Science Forums

Expanding Earth?

Turtle

Turtle,

what you are overlooking is

a) The current plate motion which we can measure is wholly inconsistent with Adam's proposed plate motion.

:confused: Through a combination of palaeomagnetism and stratigraphic comparison we can place the continents, or more precisely the plates, throughout geologic time and their positions are inconsistent with Adam's hypothesis.

c) A host of other coniderations (e.g. Benioff zones) invalidate Adam's idea.

On the Jovian satellite, the match up that Adams shows is quite genuine and unsurprising. The crustal ice (and it is ice, not silicate) has partially melted in the past, so that vast ice floes have moved around the surface. I am sure it was exactly this kind of match that led to the conventional hypothesis in the first place.

Just before I get involved in this, is there a fundamental difference between Adam's take on an expanding Earth, and Mark McCutcheon's 'Expansion Theory'? Is it not essentially the same thing?
I don't think so. Adams I think is saying that the expansion explains the movement of plates into their current positions, whereas McC says you can't perceive anything about expansion other than the "effect" of gravity....

Expansion bad: need to go for a jog,

Buffy

The other arguments aside, Earth is expanding. While an exact amount is elusive, scientist estimate that Earth currently aquires thousands of tons of space dust & debris every year. Unless we leak off an equal mass to space from the atmospheric gases, Earth is indeed expanding.

Doesn't matter that its a fraction of the mass either; small changes in chaotic systems tend fall into amplifying feedback loops. Butterfly effect & all that. :hihi:

On the quirky facts topic, Jay-qu posted that the moon is distancing itself from the Earth at a rate of 4cm per year. Couldn't this measurement be interpreted as indicating a shrinking Earth?

I would not make that interpretation, no. The Moon is also expanding by accretion of space material I may add. The standard theory has all the planets growing by accretion from the solar disk remember, with the asteroid belt either a failed planet or a planet destroyed by an impactor.

Just found a link on space dust & some of the ongoing research:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4021

The effects of space dust on the Earth are currently unknown, but hotly debated. Every year, about 40,000 tonnes of cosmic debris fall onto the Earth, much of it creating meteors.

The ESA mission Ulysses site:

http://www.esa.int/esaSC/120395_index_0_m.html

Science is always ammendable.:computer:

Thanks.

De nada.

How deep was the ocean when the earth was smaller and completely covered by land?

Bill

Keeping in mind I am playing something of the devil's advocate here, I'll give my undertanding of Adam's POV on that. I only saw him refer to 'shallow' seas & never any specific depth, although he refers to some regions I think such as Lake Bonneville. His claim is that these shallow seas drained off the land masses into the cracks to begin forming our current oceans.

Gedankenschon for everyones' interest.:cup: :singer: :secret:

In the past;

-There were very large life forms.

What do you think about less gravity equating in larger animals?

-The biblical 'great flood' is not feasable with the current size of the earth.

-im not sure what date the flood is estimated to have happened in the bible-

could a smaller earth explain its possibility?

- The ozone layer has been thinning.

Is it plausible the atmosphere may be thinning as the earth possibly expands?

-Giant grand canyons, and deep ocean trenches.

I have heard some ideas of how they came about. Although could it be that a massive pressure inside the earth expanding from the center outwards causes these details?

Just a few wild topics to think about and relate to the expanding/growing planetoid theory.

• 4 months later...

Neal Adams says..."The interior of the Earth, the core is filled with super-heated gas and plasma with no solids and gravity is inverted, cause no solids."

Since when did Newton fall into disgrace? If I recall, Newton proved with the calculus that gravity above the surface of a spherical mass varies inversely as the square of the distance of the radius. Below the surface, it varies inversely as the distance from the surface to the center of mass. At the center, the gravity=0. Inside of a spherical shell, the flux lines cancel out and gravity=0. There in no gravity "inversion" unless you want to call an extreemly small centripetal force due to the earth's rotation an inversion. Variations in density shouldn't matter. Where am I wrong?

Under that kind of pressure I would wonder whether or not anything could act in a gas or plasma form. It should still be a super heated super dense material. That may also be electrically charged, solid plasma? I dont know.

I have not read much about physics in the core of earth.