Science Forums

What Is Consciousness?

hazelm

Like Ray I think it is inevitable that we will create a conscious mind within computers, it is a matter of collecting the proper data on neurons and their function, the problem is they are only using rat neurons, there is a level of complexity missing from that simulation dealing with the human brain versus the rat brain, the creation of a brain is as much about the neuron's states as it is about the pattern that those neurons create together without either of those you will not succeed in creating a artificial brain. The complexity of the pattern determines the intelligence and storage of the brain along with the reactions actually determined from those patterns from stimuli sources of the pattern. The reactions from a rat's brain would be vastly different than that from a human brain because of the complexity of the neuron's that, that stimuli creates.

But you can turn a conscious being into a computer. Can you not? Which is why I think they are slowly getting us used to the idea of everything being chipped. And guess what to make things even easier we can chip you also. And guess what the chip comes with unlimited knowledge where you can go right on google through your brain. I can just see the sales pitch now. You won't even have to carry a phone around anymore. It will be right in you.

But you can turn a conscious being into a computer. Can you not? Which is why I think they are slowly getting us used to the idea of everything being chipped. And guess what to make things even easier we can chip you also. And guess what the chip comes with unlimited knowledge where you can go right on google through your brain. I can just see the sales pitch now. You won't even have to carry a phone around anymore. It will be right in you.

Of course just as a computer image can contain every detail of a MRI scan then a computer could contain all the information within a 3-d picture of a brain including the electrical charges in a 4-d picture. Chipping is a dangerous concept it goes back with the ethical issues of the Mind-Machine Interface, they could create there own army of demons.... if used maliciously such that they could literally create something like the Borg from Star Trek with a chip that strips away control over your own body's movements to a computer or another person.

Edited by VictorMedvil

Of course just as a computer image can contain every detail of a MRI scan then a computer could contain all the information within a 3-d picture of a brain including the electrical charges in a 4-d picture. Chipping is a dangerous concept it goes back with the ethical issues of the Mind-Machine Interface, they could create there own army of demons.... if used maliciously such that they could literally create something like the Borg from Star Trek with a chip that strips away control over your own body's movements to a computer or another person.

Sorry I can't watch the video at the moment because I am at work and it is blocked. What is it about?

I thought you were into Transhumanism though so wouldn't you want to get chipped to be a part of the program? I thought you would be one of the first ones to sign up. I am sure not in not to long every military member will have to get some sort of chip in them.

Sorry I can't watch the video at the moment because I am at work and it is blocked. What is it about?

I thought you were into Transhumanism though so wouldn't you want to get chipped to be a part of the program? I thought you would be one of the first ones to sign up. I am sure not in not to long every military member will have to get some sort of chip in them.

No, I would be the first person to sign up for Nano-technological augmentation or Biological augmentation, I don't like the idea of becoming a computer, I think that we should modify our current forms. The video is about someone controlling someone else's arm using a Mind-Machine Interface against the other person's will. In my opinion anything dealing with a Mind-Machine Interface is completely off the table for me. There are few technologies that scare me, but the Mind-Machine Interface is one of them not something I want in my body.

Edited by VictorMedvil

No, I would be the first person to sign up for Nano-technological augmentation or Biological augmentation, I don't like the idea of becoming a computer, I think that we should modify our current forms. The video is about someone controlling someone else's arm using a Mind-Machine Interface against the other person's will. In my opinion anything dealing with a Mind-Machine Interface is completely off the table for me.

But isn't Nano-technology chips but just virtually impossible to see because they are so tiny? So you mean Biological augmentation kind of like a cyborg? Something like the Robo-cop or the Terminator?

I agree and the chip thing is a very bad idea. But I can just see these younger kids all getting them just like they run each other over for a new IPhone every year. Although the question is how would they continue to make money on the chip? Maybe every year or 2 you would pay for an upgrade. Kind of makes you wonder why the big push from 4G to 5G. As if are brains aren't already fried enough already.lol!

