers and other wildlife. Roadkill and radio telemetry data were assessed to find the best locations for the new underpasses. In addition to the underpasses, an 11-foot-high chain link fence topped with three strands of outrigger barbed wire was added to prevent panthers and other species from crossing the busy highway. Although primarily constructed for the panther, the crossing structures have benefited a wide range of species such as the bobcat, deer, great blue heron, wild turkey, and alligators.

The Florida black bear is another of the state’s imperiled species that has suffered great losses on roads and highways. More than 800 bears were documented to have been killed by vehicles between 1976 and 2002. State wildlife officials said increasing human encroachment on bear habitat resulted in at least 120 black bears killed by motor vehicles in 2002 alone, up from 104 in 2001.

FDOT and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission teamed up to build the state’s first underpass for black bear in 1994. The underpass on State Road 46 is a dirtfloor box culvert, 47 feet long by 24 feet wide by 8 feet high. The two-lane road was elevated above the crossing to give skittish animals a clear view across to the other side. The state also planted rows of pines in the open pasture on one side of the road to guide bears to the culvert entrance. To ensure that bears could easily access the underpass from the south, the FWC purchased a 40-acre tract of land in the bears’ travel corridor — a private “inholding” within Rock Springs Run State Park.

STPP: Reports

Florida is definitely an active state in creating wildlife crossings. Months ago, I read of a bridge project that involved placing wires above the bridge to deter birds from flying into traffic. Panthers continue to die on the roadways and here's hoping that cars will not be the nail in the coffin.

Colorado is also an active wildlife passage state. This site shows some research that has been done in regards to habitat connectivity and will serve as research for planning and funding future crossings.

Southern Rockies Ecosystem Project

:doh:

Thanks freeztar,

for the great Colorado link, (I used to live out there 30+ years ago and do miss the mountains) I'm glad to see that they are trying preserve our wildlife, I think it's a ongoing battle there is still so much needs to be done!

Florida panther deaths increase from collisions with vehicles

June 29' date=' 2007

The deaths of three Florida panthers from collisions with vehicles last week brings the total so far this year to 14, exceeding last year’s record total of 11 for one of the most endangered large mammals in the United States.

A small population in Florida represents the only known remaining members of this subspecies that once ranged throughout the Southeast. Panther numbers have increased from an estimated 20-30 panthers 20 years ago to an estimated 80-100 today.

Although Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) and Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) have used a variety of techniques to reduce panther deaths along highways, the most successful tools have been wildlife crossings and fencing. [/quote']

There have been 139 documented panther deaths since 1997' date=' 63 of which were previously live-captured and equipped with radio collars for ongoing research. Two major known causes of panther deaths are territorial battles among the cats and vehicle collisions.

FWC researchers are working with scientists at the University of Florida to create a panther population model that will help assess panther numbers over time and gauge the influence of panther losses by vehicle collisions on future population numbers. [/quote']

Hi Freeztar,

The latest around Queensland is cutting in and covering new roads when they go through sensitive environmental areas. It's a really lateral solution because it forces us humans into tunnels while the wildlife goes over the top.

It' s not surprising as around 10 years ago one state government was thrown out of office because of proposed main roads through Koala habitats.

The latest around Queensland is cutting in and covering new roads when they go through sensitive environmental areas. It's a really lateral solution because it forces us humans into tunnels while the wildlife goes over the top.

Interesting. It seems much more expensive to do that and I don't think it's really necessary, but it's good they are doing something. The trend in the US seems to predominantly be underpasses for the animals. The way I like to look at it is that if you are building a road over a stream you use a bridge. If you visualize animal movements and migrations as a stream, the same approach makes perfect sense.

And it seems to be working great for the black bears (and other animals) in North Carolina.

Underpasses keep wildlife on track : State and Regional News : Knoxville News Sentinel

If you are unaware of such things, then perhaps this a good chance to expand your mind a bit. :hihi:

Needless to say, the idea doesn't go over very well in Los Angeles where one of the busiest roadways in the world bisects urban national park land. Los Angelinos love to have a house "up in the hills", but get very nervous when wildlife visits.

But there are quite a few times during the year when the 405 freeway is disrupted by deer and coyotes crossing, or trying to cross the freeway. Admittedly this usually occurs in the very early morning hours when the traffic is not already moving at a crawl.

By Patrick McGreevy, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

October 10, 2007

SACRAMENTO -- Even in Los Angeles, where celebrities dress their pets in designer clothes, a proposal for a $455,000 animal path over the 405 Freeway has riled residents who say scarce transportation dollars should not be used to help deer and bobcats get around while humans remain stuck in endless traffic.

The cost could balloon to $1.4 million if environmentalists can persuade the city to extend the wildlife path, which would be part of an overpass for vehicles and pedestrians, beyond the freeway, officials said.

Graphic

Making the Sepulveda Pass critter-friendly

click to enlarge

The plan has split residents of wealthy Westside enclaves, where the impulse to be environmentally correct is clashing with frustration over the tortoise-like pace on area roadways.

Even some activists who have long supported green causes are ridiculing the idea of a special path on the Skirball Center Drive bridge so coyote and opossum can commute across the Sepulveda Pass.

"What are they going to do, have Doctor Dolittle standing there directing animals to use the bridge?" scoffed Ernest Frankel, a member of the Mountaingate Community Assn., a residents group.

Others, including biologist Paul Edelman of the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy, say that if the state is going to expand the 405 as planned, it has an obligation to help wildlife across open spaces sliced roughly in half by one of the nation's busiest freeways.

"In today's dollars, doing this to improve the quality of open space and solve a serious wildlife issue is a drop in the bucket," Edelman said. "If we want healthy wild animals in Griffith Park and other open spaces, this is a must."

Los Angeles news, California news - Los Angeles Times(requires free registration)

Yeah, people can get riled up all they want, the money is well spent imo. The cost of the structure pays for itself once a human fatality is avoided. The problem lies in making that connection which is otherwise speculative without solid evidence of the present. Fortunately, supportive data is accumulating and designs are improving. The evidence is overwhelming. Less animals use the roads if crossings are available. Less animals on the road = Less animal-vehicle deaths, both animal AND human.

The people of LA commuting along the 405, for the most part (in the most generalizing of ways), could probably care less about the wildlife along that dissecting corridor, but if that's the case then why not allow wildlife to pass by unseen. Out of sight, out of mind.

It's not exactly an environmental legacy mentality, but effective enough given the circumstances.