Science Forums

Post A Cool Picture

Lancewen

Okay? How does a game end up like this?

It can't, for two reasons.

1) White has nine queens and two bishops of the same color, requiring eight promotions for the queens and one for the bishop. There are only eight pawns.

2) There is no way to arrange the pieces on the board without having forced a stalemate or checkmate before the final move.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this picture but have no idea what type of fish this is.

It appears to be a Synchiropus splendidus, or Mandarin fish. I found this by doing a google image search.

1) Right click on the image you want to search for, and select "Copy image URL"

2) Go to http://www.images.google.com, and at the end of the entry field where you would normally type in search text, click on the camera icon to search by image.

3) Right click and paste the image URL, and click search.

Not sure what kind of software google uses to accomplish this, and I don't even remember where I learned about this feature, but it makes finding matches to specific images very easy.

It appears to be a Synchiropus splendidus, or Mandarin fish. I found this by doing a google image search.

1) Right click on the image you want to search for, and select "Copy image URL"

2) Go to http://www.images.google.com, and at the end of the entry field where you would normally type in search text, click on the camera icon to search by image.

3) Right click and paste the image URL, and click search.

Not sure what kind of software google uses to accomplish this, and I don't even remember where I learned about this feature, but it makes finding matches to specific images very easy.

That was very cool. I've heard about image searches, but had no idea it was as easy as you just made it. Thank you very much.

a pair of unusual -and cool- life forms. the insect is actually a fly, not a bee. it is called a syrphid fly and belongs to the Family Syrphidae. the flower is western yellow wood sorel, Oxalis suksdorfii. the plant is rare in the state of Washington and carries a state ranking of Sensitive. both arrived in my garden as volunteers. :photos:

a pair of unusual -and cool- life forms. the insect is actually a fly, not a bee. it is called a syrphid fly and belongs to the Family Syrphidae. the flower is western yellow wood sorel, Oxalis suksdorfii. the plant is rare in the state of Washington and carries a state ranking of Sensitive. both arrived in my garden as volunteers. :photos:

When you say they both arrived in your garden, it makes me think you took that picture yourself. If so, it looks like work a professional photographer might have done.

When you say they both arrived in your garden, it makes me think you took that picture yourself. If so, it looks like work a professional photographer might have done.

i did take the photo, yes. thanks for the compliment. :) while i did, many years ago, have photos on file with a stock agency, i never sold any so at best i'm an accomplished amateur. unless i specify otherwise i will only post my own photos to your cool thread. say whiskey! :photos:

this image i made ~20 years ago. it is a multiple exposure of a single stream of water full of light & illustrates the principal of complete internal reflection. following plans in an old encyclopedia i built what was called a "fairy fountain" to trap the light & i designed and built a special mount to rotate the camera around the axis of the lens. shot with a nikon 35mm SLR.

Edited by Turtle