Science Forums

Hypography

hazelm

Hypography - I know what it means in math but that's all Google or Bing can come up with.  Even Oxford doesn't have it.  Please explain the meaning of "hypography", especially in relation to a forum.  I can't let go of it. :-) Thank you.  hazelm

The definition is on our main page.

A combination of "hyperlink" and "bibliography" - ie, a list of links to electronic documents. Comparable to discography and bibliography, but not cartography

I've never seen a main page. If I may say so, as a portmanteau word of hyperlink and bibliography, the meaning of hyper (=above, Latin super) has been corrupted to hypo (=below, Latin sub). Hypergraphy would have been the natural formation.

I've never seen a main page. If I may say so, as a portmanteau word of hyperlink and bibliography, the meaning of hyper (=above, Latin super) has been corrupted to hypo (=below, Latin sub). Hypergraphy would have been the natural formation.

The similarity of hyper- and hypo- is an unfortunate source of confusion and misapplication in many contexts. Most people, I suspect, have no idea they are opposites. 

(I have a somewhat similar problem with my pronounciation on "dessus" and "dessous" in French.)

Edited by exchemist

The similarity of hyper- and hypo- is an unfortunate source of confusion and misapplication in many contexts. Most people, I suspect, have no idea they are opposites. 

Yes, particularly in medical expressions, such as hyperthermia and hypothermia; hypertension and hypotension. Importance differences methinks.

Erhm, the 'main page' is what is displayed for the address www.scienceforums.com. Scroll down a bit and look in the right column. Let's not try and corrupt fun. ;)