Science Forums

Xanax

Queso

Can someone please explain the psychoactive properties of xanax to me.

Recently, I've seen this drug leak out of the hospital and onto the streets.

When people take this stuff....They're like zombies. Their memories are totally wiped out and the next day they can't remember anything.

Of course, this is subjective, and is just an observation, but it's creepy.

What is this pill even prescribed for? It can't be good for you...

Can it?

Can someone please explain the psychoactive properties of xanax to me.

Recently, I've seen this drug leak out of the hospital and onto the streets.

When people take this stuff....They're like zombies. Their memories are totally wiped out and the next day they can't remember anything.

Of course, this is subjective, and is just an observation, but it's creepy.

What is this pill even prescribed for? It can't be good for you...

Can it?

See what you're capable of if you try?! :naughty:

Excellent thread topic. Clear, rational, thoughtful. Chemical.

Xanax belongs to a class of drugs called benzodiazepines. These drugs are very effective as sedatives and hypnotics. They're comprable to barbituates, however are a safer alternative.

Xanax specifically has been widely prescribed for people with panic disorders. As mentioned earlier, a general characteristic of benzodiazepines are that they are calming.

I suppose some find this property as a good recreational escape, because it's now used by people who want a high (or I guess it would be a low? you choose).

Results of abuse are generally rather unextraordinary. Alcohol however, can greatly increase it's negative effects.

Dependancies can occur rather quickly with this class of drugs.

Current Status: Schedule IV probably.

Doctors are always a good idea.

My friends and I while we were in college used to get truck loads of it from Mexico and bring it back to Austin. It's a party drug, and only extremely agitated and anxious people are prescribed it anymore.

Have you checked Erowid? That is a wealth of info, and is pretty trustworthy as well.

hahahaha, you are absurd.

thanks for the replies.

I think that the proper name for this drug is Alprazolam, and it is actually a triazolobenzodiazepine, that is, a benzodiazepine with a triazolo-ring attached to its structure, but I don’t think what Mercedes Benzene said earlier is true, for it is my understanding that it is NOT similair to other drugs in its category, for it has a different binding site.

What no-one else has mentioned so far, is that it regulates the GABAA subtype of the GABA receptor. The GABAA receptor is made up from 5 subunits out of a possible 19, and GABAA receptors made up of different combinations of subunits have different properties, different locations within the brain and importantly, different activities in regards to benzodiazepines.

The fact that it effects GABA means it probably will be as addictive and as dangerous as Heroin.

I’ll need to check with my Chemistry teacher, but I think that the way such drugs work is by binding to an α and a γ unit of a GABA receptors, and then causing an increase in the Chloride ion channel openings and therefore hyperpolarising the membrane, leading to sedatory and anxiolytic effects. Different benzodiazepines can have different actions for GABAA receptors made up of different collection of subunits, so benzodiazepines with high activity at the α1 are connected with sedation whereas those with higher affinity for GABAA receptors containing α2 and/or α3 subunits have greater anxiolytic activity.

It SHOULD be used to treat anxiety disorders, and panic disorders, but instead it gets abused along with other Barbiturates. I’m aware that were not supposed to explicitly discuss drugs, so I’ll just tell you how dangerous it is instead of explicitly saying how people abuse it: when crushed in water, it will not dissolve, potentially causing severe damage to arteries, and those that try mixing it with alcohol end up with a lethal combination of the two which often causes a fatal overdose. :rolleyes:

It's high time that the health services started switching over to better drugs in this class, such as Oxazepam (Serax), Flunitrazepam (Rohypnol) and Triazolam (Halcion) which are a lot less dangerous.

I took Xanax (alprazolam) everyday for 3 years just as prescribed for the panic attacks I developed while going thru Premed. I never felt or acted like a zombie or had any of the listed side effects. The amnesiaatic properties are usually seen with high dosages or in the elderly. The only thing it did for me was keep the intense anxiety down to a dull roar.

Unfortunately, I didn't know the dangers of coming off of it and cut it off cold turkey. 3 days later I went into life threatening seizures and spent 5 weeks in the hospital detoxing. After my experiences, I wouldn't exactly advocate it's use. I would caution people to only take it if prescribed. As far as pills go, Benzo's have been around a long time.

CNS agents of the 1,4 benzodiazepine class presumably exert their effects by binding at stereo specific receptors at several sites within the central nervous system. Their exact mechanism of action is unknown.

http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/download/uspi_xanax.pdf