Photo
- - - - -

Do We Have Rights As Authors, To Make Complaint About "unethic" Journal Editors?

ethics rights&permissions aestethics

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 inverse

inverse

Questioning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 10:46 AM

I wonder , as authors ;whether we have rights to make complaints.(if you state somewhere, specify please where)

I have met a very rude editor (sure)

note please,now under this thread we only search about ethical issues/rights & permissions (not the correctness and/or the importance of any scientific material & personality)

Edited by inverse, 16 November 2019 - 10:53 AM.

#2 exchemist

exchemist

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:31 PM

I wonder , as authors ;whether we have rights to make complaints.(if you state somewhere, specify please where)

I have met a very rude editor (sure)

note please,now under this thread we only search about ethical issues/rights & permissions (not the correctness and/or the importance of any scientific material & personality)

Still whining about being hard done by, I see. 

It obviously never occurs to you that the fault may be with you, rather than everybody you come into contact with.  

#3 GAHD

GAHD

Eldritch Horror

• Administrators
  • 2724 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:19 PM

The only rights you have is the right to vote with your feet, and your wallet. ;)

Unless you're in a contractual NDA/Exclusivity situation.

#4 inverse

inverse

Questioning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:35 AM

The only rights you have is the right to vote with your feet, and your wallet. ;)

if I understood correctly,this idea should be inconvenient way or definitely "absence" in the scientific manner.

because, everything does not consist of "money". I am sure that if we believe and act in such a way,then this will cause absence as well as lack of quality.

but we can see that this happens (unfortunately).

anyway,we are checking the procedures only here. if we have any rights,then we would use it (normally).

Unless you're in a contractual NDA/Exclusivity situation.

not sure really about the nature of this statement.(NDA/Exclusivity?)

what do you mean,could you make more detailed explanation please?

Edited by inverse, 19 November 2019 - 04:46 AM.

#5 inverse

inverse

Questioning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:22 AM

a notation:

we have made a complaint via e-mail to the senior manager of the journal

but we would remind also here, that we do NOT complain from the rejection of manuscript.

because we are complying ethics.

but we really did not enjoy her some wordings (these are not relevant to publication of manuscript,there is no discussion with this).

anyway, the process is progressing.

I am sure that her that wordings were not in compliance of being a "good" scientist.

Edited by inverse, 19 November 2019 - 05:26 AM.

#6 sanctus

sanctus

Resident Diabolist

• Administrators
  • 4231 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:49 AM

The senior manager f the journal owes you nothing: that is just the harsh truth. Now he/she can decide to reply to you and look into it or can deny doing so or can want to and just postpone it (and then forget). Of course, from marketing perspective it would be great if (s)he replies , but is by no law forced to do so.

#7 inverse

inverse

Questioning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:10 AM

The senior manager f the journal owes you nothing: that is just the harsh truth. Now he/she can decide to reply to you and look into it or can deny doing so or can want to and just postpone it (and then forget). Of course, from marketing perspective it would be great if (s)he replies , but is by no law forced to do so.

hi sanctus,welcome.

we already always expect almost nothing. but again would learn our rights (what we have and could do)

there is one question but really I do not want to write here. if you are willing ,I can consult you.

but this is not directly relevant to this issue (also it is not a problem exacty, only a question or some questions)

I enjoy your personality sanctus,so if you are willing to respond in private,I can forward to you.

(hereby withing the content of this post,this thread can be assumed as closed)

many thanks

kind regards

Edited by inverse, 19 November 2019 - 06:18 AM.

#8 GAHD

GAHD

Eldritch Horror

• Administrators
  • 2724 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:41 PM

if I understood correctly,this idea should be inconvenient way or definitely "absence" in the scientific manner.

because, everything does not consist of "money". I am sure that if we believe and act in such a way,then this will cause absence as well as lack of quality.

but we can see that this happens (unfortunately).

anyway,we are checking the procedures only here. if we have any rights,then we would use it (normally).

not sure really about the nature of this statement.(NDA/Exclusivity?)

what do you mean,could you make more detailed explanation please?

You have no rights to things made by other people. If you bake a cake, does some random passer-by on the street have the right to come put salt in your cake mix?

NDA= Non Disclosure Agreement. If you work for a development firm often those are required contracts. Exclusive use of things developed with firm resources. There's usually an exclusive use or non competition clause thrown in there too, where people that quit cannot work in that field and compete for some period of time.

You might not LIKE that everything is money, but everything IS money.

#9 sanctus

sanctus

Resident Diabolist

• Administrators
  • 4231 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:35 AM

Well, you could always sue the person who put salt in your cake mix.

• GAHD likes this

#10 fahrquad

fahrquad

All I know is that I know nothing.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:42 PM

Your sole remedy is to complain to the senior/chief editor, but do not count on anything positive coming out of the exchange.  If you are a regular contributor and routinely have issues with this one editor then consider submitting elsewhere. 

:hammer:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ethics, rights&permissions, aestethics