Photo
- - - - -

Teaching aids for Darwin-- for religiously challenged Yanks.

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#52 maikeru

maikeru

Explaining

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:15 PM

I've never read any Darwin, so this question is an honest attempt to get information: does Origin of Species really have nothing about the origins of life? The story in Genesis starts out looking a little like the physical world we know (if you squint hard enough), but it falls apart with the introduction of humans.

I don't suspect for a second the post I'm quoting is an attempt to learn anything, so I'm not directing this at its author, although if he knows the answer and wants to offer it honestly, I'm very willing to read his answer too.

Thanks.

It's been a while since I've read parts of The Origin, but in a sense it depends on what you mean by the term "origins." At some point, change, adaptation, retention of favorable traits, divergence, etc. become acts and events of creation and origination of new life. It's often known as "descent with modification" (from Darwin). When you keep modifying, tinkering, and changing an organism, what was cannot remain as it was forever. As for the origin of life, that's still being debated and worked out. :)

One way to think about evolution, IMO, is to think of what has happened and is happening with human languages over time, the ways they've diversified, evolved, and changed over time. Now think of living organisms as embodiments of "genetic languages" (like DNA) communicating, expressing, changing, and being. That's how I see them.

#53 tarteelequran

tarteelequran

Curious

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:36 PM

The Holy Quran is for the humanity to act upon its commands and spend a wonderful life and life hereafter. I would recomned to learn Quran online with tajweed in online Quran classes.

#54 JMJones0424

JMJones0424

412.63 ppm

• Members
  • 1241 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:13 AM

The Holy Quran is a book among many holy books that makes assertions whose validity must be accepted through faith regardless of evidence.  As this is a thread about observations rather than faith claims, your post is off-topic.  If you want to proselytize, please do so elsewhere.