hazelm

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1086 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:10 AM

.... and what does it do?

https://neuroscience...-reality-14590/

So, here I sit nightly trying (and failing) to demystify Todd E. Feinberg's and Jon M. Mallott's "Consciousness Demystified".  Not exactly failing.  I get their point but I get lost on their $10 words.  They didn't tell us it is a Ph.D. book.  I'd give you an example but their preface tells me in no uncertain terms that I may not, absolutely may not, reproduce so much as one word by any method whatsoever.  And here I have already reproduced their names and the title of their book.  I plead not guilty since what I've really done is publicize their book.  ( advertising?)

If anyone has read this book,  I'd appreciate some comments.  Their idea  is intriguing. 

To the purpose of this post,  here comes Donald Hoffman  with echoes of Mr. Feinberg and Mr. Mallott explaining his own theory of what this consciousness can do.  Actually the above article quotes Mr. Hoffman as it reviews his new book, "The Case Against Reality",  which isn't quite as good as a whole book but is more readable because he speaks the language of the "common person".  No Ph.D. science dictionary necessary. 

As for me, I wonder if all these men are one and the same, using various aliases.  Whatever their intent, they are on their way to  figuring out what consciousness is and what it does - an answer scientists have pondered for centuries - even if it really exists.   I may turn to "A Case Against Reality" next.

Edited by hazelm, 28 July 2019 - 07:16 AM.