• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wiseshopper

wiseshopper

Thinking

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:57 AM

In a business like ours, data is important to minimize our energy use and consumption. We are focusing on the benefits of becoming energy efficient. As a growing company, we want to know about other energy savings opportunities and platforms to assist us with improvements and the maintenance schedule of our operation. In your own business, how do you reduce your energy consumption at the same time minimize risk and increase your returns? I want to learn about other solutions?

Edited by wiseshopper, 15 February 2017 - 02:06 AM.

#2 ToryRodgers

ToryRodgers

Thinking

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:24 AM

Right now I don't have a business of my own but in the company that I work with we have a system that organizes our energy consumption. The report generated by this system usually helps us in crafting data driven evaluations on where and how to save energy costs. Hope that would help.

#3 Farming guy

Farming guy

Understanding

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:42 PM

We are big readers in my family, and we read several trade publications, and there is always plenty of information out there about new developments.  Often when our equipment wears out, we use that as an opportunity to upgrade our efficiency.  For example, several yeas ago we replaced our vacuum pump that ran at full speed and maintained the appropriate vacuum level by letting air in a valve set manually with a variable speed drive that maintains vacuum by electronic sensors and control.  It was a technology that had previously been unavailable, but was a proven technology when the old pump failed, and it cut our electric bill in half.  Likewise with our water heater.  When our old tank blew out, we purchased on demand water heaters and cut our propane use by over 30%.  

Sometimes we are early users of newer technologies, but never first.  We like to give the manufactures time to work out the bugs and bring costs down.

#4 wiseshopper

wiseshopper

Thinking

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for the responses. Actually the being energy efficient as an individual is tough, but it is tougher if it is a group. There are so many perspective and sometime, its difficult to convince people. Anyway, enough with my sentiments.

There are companies whom we have contacted to assist us with this project and they are very much willing to set up the system for us. They discussed about energy management system, energy efficiency portfolios and benchamarking. The thing though is, we are contemplating because of the cost involved.