Science Forums

Can All People On The Planet Become American Conservatives?

Mariel33

What about the label of Republican?

LOL!!  There are many people who have chosen the Republican label for themselves, and many have different views from each other on many issues, and definitions of "conservatism".  In my experience from conversations with a lot of different people over the years, peoples opinions often differ even from their own self chosen labels.

If people would learn to listen to each other without the labels, most would find more points of agreement than they thought possible, but the labels keep them from hearing each other.

LOL!!  There are many people who have chosen the Republican label for themselves, and many have different views from each other on many issues, and definitions of "conservatism".  In my experience from conversations with a lot of different people over the years, peoples opinions often differ even from their own self chosen labels.

If people would learn to listen to each other without the labels, most would find more points of agreement than they thought possible, but the labels keep them from hearing each other.

Perhaps the answer is that nations obstruct people from hearing all of one another, and so all reasons for nations should be ended.

Well, it isn't just nations.  There is profit to be made out of people being outraged by each other.  Just look at all the "click bait" when you do a web search, or read an article online.

If all the people who stand to gain from click-bait were to be asked by the UN what their identity is, do you think this would help efforts to allow all people to have a routine they're happy with?

Edited by Mariel33

• 5 weeks later...

I think the primary criteria to becoming an American Conservative is being an American citizen (natural born or naturalized) and having conservative values (i.e. a big stick up your arse).  I have identified as independent for the last 20 or so years.  I vote for Republican, Democrat, Green, Independent, etc... depending on the candidate and his/her stated values.  Neither major party currently speaks to my values, nor has any since the Nixon re-election in 1972 (not that I was old enough then to vote)(jeez, I am getting old)(turned 56 a week ago)(aren't parenthesize a convenient way to add partial thoughts that are not worthy of their own post?) .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1972