Science Forums

Movie of the week

Buffy

From a friend I received free passes to the sneak preview of a movie last night (It will be released in about 2 weeks).

Leonard Cohen: I'm your man

The film, quite simply, was astoundingly beautiful. A bit biodocumentary, but with music and wonderfully done. Both the depth and the breadth of the passion of everyone on this project was palpable. I found myself completely absorbed, the style, the tempo, the words.

I advise you watch this movie, especially if you enjoy other Sundance presentations. This recommendation goes to other eschelons if you've ever enjoyed or been curious about poetry, art, music, and passion. At least check out the trailor at the above linked site.

Cheers. :hihi:

:cup:

• 2 weeks later...
Leonard Cohen: I'm your man

The film, quite simply, was astoundingly beautiful. A bit biodocumentary, but with music and wonderfully done. Both the depth and the breadth of the passion of everyone on this project was palpable. I found myself completely absorbed, the style, the tempo, the words.

This came out this week for those of you who dig art and music.

Cheers. :)

• 3 months later...

"Flushed Away" is the latest Aardman Animation creation, although for Aardman fans, its a bit jarring because its CGI rather than Claymation, and it looks like the cut a few corners on the kinematics so its at times hard to watch. The rendering and attention to detail backgrounds however are top notch, and be sure to be looking at that backround for tidbits and inside jokes (its not Cars though!). But enough of the nerd angle.

What we really loved about this one was the girl-power angle. Hugh Jackman and Kate Winslet play eachothers archetype, with Roddy being a fretful, fearful, helpless, but loveable nitwit, and Rita being the uber competent, athletic, and hunky, er, cute entrepreneur who saves his tail and teaches him what's important in life. The conflict is slightly shop-worn--dictatorial Frog oppressing the denizens of the "underworld"--but there are lots of nice plot twists along the way.

Jean Reno is the scene stealer as the French "enforcer" for the Toad, Le Frog.

Its another example of how these animated films--while trying to stay inoffensive enough to keep it to kiddie standards (amazingly, even with the primary conceit of the plot, the "bathroom humor" is almost non-existent!)--have really become adult entertainment. There's nothing here that would cause an adult to roll their eyes.

The singing slugs are worth the price of admission. Sit through all the end credits.

Four stars. Two toilet flush pirouettes, squeeky clean sewers, one ominous floodgate, and one underwear exposing pants pull. Buffy sez, "check it out."

No no no It's a big jacuzzi... the largest model, :)

Buffy

Took Jenny to see Cars a few weeks back (yeah we're slow here up North) and it was a really good movie!

We also got to see Curious George a while back and it was REALLY not a good movie. I think Jenny fell asleep (she's almost 6).

I celebrated our new 32" flatscreen (big for our small living room) ;) with a rerun of the old Alien quadrilogy and I just love #1 and #4...

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, it's the holiday season again, so all of the songs and movies which reak of cheer and familial triumph are back. Growing up, my dad's two favorites were (the orginal) Miracle on 34th Street and White Christmas, so those two hold a definite place in my heart. I also like Frosty the Snowman and the cartoon version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Many of us, also, each year have that one movie that really puts into the spirit... that we must see to make it feel "right." For me, that movie is It's a Wonderful Life, with Jimmy Stewart. I love how they present it in such a way as to show that the absence of even just one (seemingly) insignificant individual changes the entire world.

However, I saw for the first time this year, after extreme pressure of the feminine variety and great reluctance on my part, The Polar Express http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3479019336804068670&q=polar+express&hl=en and absolutely loved it. I must say, it's one of the best holiday films I've seen in a very long time. It's new and fresh, exciting and fun, and definitely worth the watch. For all of you out there who appreciate CGI, you'll enjoy the film on a whole other level. :phones: