Science Forums

Post A Cool Picture

Lancewen

Very nice photographs, Moontanman. I'm always interested in images of things that don't grow here as I tend to stick close to home and may never view them in person.

Double rainbows are rather rare in this semi-arid climate and I was fortunate to be in the yard with a camera in hand to get visual proof that I do indeed live under a double rainbow. :smilingsun:

B0000006.jpg

I didn't get that photo from that web site. I download many thousands of photos and pictures from the news groups in bulk and most of them don't come with the name of the photographer. It is still my position that these pictures are considered public domain and I am still waiting on a ruling. However, per your request I will try to provide the ownership info whenever I can. But If I have an outstanding picture that I want to share and can't find any info, I still want to be able to share it.

what you want is no protection from the law, let alone this site's liability for hosting your violations.

THE SEVEN DEADLY MYTHS OF INTERNET COPYRIGHT

AN EXCELLENT RULE OF THUMB

If you do not have specific permission (preferably written!) from the owner of a photo, you cannot legally display it on a website, post it to the Usenet, copy it, send it around by Email or other means, make photos derived from it, sell it, or otherwise exploit it.

[please] read the entire article at the link as i have quoted just a small portion. my habit of doing this is also a consequence of copyright law, which regardless of what i want to do, i make every effort to follow. if you doubt the veracity of my source, do your own search for copyright law regarding images on the internet. my bringing this to your attention is more than simply what i want to do; it is the law.

what you want is no protection from the law, let alone this site's liability for hosting your violations.

THE SEVEN DEADLY MYTHS OF INTERNET COPYRIGHT

[please] read the entire article at the link as i have quoted just a small portion. my habit of doing this is also a consequence of copyright law, which regardless of what i want to do, i make every effort to follow. if you doubt the veracity of my source, do your own search for copyright law regarding images on the internet. my bringing this to your attention is more than simply what i want to do; it is the law.

You've made your point well. I did read the Info you posted and will post only pictures I can provide credit for.

We live in a rural subdivision 14 miles east of Whitehorse surrounded by some fairly decent hills and mixed forest. During the summer months, the moose and caribou stay to the high plateaus above treeline but in the winter the deep snows push them down to the river valley. When spring is late in coming, forage is scarce and the moose will come right into the yard and poke through the compost pile and the hay shed.

Moose are browsers, not grazers, and the timothy/brome hay that I feed the horses is not their first choice but it keeps their belly from touching their backbone and I do not mind that they take a portion. After all, it is I who have moved into their habitat in all fair consideration. When I feed in the dark, I wear a headlamp and carry the hay fork with me between hay-sheds. The horses usually snort to alert me if the moose are nearby, yet they became quite habituated to their presence and the cow and her two calves would just amble from one shed to the other to afford me passage to feed the horses.

My hubby took this photo one morning, capturing all three of the moose in one of the hay sheds having their breakfast.

IMG_0130.jpg

We live in a rural subdivision 14 miles east of Whitehorse surrounded by some fairly decent hills and mixed forest. During the summer months, the moose and caribou stay to the high plateaus above treeline but in the winter the deep snows push them down to the river valley. When spring is late in coming, forage is scarce and the moose will come right into the yard and poke through the compost pile and the hay shed.

Moose are browsers, not grazers, and the timothy/brome hay that I feed the horses is not their first choice but it keeps their belly from touching their backbone and I do not mind that they take a portion. After all, it is I who have moved into their habitat in all fair consideration. When I feed in the dark, I wear a headlamp and carry the hay fork with me between hay-sheds. The horses usually snort to alert me if the moose are nearby, yet they became quite habituated to their presence and the cow and her two calves would just amble from one shed to the other to afford me passage to feed the horses.

My hubby took this photo one morning, capturing all three of the moose in one of the hay sheds having their breakfast.

Have you ever eaten moose before? Looks like easy meat on the hoof (Just kidding). Give your husband a kudo for the great picture.

Have you ever eaten moose before? Looks like easy meat on the hoof (Just kidding). Give your husband a kudo for the great picture.

As the kids say, "Like.....yeah....", lol....

Living in a remote northern town when I was growing up, we were pretty much raised on moose and caribou. Only male moose are harvested in the Yukon with the season being August 1st to October 31st within specified hunting zones. http://www.env.gov.y...regs2011_en.pdf

Hubby was raised in the city and does not care for wild meat so the population has been safe from predation by me for many years now. It is a very good meat, prepared in pretty much the same way as beef but being much leaner it is often cooked with a slower, moist heat. Moose stew and bannock is a traditional dish in these parts and pictured here is a dish similar to Shepherd's Pie.

Photo by Chef Yves Lauzon

http://www.food.com/...tomatoes-475779

I'm still waiting for the first crocus to appear in my yard. It has not been warm enough yet this year but I expect that I shall encounter one soon enough. Once they come along, they put on quite a show and pop up along the fence lines in profusion. Horses do not eat them or Jacob's ladder I have observed. This photo was taken in 2010.

B0000711.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...