Science Forums

Post A Cool Picture

Lancewen

A color-coded extreme ultraviolet image of the sun's disk shows a visually spectacular flare being thrown out on April 16. The flare ejected an outburst of electrically charged particles that was not directed toward Earth, but instead toward several spacecraft — including NASA's STEREO-B probe, the Spitzer Space Telescope and the Mars Science Laboratory.

I don't know who the photographer of this picture is, but this shot impresses me every time I see it.

I did a little searching around and found this picture on a site that requires a translation.

http://silakanterpesona.blogspot.com/2010_10_01_archive.html#7493391465402620958

Edited by arKane

Know what I saw last night?

The night sky was superlative this night as I stood beside my vehicle allowing it to run for a few minutes before I headed in to work, the time being 12:30 a.m. A gossamer veil of northern lights subtly illuminated the clearing and I could just make the outline of the mountains in the distance and the tall pines 100 yards away. The temperature was already below freezing and forecast to drop a few more degrees yet and the stars glowed brightly against the moonless sky.

I was facing to the east when a movement caught my eye and I fixed my gaze upon a bright spot in motion at nine o'clock on the horizon. A brilliant comet with a wide streaming tail was arching toward the earth as if caught in slow motion. It seemed to take about three seconds to complete it's journey before vanishing soundlessly below the horizon. I glanced at my wristwatch and in the reflection of the taillights of the car, I noted that it was 12:32 a.m. I would have to do a search on-line in the morning to see what I might learn.

A quick search leads me to believe that I witnessed a 'fireball' of the Lyrid meteor shower that happens every year around this time. Weather conditions were absolutely optimum for viewing and my departure schedule coincided with the peak meteor activity. Many times I have been aware of the timing of forecast meteor schedules and scanned the skies in vain, most often hampered by inclement weather. Last night, I had no expectations and the viewing was all the more special for being totally unexpected.

Ned Potter

ABC World News

Did you see it?

If the visibility was clear from your location after midnight Saturday night and if the Lyrid meteor shower of 2012 is good to you, you were able to see the sky falling.

Every year at this time, the Earth passes through the orbit of an old comet called Thatcher, and the result is a meteor shower -- shooting stars, usually about 10 to 20 per hour, streaking across the night sky as debris from the comet enters the Earth's atmosphere and burns up.

The comet is far away from us now; Thatcher orbits the sun once every 415 years in a long, elliptical orbit. But debris from it has spread out along its path, mostly pieces of dust or rock smaller than grains of sand. As they come slicing into the upper atmosphere, at speeds of more than 100,000 mph, they burn up 50 to 70 miles over our heads. It is a quiet, vivid way for them to end.

The Lyrids are one of the weaker annual meteor showers (most skywatchers prefer the Perseids in August or the Geminids in December), but this year the Lyrids coincide with a new moon.

"Typical Lyrids are about as bright as the stars of the Big Dipper," said Bill Cooke, who heads NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office at the Marshall Space Flight Center in Alabama. "And it's not unusual to see one or two fireballs when the shower peaks." So-called fireballs happen if an unusually large piece of debris makes it into the lower atmosphere, breaking up -- sometimes audibly -- at altitudes of less than 20 miles from Earth.

In general, there are more shooting stars in the morning hours because the morning side of the Earth faces forward as we orbit the sun, so it's less shielded. While the shower actually peaks Sunday morning, meteors are often spotted several nights before and after.

The 'shooting star' that I saw looked very much like this image for scale and brightness.

(Note: No photo credit that I can find to give the photographer their due.)

Know what I saw last night?

The night sky was superlative this night as I stood beside my vehicle allowing it to run for a few minutes before I headed in to work, the time being 12:30 a.m. A gossamer veil of northern lights subtly illuminated the clearing and I could just make the outline of the mountains in the distance and the tall pines 100 yards away. The temperature was already below freezing and forecast to drop a few more degrees yet and the stars glowed brightly against the moonless sky.

I was facing to the east when a movement caught my eye and I fixed my gaze upon a bright spot in motion at nine o'clock on the horizon. A brilliant comet with a wide streaming tail was arching toward the earth as if caught in slow motion. It seemed to take about three seconds to complete it's journey before vanishing soundlessly below the horizon. I glanced at my wristwatch and in the reflection of the taillights of the car, I noted that it was 12:32 a.m. I would have to do a search on-line in the morning to see what I might learn.

A quick search leads me to believe that I witnessed a 'fireball' of the Lyrid meteor shower that happens every year around this time. Weather conditions were absolutely optimum for viewing and my departure schedule coincided with the peak meteor activity. Many times I have been aware of the timing of forecast meteor schedules and scanned the skies in vain, most often hampered by inclement weather. Last night, I had no expectations and the viewing was all the more special for being totally unexpected.

The 'shooting star' that I saw looked very much like this image for scale and brightness.

This reminded me that I received a NASA news update about this meteor shower. The link below includes an article and a cool video.

NASA Science News for April 18, 2012 Astronomers and astronauts are joining forces for an unusual astrophotography experiment during the peak of the Lyrid meteor shower on April 21st.

FULL STORY: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2012/18apr_lyrids/

I don't know who the photographer of this picture is, but this shot impresses me every time I see it.

remove

[/img]

it is a violation of copyright law and our forum rules to post these images without linking to the source and/or securing and posting permission from the photographers who took them. comments like "i couldn't find it" or "i don't know who took it" do not excuse the use. you must secure permission(s) for the images you have posted that have no such authorization, or you must remove them.

