Science Forums

A driver question

sanctus

It's the first time I have to courage to post something here, because I think I don't know much about programming and computers and my ignorance is exactly the reason for which I write now.

I've got a really old PC, my graphic card is NVIDIA Riva 128. About a year ago I rebootd my computer and then passed ages to look for drivers, I openend my computer to see what graphic card I had and then I found a driver and everything worked fine. Now I wanted to play Deus EXand Trackmania and it didn't work, because my graphic card doesn't support directx 9. So I thought, I look for another drivver, I took one called NVIDIA riva 128/128ZX, and then I started DEUS EX, got the music, but the image wasn't there, there was a message on the screen saying "signal out of range". Therefore I changed back to the old driver but the problem remained, what should I do?

Thanks very much to anyone who knows.

Thanks Tormod, I was coming to the forum just to say that now I figured it out just by playing (I mean trying all the possible buttons without really knowing what to do). I just put the fréquency to optimal, do you suggest that it is better to start from 60Hz and then increase it until I find the best frequency?

My point is...yes, do NOT use the "optimal" setting until you have gone back and manually set the refresh rates and resolution.

In fact, you might want to get the latest drivers, completely reinstall your graphics card, install the new drivers, and take it from there. I guess your problem might be due to leftover files from a previous installation or an incomplete installation. You never know...

But it does not sound like you have a hardware problem (as in faulty card).