Science Forums

An article I found

IMAMONKEY!

I found this hilarious article about recess games played these years and the reaction of overprotective adults. Or rather, one man's reaction to the reaction of the overprotective adults. I think this should go in this section.

ESPN.com - Page2 - Play nice, kids

My question is this: Does anyone here agree with this guy? Or do you agree with the principal that banned dodgeball and tag from his school.

That and what are the social implications of the recent increase in overprotective parents not allowing their kids to simply be kids?

I think that principal is a complete idiot for not seeing the future implications his actions will bring. :)

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy,

IMAMONKEY!

You're asking this at a site filled with nerds who always got beat up at dodgeball and tag?

My kid hates dodgeball, and it was quite a surprise when her PE teacher said that unlike in elementary school, in middle school you can aim for the head. This is in a school district where half the parents are doctors and lawyers. The rule was recently changed.

I agree with at the very least putting limits on these games but not for "self-esteem" (a recently published survey of incoming freshmen says we've got a massive number of narcissitic, self-absorbed kids these days--something our own membership kinda bears out! :) ), the problem for me is that it *rewards* the *sociopaths* that are lurking everywhere in society, by letting them (and others) think that might-makes-right. I don't want to encourage these idiots: make them obey all sorts of restrictions so they end up on time-out or in the principal's office where they belong.

It seems to me that if anything, these games have *lost* the rules that were in place when I was a kid in order to "let the kids express themselves" and "get their anger out" which is stupid.

This is not so much an example of over-protective parents (something I have plenty of evidence for from *other* areas), but an marked loss in self-dicipline and responsibility both in parents and their kids.

Can you tell me why its a good idea to let kids hit eachother in the head with a dodgeball, or do a "dogpile" in tag? Do you want to pay the medical bills for me?

Sensible limits are in order,

Buffy

I think that young children (5 - 10) need to be able to play in an unstructured environment, to learn how to resolve differences without massive problems (do-over, anybody?). I think that older children should be given the opportunity to play some structured games (not forced into them though). We had a few games I enjoyed playing in gym at my high school, including dodge ball (but we were penalized for head shots, and used nerf balls), and yeah, there were some injuries, mostly twisted ankles (although one person actually broke her ankle - I've never seen anybody go so white so fast). I didn't enjoy gym, and I avoided it when possible, but I would have appreciated being given the chance to play some of those games.

Play seems to be more important than schooling on many levels, and I think it does need to be encouraged.