Good morning Turtle.

My understanding to date has been that if a photo is put out in the general public forum without photo credit or notice that copyright may apply, that this makes it fair game for general viewing and redistribution, although it may come under scrutiny if used for commercial purposes.

I am new to this site and I appreciate your bringing this matter to my attention. On several other forums that I attend, anything that I have posted has never drawn a criticism.

Would merely posting a link have satisfied your concern? Here is the page that I borrowed the photo from for your scrutiny. http://boingboing.net/2010/08/12/to-do-tonight-best-p.html

I arrived at this page by doing a search for 'meteor images'. https://www.google.ca/search?q=meteor+images&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=6R3&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsu&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wY-VT_69GIWziQKx6oDpDw&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1600&bih=728&sei=xY-VT7CSKM_KiQL14ujxDw

If you don't mind, I believe I shall wait for a Moderator's opinion on the matter because I am somewhat confused by various interpretations of this matter. :unsure:

Good morning Turtle.

My understanding to date has been that if a photo is put out in the general public forum without photo credit or notice that copyright may apply, that this makes it fair game for general viewing and redistribution, although it may come under scrutiny if used for commercial purposes.

I am new to this site and I appreciate your bringing this matter to my attention. On several other forums that I attend, anything that I have posted has never drawn a criticism.

Would merely posting a link have satisfied your concern? Here is the page that I borrowed the photo from for your scrutiny. http://boingboing.net/2010/08/12/to-do-tonight-best-p.html

I arrived at this page by doing a search for 'meteor images'. https://www.google.ca/search?q=meteor+images&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=6R3&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsu&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wY-VT_69GIWziQKx6oDpDw&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1600&bih=728&sei=xY-VT7CSKM_KiQL14ujxDw

If you don't mind, I believe I shall wait for a Moderator's opinion on the matter because I am somewhat confused by various interpretations of this matter. :unsure:

good morning. :smilingsun:

:thumbs_up yes; that link is just what we need. :agree: if you look at the bottom of the article there is a copyright note that appears to grant permission to repost as well as linking to the photographer's flickr account where there are more meteor shots.

To do tonight @boingboing.net

...Some rights reserved by Navicore

Some rights reserved:Creative Commons Notice

by Navicore: Navicore's photostream

the staff is reviewing the matter and will respond as needed. thanks for your prompt attention to this. :)

nice shot of the colt by-the-by. :photos:

Edited by Turtle

With the forbearance of arKane, here is a picture that I took of two of my former horses taking shelter under a spruce tree during a mid-summer shower a few years ago. Charlie, the red mare, is the dominant of the pair and she has claimed the right to position herself best under what little protection the sparse tree offers. Chellum, her pen mate, has opted to use Charlie as shelter by tucking her head under the neck and chest, thereby keeping the rain out of her face and ears. Horses far prefer to be out of doors unless the weather is dreadfully inclement. Our horses stay out in all weather utilizing natural shelter and the run-in sheds we have. I also have winter and rain blankets for my herd but have not needed to deploy them in several seasons now. The Yukon is a semi-arid climate and we do not receive the prolific precipitation of many areas that are closer to the coast.

Rainbow%2520horses.jpg

I work graveyard shift at a retail grocery store and one night I dashed out on break to snap this picture. Despite the 'noise' of the raindrops in the image, I enjoy the reflection of the colored light off the wet pavement. We do not often get these kind of conditions in the Yukon.

Rainy%2520nights.jpg

it is a violation of copyright law and our forum rules to post these images without linking to the source and/or securing and posting permission from the photographers who took them. comments like "i couldn't find it" or "i don't know who took it" do not excuse the use. you must secure permission(s) for the images you have posted that have no such authorization, or you must remove them.

I made an edit to the photo, it will help if you have a built in translator if you want to read it at the posted site.

I made an edit to the photo, it will help if you have a built in translator if you want to read it at the posted site.

:thumbs_up it's a start in the right direction. :agree: by all means follow up and make sure you have permission to use the image. also please check your other images with the same diligence. :sherlock: if you cannot assure permission, you really should take them down.

as i mentioned, i was for a time a "professional photographer" with a stock agency. it ended badly with me threatening legal action because they refused to say whether they had sold any of my images or not. it took months for me to get them to return my slides. as a now only accomplished amateur, i would be more than a little cheesed off to discover my images being used without attribution or my permission.

thanks for your cooperation arKane. :)

Edited by Turtle

:thumbs_up it's a start in the right direction. :agree: by all means follow up and make sure you have permission to use the image. also please check your other images with the same diligence. :sherlock: if you cannot assure permission, you really should take them down.

as i mentioned, i was for a time a "professional photographer" with a stock agency. it ended badly with me threatening legal action because they refused to say whether they had sold any of my images or not. it took months for me to get them to return my slides. as a now only accomplished amateur, i would be more than a little cheesed off to discover my images being used without attribution or my permission.

thanks for your cooperation arKane. :)

I didn't get that photo from that web site. I download many thousands of photos and pictures from the news groups in bulk and most of them don't come with the name of the photographer. It is still my position that these pictures are considered public domain and I am still waiting on a ruling. However, per your request I will try to provide the ownership info whenever I can. But If I have an outstanding picture that I want to share and can't find any info, I still want to be able to share it.