But isn't Nano-technology chips but just virtually impossible to see because they are so tiny? So you mean Biological augmentation kind of like a cyborg? Something like the Robo-cop or the Terminator?

I agree and the chip thing is a very bad idea. But I can just see these younger kids all getting them just like they run each other over for a new IPhone every year. Although the question is how would they continue to make money on the chip? Maybe every year or 2 you would pay for an upgrade. Kind of makes you wonder why the big push from 4G to 5G. As if are brains aren't already fried enough already.lol!

I mean Genetic Engineering and Nano-machines when I say Biological Augmentation and Nano-technological Augmentation because the odds of a hacker gaining control of such things is very small, nothing that connects to the central nervous system basically.

Edited by VictorMedvil

I mean Genetic Engineering and Nano-machines when I say Biological Augmentation and Nano-technological Augmentation because the odd of a hacker gaining control of such things is very small, nothing that connects to the central nervous system basically.

So when you say Genetic Engineering does that mean splicing your genes and DNA with maybe a Hawk for flying, A Cheetah for speed and a Lion for strength? So you could fly like a hawk have a speed of a Cheetah and the strength of a Lion all with human intelligence. I heard somewhere that they did those types of things in Atlantis and they were engineering all kinds of monsters with that combination. And they could some how harness your consciousness and place it in one of these creations. Do you think you could be possibly remembering a past life? Hence just look at Thoth for a weird combination.lol!

So when you say Genetic Engineering does that mean splicing your genes and DNA with maybe a Hawk for flying, A Cheetah for speed and a Lion for strength? So you could fly like a hawk have a speed of a Cheetah and the strength of a Lion all with human intelligence. I heard somewhere that they did those types of things in Atlantis and they were engineering all kinds of monsters with that combination. And they could some how harness your consciousness and place it in one of these creations. Do you think you could be possibly remembering a past life? Hence just look at Thoth for a weird combination.lol!

Of course, whatever genes that add to the human body desirable traits(http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/35250-phage-augmented-white-blood-cells/,http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/36033-the-furry-metamorphic-vector/, and http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/36256-longevity-vaccine/).

Edited by VictorMedvil

After a couple of drinks and sleeping on the content of the links we posted. There are various ways to rationalize how people can appear to acquire fragmented memories from dead people. Obviously the people believe what they claim, and assuming they were not actors. I noted the Irish lady telling part of a story and then the old fella filling in the rest of the story. That might be like a con. But when you take into account, her mothers statements, the old fellas, and her own. Assuming they are not actors, which in this day and age of bullshit media stories promoted as fact is a strong possibility. It leaves the ideas I was kicking about for amusement, ref entanglement to another dimension :) I could not see how memories could be passed, not even fragmented memories, between brains, so opted for essence  :beer-fresh:  I think you may have hit on the only philosophical solution. :sherlock: Which is memories are not stored in the brain, they are stored in space. What we perceive as local memory effects caused by us are in fact non local they are not stored in our skulls directly. Space retains a memory of what has passed, not unlike emergent gravity :) Space may retain memories of every neuron flashing in our skull, are those flashes driven by a connection with space, or are they driven by the brain. In this case the body would be just a vessel for a soul, which moves from A to B like Hinduism, Buddhism, etc through transmigration, reincarnation etc It might not experience time outside of a body :innocent:

I will read your link later, it looked heavily philosophical :out: and I need a coffee, before reading anything like that.

Exactly! Akashic Records.... It seems when we come down to this 3D dense physical world there is a Veil and it is hard to tap into the Akashic records. But it can be done with practice through meditation. That is one way you can find out your past lives and probably even future lives because time is not linear. Nor does time really exist.

I am pretty sure someone must have thought of this already, but could it be that information in space controls the neurons of the brain, rather than our brains generating electrical signals to cause neurons to flash which we can detect. This might be a serious possibility, what does anyone think. Extending it any living thing with neurons flashing on and off, might also be responding in the same way, including bacteria.

Entanglement effects are being seriously considered a serious possibility for the additional gravitational effects attributed to dark matter. Why not information held on a membrane affecting absolutely affecting everything. 

Taking into account the now proven non locality effects of the double slit experiment. Future measuring events affecting past events between entangled photons. There could be a lot more to this than meets the eye, or perhaps it already has, I just dont know about it yet.   :unsure:  :unsure:

Perhaps local physics is coming to end, should we be thinking everything is governed by non local effects at the fundamental level. Emergent Gravity, Emergent Time. Emergent Inertia maybe. how is SED linked at all. ****! now I have confused myself.

I completely disagree with this there is no way that entanglement effect have any effect on neurons nor the information of space, it is governed by electromagnetism. Think about the requirements for entanglement none of those requirements are met in the human brain or in the neurons. As for the information of space your neurons are made up of matter it does not matter what gravitational effects happen or what happens in the space around the neurons the charges will still behave the same in the brain.

Edited by VictorMedvil

I am pretty sure someone must have thought of this already, but could it be that information in space controls the neurons of the brain, rather than our brains generating electrical signals to cause neurons to flash which we can detect. This might be a serious possibility, what does anyone think. Extending it any living thing with neurons flashing on and off, might also be responding in the same way, including bacteria.

Entanglement effects are being seriously considered a serious possibility for the additional gravitational effects attributed to dark matter. Why not information held on a membrane affecting absolutely affecting everything. 

Taking into account the now proven non locality effects of the double slit experiment. Future measuring events affecting past events between entangled photons. There could be a lot more to this than meets the eye, or perhaps it already has, I just dont know about it yet.   :unsure:  :unsure:

Perhaps local physics is coming to end, should we be thinking everything is governed by non local effects at the fundamental level. Emergent Gravity, Emergent Time. Emergent Inertia maybe. how is SED linked at all. ****! now I have confused myself.

Well I think looking at what the ancients had to say is very enlightening:

M. Anant Bhakti: “Hiranyagarbha is variously translated as the Golden Egg, Golden Embryo … also called ‘Sutratma,’ the string-shaped consciousness (Atman) … Sutras mean ‘strings’ … accurate to regard sutras as strings with encoded program. According to Sanskrit scholars, sutra literally means ‘that which generates something.’ … Hiranyagarbha or the string field … that, along with consciousness, pervades the universe is also called VYOMA (ether).”

https://www.ancient-origins.net/opinion/colony-earth-science-vedas-part-1-00568

I think what that is saying the whole universe is conscious and consciousness. When we come down to the earth we are like a drop of water leaving the ocean. We lose a bit of connection but we are still consciousness..

I completely disagree with this there is no way that entanglement effect have any effect on neurons nor the information of space, it is governed by electromagnetism. Think about the requirements for entanglement none of those requirements are met in the human brain or in the neurons. As for the information of space your neurons are made up of matter it does not matter what gravitational effects happen or what happens in the space around the neurons the charges will still behave the same in the brain.

Let me ask you this. Does the internet still exist without a computer? Does electric still exist without a light bulb? Just ponder on that for a little.

Let me ask you this. Does the internet still exist without a computer? Does electric still exist without a light bulb? Just ponder on that for a little.

No, the internet does not exist without computers as it is hosted on many computers without a computer there would be no internet. As for electric without a light bulb, electric would still be there just that the device that turns it into light would be missing.

Edited by VictorMedvil

Careful, because some take non locality as meaning something local is not happening, when really I am in the Einstein camp, or any deterministic camp, non locality is just a misunderstanding or incompleteness to the model of quantum mechanics - it will weave space together so I agree, there is an underlying relationship, but in essence this relationship can be simplified to the dynamics of the system, just as dark matter can be attributed to the local dynamics of the typical spiral galaxy.